Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Hanna Instruments
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/22/2012, 07:04 PM   #326
klondike4001
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissgaurd View Post
thankyou
i did 2 tests back to back
first test 475 ppm
second test 473 ppm

bought a brand new salifert test
410 ppm

used an expired salifert test
410ppm

i would like to compare the test results using a calcium standard
to see which one i should use.

vic

I was using Salifert as well and I would test in the 400-425 range, when I got the meter I was a little put off by it showing my calcium in the high 490's, so I checked with an API just for fun and it was spot on w/ the Hanna test, I then looked at the lot no. for the Salifert kit had complaints that it read way too low.

Guess no one's perfect.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon SPS Dominated Reef, 2 MP40's, 6 X 54W PM, ATI Bubble Master-200
Old 02/22/2012, 09:36 PM   #327
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

ran the test twice and got 481 and 483. seems like this may have potential.

Reef Central is the most automated portion of my tank.

Current Tank Info: 125g SPS Tank
Old 02/25/2012, 05:38 PM   #328
cato
New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondike4001 View Post
Modified Hanna Ca Checker Procedure
1. Add 1.0 mL of sample water to Cuvette A of the sample cuvettes using the syringe with the green plunger.
2. Use the dropper to fill cuvette A to the 10 mL mark with deionized water. Replace the cap and invert the cuvette 3-5 times to mix and set to the side.
3. Turn the meter on by pressing the button, all segments will be displayed. When the display shows “Add”, “C1” with “Press” blinking, the meter is ready.
4. Add 1 mL of Reagent A to cuvette B using the syringe with the white plunger. Use the dropper to add 8 mL of deionized water to the cuvette. Replace the cap and invert 3-5 times to mix.
5. Place cuvette B into the meter, close the lid and press the button. When the display shows “Add”, “C2” with “Press” blinking the meter is zeroed.
6. Remove the cuvette from the meter and unscrew the cap. Fill the syringe with the green plunger to the 1 mL mark with sample from cuvette A and discard what remains in the Cuvette. Add the 1mL from cuvette A to cuvette B.
7. Add 1 packet of Reagent B to the cuvette B. Replace the cap and shake vigorously for 15 seconds or until the powder is completely dissolved. Allow air bubbles to dissipate for 15 seconds before taking a reading.
8. Place cuvette B back into the meter and close the lid. Press the button. The meter displays calcium concentration in ppm.
With no disrespect meant toward klondike, something tells me the above "modified test" may have a typo I highlighted in red. Maybe??
My question is why only 8ml and not 9ml. 9ml would give the total of 10ml in the cauvett whereas only adding 8 yields a total of 9. Just doesn't seem right. Reason I'm asking is I tried the above method twice and keep getting a blinking 600. Unless I'm just screwing something up in the process. God knows it's possible. lol Getting frustrated with this checker though.

Current Tank Info: 300g Starphire, Deltec, Geo, Radium, VorTech...
Old 02/25/2012, 07:26 PM   #329
klondike4001
Registered Member

You need to have a final volume of 10 ml, if you add 9 then the 1ml from the other cuvette you'd end up with 11. If you end up with 11ml your sample is diluted too much and you get false readings.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon SPS Dominated Reef, 2 MP40's, 6 X 54W PM, ATI Bubble Master-200
Old 02/26/2012, 08:33 AM   #330
cato
New England

OK thanks. I'm messing up somewhere along the process then. I will reread and retry. Thanks again.

Just reread it and found where my mistake was.

Current Tank Info: 300g Starphire, Deltec, Geo, Radium, VorTech...
Old 02/27/2012, 09:38 AM   #331
pscott99
Registered Member

My test this Saturday. I did the original Hanna method and followed the FAQ they supplied in this post, ( which should be put on their website or made part of the manual ). I used the syringe with the tip added. I very carefully measured and counted 6 drops as my .1ml sample. My reading was 440 which I believe to be accurate. For what it's worth. Stating the obvious again it's all about the carefull measurement of the tank sample. Klondike just makes that process less prone to error. I'm not going to beat this up anymore. I think Hanna and Klondike have made my tester usable and accurate enough. Cudo's to everyone for sticking it out. It will be interesting to see what comes of this. Cheers to all.

Old 03/24/2012, 03:02 PM   #332
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondike4001 View Post
1. Add 1.0 mL of sample water to Cuvette A of the sample cuvettes using the syringe with the green plunger.
2. Use the dropper to fill cuvette A to the 10 mL mark with deionized water. Replace the cap and invert the cuvette 3-5 times to mix and set to the side.
3. Turn the meter on by pressing the button, all segments will be displayed. When the display shows “Add”, “C1” with “Press” blinking, the meter is ready.
4. Add 1 mL of Reagent A to cuvette B using the syringe with the white plunger. Use the dropper to add 8 mL of deionized water to the cuvette. Replace the cap and invert 3-5 times to mix.
5. Place cuvette B into the meter, close the lid and press the button. When the display shows “Add”, “C2” with “Press” blinking the meter is zeroed.
6. Remove the cuvette from the meter and unscrew the cap. Fill the syringe with the green plunger to the 1 mL mark with sample from cuvette A and discard what remains in the Cuvette. Add the 1mL from cuvette A to cuvette B.
7. Add 1 packet of Reagent B to the cuvette B. Replace the cap and shake vigorously for 15 seconds or until the powder is completely dissolved. Allow air bubbles to dissipate for 15 seconds before taking a reading.
8. Place cuvette B back into the meter and close the lid. Press the button. The meter displays calcium concentration in ppm.
I am curious as to how you can measure 8ml with the dropper? Are there a certain number of drops per ml?

Current Tank Info: PBT, Yellow Tang, Kole Tang, Matted File Fish, Bellus Angel, 2 True Percula Clowns, Lyretail Anthias (male), Bi color Dottyback, Purple Dottyback, Lubbocks Wrasse, Midas Blenny. SPS Corals and some LPS
Old 03/24/2012, 03:46 PM   #333
swissgaurd
Registered Member

has anyone checked this with a calcium standard

Old 03/24/2012, 06:36 PM   #334
klondike4001
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
I am curious as to how you can measure 8ml with the dropper? Are there a certain number of drops per ml?

There are graduations on the pipette.

Old 03/25/2012, 01:39 PM   #335
hkgar
Registered Member

Just tested, 3 results

Salifert 423
Hanna Original instructins 527
Hanna Klondike 464

Something is wrong here

Current Tank Info: PBT, Yellow Tang, Kole Tang, Matted File Fish, Bellus Angel, 2 True Percula Clowns, Lyretail Anthias (male), Bi color Dottyback, Purple Dottyback, Lubbocks Wrasse, Midas Blenny. SPS Corals and some LPS
Old 03/25/2012, 03:22 PM   #336
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Salifert 423
Hanna Original instructins 527
Hanna Klondike 464

Something is wrong here
I should add that I use a CA Reactor and my dKh is 8.1 and since my ca and dKh usually stay in some relationship with each other I am inclined to believe the Salifert test result.

Old 04/28/2012, 11:50 AM   #337
voyager_rob
Registered Member

I unfortunately purchased the Ca checker before coming across this thread.

Bad reading even after trying all the methods here.

WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY.

I will NEVER buy any Hanna product again in my LIFE!

Old 04/28/2012, 12:31 PM   #338
skidrow52
Premium Member

I am so happy with the CA Hanna checker since i bought the insulin syringe all the results are consistant! and the results are almost same as Salifert's I am using it since more than 6 months now, in the beginning I had issues but since i bought the insulin syringe and use pure DI water its perfect. Sorry to see mostly were not able to use it as expected

Current Tank Info: 150g Mixed Reef Tank, Hamilton Technology Cebu Sun HQI 250w x 2 + 54w x 4 T5, 100+ lbs Fiji Live Rocks, 150 NW Reef Octopus Skimmer, Filter Sock, Vortech MP40w x 2 on, Tunze Osmolator, American Marine Pinpoint PH Monitor, GFO & GAC Reactors
Old 04/28/2012, 08:44 PM   #339
Russter
Northern Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidrow52 View Post
i am so happy with the ca hanna checker since i bought the insulin syringe all the results are consistant! And the results are almost same as salifert's i am using it since more than 6 months now, in the beginning i had issues but since i bought the insulin syringe and use pure di water its perfect. Sorry to see mostly were not able to use it as expected
+1

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon
Old 04/30/2012, 05:48 AM   #340
notclear
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager_rob View Post
I unfortunately purchased the Ca checker before coming across this thread.

Bad reading even after trying all the methods here.

WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY.

I will NEVER buy any Hanna product again in my LIFE!
Have you tried the klondike4001 method? This method works very well.

160G (72"x22"x23.5"), 30G Sump, Vertex Illumina, Reefbrite, Nanobox Tide LED, Alpha Cone 200 Skimmer/Cleaner, ATB 1500 Return Pump on UPS, ATB 4200 with OM4 CL, 2 Reactors for Carbon & GFO, Profilux S
Old 04/30/2012, 11:25 AM   #341
BrklynArch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidrow52 View Post
I am so happy with the CA Hanna checker since i bought the insulin syringe all the results are consistant! and the results are almost same as Salifert's I am using it since more than 6 months now, in the beginning I had issues but since i bought the insulin syringe and use pure DI water its perfect. Sorry to see mostly were not able to use it as expected
where did you get the insulin syringe? is it glass? can you provide a link
i would like to give it a try

Old 04/30/2012, 12:09 PM   #342
skidrow52
Premium Member

I went to the pharmacy and bought a packet for around 3$ with 10 syringes 50 units its called that means 0.5 ml , 10 unit = 0.1 ml

Go to any pharmacy and get a 100 unit or 50 unit insulin syringe they are disposable syringes which diabetic patients use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrklynArch View Post
where did you get the insulin syringe? is it glass? can you provide a link
i would like to give it a try

Current Tank Info: 150g Mixed Reef Tank, Hamilton Technology Cebu Sun HQI 250w x 2 + 54w x 4 T5, 100+ lbs Fiji Live Rocks, 150 NW Reef Octopus Skimmer, Filter Sock, Vortech MP40w x 2 on, Tunze Osmolator, American Marine Pinpoint PH Monitor, GFO & GAC Reactors
Old 05/03/2012, 11:26 PM   #343
Darth Vedder
Sith Lord

Finally all the money I've spent on syringes and insulin not covered by insurance for my diabetic dog has paid off! Only thing is her syringes are 30 units (0.3 ml) so it will be quite a few squirts to fill it

Old 05/04/2012, 09:45 AM   #344
klondike4001
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vedder View Post
Finally all the money I've spent on syringes and insulin not covered by insurance for my diabetic dog has paid off! Only thing is her syringes are 30 units (0.3 ml) so it will be quite a few squirts to fill it
You only need 0.1ml (10 units) tank water for this test.

Old 05/04/2012, 11:36 PM   #345
Darth Vedder
Sith Lord

Yeah I know, I was going on no sleep for over a day, I was thinking for the 8 ml to add os DI water instead of the crappy dropper.l but I so use one of her syringes dor the 0.1 ml and a considering doing the serial dilution method to see how that works

Old 05/19/2012, 01:19 PM   #346
elcucuu
Registered Member

I bought this Hanna ca checker a couple of weeks ago and I thought I was the only until I saw this thread I ran the test today using both methods and got different readings all the time.
This is using the directions from Hanna
Cal 465 ppm
Cal 446 ppm
Cal 430 ppm

This was using klondike's method
Cal 443 ppm
Cal 571 ppm
Cal 503 ppm
And then I checked it against API
API Cal 440
API Cal 480
API Cal 440

I don't know if I did something wrong with Klondike's method but those last wo test didn't even come close. Klondike I don't know if I did something wrong but I'm still as confused as when I first started. Question when adding the 8ml and the the final diluted 1 ml is your final sample supposed to be over the 10ml mark on the culvette?

Old 05/24/2012, 07:24 PM   #347
Balz
Registered Member

I struggled with this checker for awhile too, was ready to toss it and came across Klondike's method. I've had weeks of repeatable results now. One thing I find to be helpful is to fill the second vile to the 10 mil mark with R/O water, then remove 2 mL with the green syringe (after it's been rinsed in R/O water.) Then add 1 mL reagent and continue as per Klondike's method. I feel this gives me greater consistency with the testing. And at the end of the day that’s what’s important to me. I’m not worried if my Ca is 427 or 458, I’m more concerned about changes over time from a known point, then I can dial in that fancy doser I spent so much time building

Old 06/03/2012, 09:20 PM   #348
bamf25
Registered Member

I am a new user pulling my hair out with this monitor also. My Red Sea calcium was 390, the hanna checker came up in excess of 600!?!?

Old 06/19/2012, 04:09 PM   #349
cpandrewschmidt
Registered Member

Just wanted to share my frustration with this checker as well. I was looking for a way to do Calcium tests easily as I'm colorblind and the Salifert is a pain for me as I have to recruit my wife to always help.

After multiple tests I can never get anything under 580 to show, most of the time 600 ppm. I can't possibly be any more care about following the instructions either. I didn't add any calcium for about 3 weeks thinking I was way high (should have checked with the Salifert) Ended up doing that to see I was in the low 300's. I used RO/DI and unless there's calcium in that, somethings off.

I didn't think all the posts would be true about a product not working correctly. I like to believe people put products that work. However, I can NOT recommend this product the way it tests and works currently. Hopefully HANNA corrects the testing procedure. There were some good suggestions in here.

Andrew

Old 06/20/2012, 08:12 AM   #350
klondike4001
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpandrewschmidt View Post
Just wanted to share my frustration with this checker as well. I was looking for a way to do Calcium tests easily as I'm colorblind and the Salifert is a pain for me as I have to recruit my wife to always help.

After multiple tests I can never get anything under 580 to show, most of the time 600 ppm. I can't possibly be any more care about following the instructions either. I didn't add any calcium for about 3 weeks thinking I was way high (should have checked with the Salifert) Ended up doing that to see I was in the low 300's. I used RO/DI and unless there's calcium in that, somethings off.

I didn't think all the posts would be true about a product not working correctly. I like to believe people put products that work. However, I can NOT recommend this product the way it tests and works currently. Hopefully HANNA corrects the testing procedure. There were some good suggestions in here.

Andrew
Give this a try, most people are finding it helps.