Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12/12/2011, 11:12 PM   #1
dylanjs
Registered Member

DIY Tank - ISO Advice

Hi all,

I'm back at Reef Central after almost 4 years away from the hobby. Nice to be back!

I'm thinking about making a DIY tank for a spot in my kitchen's dining area. My ideal dimensions are 4' L x 16-20" D x 18" H.

Does anyone have words of wisdom for me on the following topics:

Acrylic vs Glass?
Material resources in NYC area?
Pre-existing plans?
Critique of dimensions?

Thanks in advance,

Dylan

dylanjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 11:23 PM   #2
jrapp13
Registered Member

Wouldn't it be much simpler to just use a 75g tank? Or are you just doing this for fun?

jrapp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 11:26 PM   #3
dylanjs
Registered Member

It's more for fun. I need a project. :-)

dylanjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 09:40 AM   #4
coralnut99
Registered Member

Well idle minds................

NYC presents some interesting issues I think. Apartment? Condo? Against a wall or island/room divider?

Working with acrylic requires entirely different techniques and tools, and having never built one, I'll just leave that one for the acrylic gurus in this forum. My only comment would be that if this is a room divider of some sort, acrylic may not be the best choice for an area that will see some traffic.

Building glass tanks is just a whole different game. The very first thing I recommend to people thinking it over is to build a small glass box about the size of a 5g. Silicones can be tough to work with if you've never done it.

Fun is one thing, but I think NYC prices for glass may take some of the fun out of it. Develop a cut list that includes eurobracing strips and get it priced out before you go much further.

Current Tank Info: way too much to list, and still adding more!
coralnut99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, diy