Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/12/2011, 11:16 PM   #6626
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Here are some pics of the new Orphek LEDs. We are getting PAR values of 600 a few inches below the surface, 300 on the substrate at the centre and 250 on the substrate near the glass. We are still running the MHL & T5 but only for part of the day.

Unread 04/12/2011, 11:26 PM   #6627
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Our two Bangai cardinals are a month old and almost ready for the display tank. We have two newly captured fry about the size of a grain of rice and the parents are still breeding. We had a few hundred Reidi sea horses last week but we didn't have rotifers ready to feed them. We will be prepared next time.

Papa bear with mouth full of fry

Little bear at one month old

Baby bear a few days old

Unread 04/12/2011, 11:31 PM   #6628
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Misc. pics...

Unread 04/12/2011, 11:35 PM   #6629
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Unread 04/12/2011, 11:38 PM   #6630
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Unread 04/12/2011, 11:38 PM   #6631
nineball
Registered Member

Well done Mr. Wilson.......

Peter

Unread 04/12/2011, 11:43 PM   #6632
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Well done Mr. Wilson.......

Peter
My pleasure, I will take some close-ups and moonlight shots on thursday, now go to bed!

Unread 04/12/2011, 11:44 PM   #6633
syedjilani
Registered Member

Amazing...... Love your tank..... Very beautiful...

Old 300G tank thread " My 300 Gallon Reef in Saudi Ar

Current Tank Info: shttp://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2150301
Unread 04/13/2011, 01:24 AM   #6634
jmurr8484
Registered Member

You have the system of the century; hands down.

Unread 04/13/2011, 01:46 AM   #6635
killerbee181
Here fishy fishy!

Absolutely amazing. You guys have done a fantastic job. I can't believe how great your tank looks in such a short amount of time! Can't imagine what this tank will look like in a year or 5 years! Good job.
Terry

Unread 04/13/2011, 05:19 AM   #6636
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Spectacular. Congratulations Peter, Shawn et al.

45,000 Lumens of Stray Light Plasma to grow Chaeto and Mangroves

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Current Tank Info: 96X30" 270Gal, Kessil 360WEs, BK250 Double Cone, 400 gal ASW station with continuous water change

Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 04/13/2011 at 05:29 AM.
Unread 04/13/2011, 05:48 AM   #6637
maroun.c
Registered Member

Love the pics Thanks fos sharing.
I'm interested in the comparison of the LED and MH lighting? Do yo usee any clear difference in the areas lit by MH and those lit by LEDs?
Any comparative PAR values would be appreciated as well as a reminder on which bulbs and ballasts reflectors you're using?
Thanks

Current Tank Info: 390G mixed reef
Unread 04/13/2011, 05:56 AM   #6638
Spirofucci
Registered Member

The world has been waiting for this.

Thanks from my little part of it.

mark

Unread 04/13/2011, 06:24 AM   #6639
Scej12
Registered Member

Wow! what an update! you boys have been busy - just like we all expected. Beautiful shots Mr. Wilson. The tank has really begun to take shape. Looking great so far!!

SJ

Unread 04/13/2011, 06:29 AM   #6640
gypsyboy38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
My pleasure, I will take some close-ups and moonlight shots on thursday, now go to bed!
Mind taking a video of the fish during feeding as well? I'm sure I'm not the only one that would enjoy watching that!

Unread 04/13/2011, 07:07 AM   #6641
zaheda
Registered Member

The tank is looking simply beautifull. I love those engine room pics, some hectic equipment you have playing with.The led lighting on the display tank brings out the colours.

Unread 04/13/2011, 07:53 AM   #6642
kharmaguru
Registered Member

THAT is a coral reef..

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon mixed reef, mangroves, algae scrubber, DIY LEDs
Unread 04/13/2011, 08:00 AM   #6643
dave.m
Registered Member

Tremendous transformation! It will be a pleasure documenting all of this.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
Unread 04/13/2011, 08:16 AM   #6644
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
Spectacular. Congratulations Peter, Shawn et al.

45,000 Lumens of Stray Light Plasma to grow Chaeto and Mangroves
The Straylight plasma fixtures don't look sexy even after a 12 pack, but the yellow light is a warm break from all the high Kelvin blue light. The mangroves and chaeto are growing rapidly which makes up for our space limitation (quality rather than quantity). One issue we are having with the refugium is a floating green Cyanobacteria. There is no surface skimmer or movement so we are manually skimming with cups and nets. Part of the problem is the stray bubbles from the RK2, the bigger part is the 510- nm Straylight. I will do some dimming tests and try a 100 watt high bay LED spotlight instead.

The good news is the quality and angle of our new LED lighting on the display has not caused any extra nuisance algae on the walls, rock or substrate. We havent experienced any additional bleaching of newly added corals and the older ones are noticeably coloring up. This is partly to the credit of the quality of light, but largely due to the quantity and new coverage of previously shadowed areas (namely near the glass).

We have added a bit of heat, but no more than we had expected from 1900 watts of LEDs. The Mhl photoperiod has been cut in half so it averages out over the day.

The other lighting issue we are really happy about is being able to angle the lights inward a few degrees to illuminate the sides of corals & rock as well as mounting them up and out of the way for easy access to the tank.

We

Unread 04/13/2011, 08:22 AM   #6645
msr224
Registered Member

Just.................. WOW!!!!!

Nice results. How long have you had the Orpheks installed and what have you seen as a result of installing them?

Current Tank Info: Just a mixed reef tank.
Unread 04/13/2011, 08:41 AM   #6646
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroun.c View Post
Love the pics Thanks fos sharing.
I'm interested in the comparison of the LED and MH lighting? Do yo usee any clear difference in the areas lit by MH and those lit by LEDs?
Any comparative PAR values would be appreciated as well as a reminder on which bulbs and ballasts reflectors you're using?
Thanks
We are using Aqua-Medic magnetic ballasts with their small reflector. We don't have room for anything bigger. While large reflectors are great for tanks 3' or wider, I find they cause algae growth on glass, substrate and overflows. They also tend to project too much light into the room for a less dramatic display. Our compact reflectors were giving us 160PAR at the substrate near the glass and 200 at the substrate near the centre. This is pretty uniform coverage for a 30" tall tank with the fixture only 10" above the water. If there was no rock in the tank the coverage would be even more uniform.

We tried the old style Aqua-Medic electronic ballasts, but PAR and lumens were almost 50% lower!!! We havent been able to get our hands on their new improved electronic ballast.

I will do some more lux and PAR testing and post the numbers on a picture of the tank to map it out. I will also post the photoperiod ofeach light. The Mhl look more like natural light with a nice calm shimmer. The LED shimmer is a little faster due to the multiple points of light. When all of the lights are on, it blends nicely with a subtle mix. This was our goal since natural reefs never look homogenous. The 250 watt Mhl alternate between 13,000k Aqua-Medic and 14,000k Phoenix. Most of the usable and visible light from the Mhl is coming from the 13,000k bulbs. We ordered a more blue mix in our LEDs to cancel out some of the white look, but I still find white light to be more natural.

We had a 13,000k 250w mogul fixture on the tank during our testing; I think we could have used this fixture with a heavy blue mix of LED to drown it out, but overall the 250s were still the smart choice.

Unread 04/13/2011, 08:53 AM   #6647
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by msr224 View Post
Just.................. WOW!!!!!

Nice results. How long have you had the Orpheks installed and what have you seen as a result of installing them?
We had a browned out acro in the display that took a bit of a beating from too much flow and a few subsequent falls. We moved it to the Mars system and were shocked to see it turn a beautiful white with bright purple tips. After a month I moved the coral back to the display and positioned it between the LED and the Mhl. After a week it still has the nice tips but the white is browning up with zooxanthellae now. It still looks good.

The overall appearance of the tank, rock, corals and fish is a night and day difference. Peter had no idea how corals fluoresce under blue light. You just don't get the same effect with T5, and it only takes 4 x 2 watt blue LEDs in each fixture to do it. Over a 6' span, that's 20 watts LED vs. 78 watts T5 and again, a world of difference.

Unread 04/13/2011, 08:59 AM   #6648
fote03
Registered Member

Wow! Everything looks great.

Unread 04/13/2011, 09:01 AM   #6649
D5HP
Registered Member

I'm not sure if this was covered or if this is information you'd like to provide but is there a rough estimation of electrical power consumption for the reef or a related cost?

This is just such a remarkable system...the progress in just the past two months is astounding!

How many times a day are you feeding the DT tank fish?

Again, can't say enough about this tank and all your hard work. Also -> great photographs

Current Tank Info: 20g custom rimless mixed reef, 26 CREE LEDs, custom control [the ultimate robotic reef] and a 75g peaceful (sort of) FOWLR
Unread 04/13/2011, 09:05 AM   #6650
mkbtank
Premium Member

Just Stunning!!!

Closed Thread