Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > House of Fins
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/06/2011, 07:40 PM   #1
mchud
Registered Member

Disappointed

I made a visit to the store on my way back from Nyc on Monday. I was disappointed i was in the store for over 20 minutes, not one person even greeted me or the friend that was with me. I stood in front of one tank for 10 minutes. There were 3 employees in the store. The only time i got a response was when i walked out the door and i said good bye. I have been to the store before and have had perfect service, and always make it a point to stop when ever im in the area and always walk out with a purchase. But i will say when i went across to the tanks showroom the person was great and was a pleasure to visit with. I am not trying to sound negative but the one thing i drill into all my employees in both my stores is always greet the person when they walk in no matter what. I just figured i would let you know what i experienced. The one thing i will say is the place is perfectly maintained and stocked as always.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon Dt, 150 gal sump, 100 gal frag tank and 12000 gal koi pond and 1200 goldfish pond.
mchud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2011, 12:21 PM   #2
humaguy
Premium Member

that always happens when I go too...but I still go...and now they have the Personatus there...

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2011, 03:47 PM   #3
layer3switchguy
Registered Member

Yep, nice store with beautiful livestock, but lousy employees. I get more personal service ordering on-line from most fish stores...

Not a very friendly place...

ATI 8 Bulb Powermodule (T5)
2 Vortech MP40W
Prodibio
Profilux P3ex Controlled

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic Tech
layer3switchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2011, 04:11 PM   #4
mchud
Registered Member

I am glad i am not the only one that has that happen, But like you said we still go. would of been nice if they actually replied. But oh well

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon Dt, 150 gal sump, 100 gal frag tank and 12000 gal koi pond and 1200 goldfish pond.
mchud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2011, 12:28 PM   #5
ed-84gt
Registered Member

Nice place to browse but seems to be so over priced..

ed-84gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2011, 10:58 PM   #6
Reefomania
Registered Member

I think it is refreshing to have a store where the employees who are working there don't swarm you and try to sell you something. Sounds like you went in, loved what they had and then when you needed help were engaged politely and professionally. I would give that a 10 out of 10 in my book. Anyhow, I am a loyal customer of the House of Fins. They are great in every respect. They know what they are doing and give fanatical support to their customers. If you are local or just passing through, this place is not just a store but a landmark and worth stopping in to see what the hobby is all about.

Reefomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2011, 10:14 PM   #7
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

House of Fins tends to be busy. While they have a nice selection, and just as Reefomania suggested, they are a landmark and worth the visit. That being said I prefer Greenwich Aquaria. You get more personalized service and better pricing. It's a beautiful and relaxed store as well.

House of Fins has some nice annual events, and their tank blowouts are very nice. Greenwich Aquaria has a mailing list with some excellent deals as well.

Bottom line for me is this. If I'm going to make that trip I take the time to visit BOTH stores since they are so close, and for anyone interested it's worth the trip to both.

IMHO- Tanks- House of Fins
Livestock- Greenwich Aquaria

8 Foot Envisions
InsaneClownFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 04:07 PM   #8
slow_leak
Premium Member

Greenwich Aquarium has one of two east coast Bentley dealers up the road. Greenwich has abundance of the 260,000 people who now make 50% of US GDP. They also pay RC over 700 per month. Jake Adams gets emtionally aroused when speaking of this place.

That said why not bark and tell them you need service. I buy based on selection and quarantine methods.

slow_leak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2011, 05:24 PM   #9
ReefingIt
Registered Member

"I am glad i am not the only one that has that happen, But like you said we still go. would of been nice if they actually replied. But oh well"

When you can sell show Blue Face angels for $2500 and Golden puffer for $900 a pop? They don't have to reply". Rich folk's playground. I very sadly admit, just window shop the very few times I do make it down there. Nice shop though.

ReefingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/28/2011, 10:15 AM   #10
fishieness
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchud View Post
would of been nice if they actually replied. But oh well
I'm sorry you didn't have a pleasant experience. Please introduce yourself next time! I always enjoy talking to people, especially others from RC. Since I started working full time, I don't have as much time to peruse the boards, so I have to get my reef-geek talk with people in the shop.
-Christian ("the new guy")

Current Tank Info: 8 gallon rimless cube, 33 watt diy crees, deltec MC500, RKL, ato, 5.5g sump, 4g fuge.
fishieness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2011, 06:00 PM   #11
ed4
Red Hot Spender

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishieness View Post
I'm sorry you didn't have a pleasant experience. Please introduce yourself next time! I always enjoy talking to people, especially others from RC. Since I started working full time, I don't have as much time to peruse the boards, so I have to get my reef-geek talk with people in the shop.
-Christian ("the new guy")
Everything said above is true. It doesn't hurt in the fact that Christian's a really nice guy too

Elos Pool 120XL - Giesemann Spectra 400W & T5 - ATB Ext. M - KZ Dosing & Biopellets - Ogles Mesoscope - 2x Vortech MP40W ES - Tunze 6055's, 7095, Osmolator - RKE - Aqualogic Cyclone - Full Echino-CUC - Hoover Platinum Carpet Cleaner w/ Spill Pickup Mode

Gone: AI 4' LED, Elos System Mini, Tunze Nano Wavebox
RIP: Red Dragon II Pump, Wavy Seas / X-Wave / Mocean (I wish I hardly knew thee.)
ed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2011, 08:05 PM   #12
fishieness
Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words Ed! My new tank I was telling you about unfortunately is off to a slow start. I'm still not sure where I want to put it, although it would be easy to move. haha
How's that colony looking? Better and better? I need something that size for my little cube. Leopard still doing well?

Current Tank Info: 8 gallon rimless cube, 33 watt diy crees, deltec MC500, RKL, ato, 5.5g sump, 4g fuge.
fishieness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2011, 08:48 PM   #13
ed4
Red Hot Spender

Well, I'm sure you're very familiar with the expression: it's better to take your time with the execution of the tank than to have things happen quickly...

I think Zoas and extoic Rics are in your imemdiate future! Snag a paired-off Helfrich's for your 1st set of fish too.

The pink already set into the corallites and now the green is starting to fill into the base of the colony, and it's starting to resemble what most if not all would consider an Aussie Strawberry Shortcake. I was hoping for a blue base so the colony would resemble into a Blueberry Shortcake, but I'm not complaining by any means

Other than a few weeks ago, the Black Leopard is MIA. She's probably coming out while I'm at work, and before the lights come on.

Elos Pool 120XL - Giesemann Spectra 400W & T5 - ATB Ext. M - KZ Dosing & Biopellets - Ogles Mesoscope - 2x Vortech MP40W ES - Tunze 6055's, 7095, Osmolator - RKE - Aqualogic Cyclone - Full Echino-CUC - Hoover Platinum Carpet Cleaner w/ Spill Pickup Mode

Gone: AI 4' LED, Elos System Mini, Tunze Nano Wavebox
RIP: Red Dragon II Pump, Wavy Seas / X-Wave / Mocean (I wish I hardly knew thee.)
ed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2012, 10:19 PM   #14
RichardinMa
Registered Member

I realize this is an old thread but I just visited them for the first time the other day and I have to admit I was a bit put off, too. The employees were very friendly and I had at least three of them ask if I needed help or had questions. Any questions I had were answered politely. The biggest problem I had was that none of the corals were priced throughout the store and when I asked about pricing I was told that they have a master list they work off of and that they could not possibly price them on the tanks as they are always getting new things in and it changes a lot. How that is any different than any other store I don't know. I was told that if I needed to know the price of anything I could just ask. Reading through the lines, I figured that this was the kind of place that if you had to ask then you probably were not going to be prepared to pay for it. That is exactly the type of thing that really put me off the place.

I certainly understand the typical clientele and perhaps price is not important to them, however, it is to me. Price is of concern to me, not because I may not be able to afford it, but rather, because I don't like being taken advantage of. The few prices I did get were about 4 times what I know I can pay at other stores for the same quality. Again, demographics may support this pricing strategy but not all wealthy people have more money than sense and some people like to know they are getting proper value. You also have to wonder if the prices are the same for everyone that asks or are they inflated depending upon how much money you appear to have. That one aspect of their business completely ruined the experience for me and I don't see myself going back. Perhaps I am taking it too personally, however I find it quite disrespectful to be required to go around the store asking "how much is that?" and appear to be cheap or simply pay whatever they feel like asking without question.

I also visited Greenwich Aquaria the same day and even though their prices were high they were posted on very nice printed signs located beneath each aquarium. It was a completely different level of class.

RichardinMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2012, 04:23 PM   #15
iceman16238
Registered Member

Maybe they just don't want markers writing all over the tank making it look tacky like a wholesaler? The tanks look a lot more clean and neat without all the paint on all over it. JMO!

Current Tank Info: 75gal, T1000 skimmer,2-150watt aquastarlight future, 2 ritteri anemones,1 goniapora,2 clowns, 5 tangs, and a niger trigger
iceman16238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2012, 09:24 PM   #16
nonstopfishies
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman16238 View Post
Maybe they just don't want markers writing all over the tank making it look tacky like a wholesaler? The tanks look a lot more clean and neat without all the paint on all over it. JMO!
Then they should come up with a system to display prices. I have seen many stores employ different strategies of displaying prices to make it look clean. Besides this is a store and not a display, they should show their prices.

Old 03/04/2012, 09:52 PM   #17
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopfishies View Post
Besides this is a store and not a display, they should show their prices.
This is a place to LOOK, not purchase! Be assured it's way overpriced, so who cares if it's marked, or not!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 450g DT/770g reef system
albano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2012, 05:37 AM   #18
slow_leak
Premium Member

There are no prices on the Bentley dealership next to it either.

They wanted 55 usd for a CO2 bubble counter last time I went. I laugh and left.

Old 03/07/2012, 06:29 AM   #19
RichardinMa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopfishies View Post
Then they should come up with a system to display prices. I have seen many stores employ different strategies of displaying prices to make it look clean. Besides this is a store and not a display, they should show their prices.
Exactly. Like I said, when I visited Greenwich Aquaria that same day they had all of their prices very neatly printed out on cards beneath each tank. It looked very nice and clean and I could decide for myself if the piece was worth what they were asking.

RichardinMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2012, 08:51 AM   #20
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_leak View Post
???? the Bentley dealer is not even on the same street!

Old 03/18/2012, 09:54 AM   #21
slow_leak
Premium Member

Yes but it is a short walk.

Old 03/18/2012, 02:32 PM   #22
iceman16238
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
This is a place to LOOK, not purchase! Be assured it's way overpriced, so who cares if it's marked, or not!
Were you looking for $5 blue tort frags? If you can't afford it, dont buy. They are known for having nicer than average and rare fish and corals and they are in greenwich. Were you expecting to pay online prices?

Current Tank Info: 75gal, T1000 skimmer,2-150watt aquastarlight future, 2 ritteri anemones,1 goniapora,2 clowns, 5 tangs, and a niger trigger
Old 03/18/2012, 02:40 PM   #23
iceman16238
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_leak View Post

They wanted 55 usd for a CO2 bubble counter last time I went. I laugh and left.
I think all that we use here in America is USD..... other than that, what brand CO2 bubble counter was it that you were asking about? Was it a cheap plastic one or a high end glass one? Knowing them ( and i go there often enough to by now), I would expect it to be made by a high quality, reputable brand. If your looking for cheap knockoffs and lower quality, stick to the coralife brand (much better pricing!!!!). You get what you pay for IMO. BTW, would you expect to go to a Bentley dealership (which is actually on the same street.....) and ask for or expect Honda pricing??? Just my 2 cents and that's enough. lol. St. Patrick wasn't so forgiving to me this year

Old 03/18/2012, 03:29 PM   #24
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Were you looking for $5 blue tort frags? If you can't afford it, dont buy. They are known for having nicer than average and rare fish and corals and they are in greenwich. Were you expecting to pay online prices?

BTW, would you expect to go to a Bentley dealership (which is actually on the same street.....)
with the exception of 'rare' fish/coral...their fish/coral are no different than most other LFS...do you really think a Flame Angel from GREENWICH CT. is worth over $100 more than my FA 15 miles away, from Mt.Vernon NY?
you are more than welcome to spend your $ anywhere you want, and proudly tell everyone you bought it in Greenwich!

here is the address for Bentley of Greenwich, per their website:
275 West Putnam Avenue
Greenwich
CT

Google shows it more than 1 mile away from HoF

The next time that you're in the 'neighborhood' ask to speak to the owner of the Bentley Dealership...ask if she knows Alfie (that's right, just my first name)...feel free to ask if she'd loan me $5 for a frag.

BTW a few of the employees there are also reefers.

Old 04/15/2012, 06:36 PM   #25
ReefPharmer
Registered Member

Quote:
Were you looking for $5 blue tort frags? If you can't afford it, dont buy.
Quote:
BTW, would you expect to go to a Bentley dealership (which is actually on the same street.....) and ask for or expect Honda pricing???
That type of attitude is ridiculous. When I go to a bentley dealership, I expect a Bentley. I dont expect a prius for a bentley price. The post dealing with the price was stating that they were charging high prices for regular stock. If they had triggers w/ a gold grill over the teeth, I would consider paying more. If they have regular clown triggers (for example) but charge 100+, I object.

The "if you cannot afford it, dont buy it" is somewhat condescending. People w/ money to burn do just that, but it doesnt stop the rest of the 99% of us from noting the ridiculously overpriced gear some places sell.

ReefPharmer is online now   Reply With Quote