Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Reef Specialty
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 02/26/2012, 09:13 AM   #1376
acropora nut
Registered Member
 
acropora nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaimal View Post
Mike, What would you recommend for my 260G total water volume fully stocked SPS reef? I am debating between
1)Super Reef Octopus 3000 External Protein Skimmer and
2) Octopus Super Reef XP3000 External Cone Skimmer




There is a $150 price difference between these two. No 1 is one inch shorter. This will allow me to add a cup cleaner later.

What are your thoughts? Is there a big performance difference between these two to justify the $150?

Thanks.
I do prefer the full cone over they hybrid body .. Less turbulence and less head pressure for the pump.In your case I (height restricted) would go with the SRO so you can add the head cleaner.....I LOVE THEM! Best add on I have on my system.Please feel free to give me a call if you have any other questions.


Thank you

Mike


acropora nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2012, 09:20 AM   #1377
acropora nut
Registered Member
 
acropora nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,516
Sro & XP skimmers are back in stock!

Many have been waiting for the SRO 3000 INT to become available again.. They are back in stock


SRO 3000 INT





acropora nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2012, 03:06 PM   #1378
akaimal
Registered Member
 
akaimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lombard
Posts: 362
Thanks mike! I have few more questions.. If I keep the external skimmer in the sump, do I have to worry about water level? Can I increase the height of the exit pipe? How deep in the water can it sit. I have 11 inches of water in the skimmer compartment.

Thanks, Anand


akaimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2012, 03:18 PM   #1379
acropora nut
Registered Member
 
acropora nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaimal View Post
Thanks mike! I have few more questions.. If I keep the external skimmer in the sump, do I have to worry about water level? Can I increase the height of the exit pipe? How deep in the water can it sit. I have 11 inches of water in the skimmer compartment.

Thanks, Anand
The height of the output drain is roughly 10.5 to 11 inches high. I would not recommend raising the drain this will cause the skimmer to lose adjustability. What is your reason for wanting to run an external skimmer in sump..are you concerned about overflows?

Mike


acropora nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2012, 06:02 PM   #1380
akaimal
Registered Member
 
akaimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lombard
Posts: 362
The issue is that I am limited to 31 inches of space inside the cabinet. I also have 11 inches of water in the sump. So I am trying to find a skimmer that will let me keep it all the way on the floor of the sump, so that I can also install a head cleaner. According to what i read, all of the octopus internal skimmers needs to be kept in 6 inches of water right? That means that I need to keep it on top of something in the sump. So with the skimmer around 24" tall, with the stand it's going to be 30" tall. That lives me no space for the cleaning head.

So I am trying to find out Something that would fit in my sump and at the same time allow me to add a cleaning head.

Lmk.

Thanks, Anand


Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330300871.415322.jpg (33.7 KB, 55 views)
akaimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2012, 09:42 AM   #1381
acropora nut
Registered Member
 
acropora nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaimal View Post
The issue is that I am limited to 31 inches of space inside the cabinet. I also have 11 inches of water in the sump. So I am trying to find a skimmer that will let me keep it all the way on the floor of the sump, so that I can also install a head cleaner. According to what i read, all of the octopus internal skimmers needs to be kept in 6 inches of water right? That means that I need to keep it on top of something in the sump. So with the skimmer around 24" tall, with the stand it's going to be 30" tall. That lives me no space for the cleaning head.

So I am trying to find out Something that would fit in my sump and at the same time allow me to add a cleaning head.

Lmk.

Thanks, Anand
Hello Anand,

When you have a free moment please give me a call...I hope to talk to you soon.

Thank you

Mike


acropora nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2012, 04:43 AM   #1382
Stolireef
Premium Member
 
Stolireef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 2,205
Blog Entries: 5
Does anyone know whether the bubble blaster pump can be retrofitted to the original Octopus. I bought my original one a few months ago and like the new pump.


__________________
I want to burn twice as bright and half as long.

Current Tank Info: 110 SPS Reef with 2x250 14K MH and 2x54 Actinics, 3 Tunze Stream 6095, and an MP40 all on Apex and a Geo Ca Rx
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2012, 11:23 PM   #1383
jason2459
Registered Member
 
jason2459's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolireef View Post
Does anyone know whether the bubble blaster pump can be retrofitted to the original Octopus. I bought my original one a few months ago and like the new pump.
You can check out if the one you have is listed here and if it needs a conversion part or not

(scroll down)
http://coralvue.com/bubbleblaster/


__________________
rebuild and recovery log:
No more red house, you'll have to click on my name and visit my homepage!

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g w/ 150lbs of rock and beananimal's drain to a dolomite RRUGF. 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2012, 11:24 PM   #1384
jason2459
Registered Member
 
jason2459's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,900
Mike, I've heard that the bubble blasters have a new pinwheel design? Is this true and if so do you sell it? Don't think I saw it on your site.


__________________
rebuild and recovery log:
No more red house, you'll have to click on my name and visit my homepage!

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g w/ 150lbs of rock and beananimal's drain to a dolomite RRUGF. 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2012, 11:58 AM   #1385
acropora nut
Registered Member
 
acropora nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Mike, I've heard that the bubble blasters have a new pinwheel design? Is this true and if so do you sell it? Don't think I saw it on your site.
There is a new pump design for the 1000,2000 & 3000 pump. The parts are not interchangeable .


Thank You
Mike


acropora nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2012, 12:44 PM   #1386
rinconmike
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: by NYC
Posts: 721
is there a new pump for an XP2000sss? I was never thrilled with the production of mine which is 2 years old and wondering if a newer pump will make a difference?


rinconmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2012, 01:03 PM   #1387
jason2459
Registered Member
 
jason2459's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by acropora nut View Post
There is a new pump design for the 1000,2000 & 3000 pump. The parts are not interchangeable .


Thank You
Mike
That sucks, I just bought the 3000 a few months ago. Any reasons to upgrade?


__________________
rebuild and recovery log:
No more red house, you'll have to click on my name and visit my homepage!

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g w/ 150lbs of rock and beananimal's drain to a dolomite RRUGF. 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2012, 07:17 AM   #1388
acropora nut
Registered Member
 
acropora nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
That sucks, I just bought the 3000 a few months ago. Any reasons to upgrade?
The new pumps perform the same..Just a different internal design.


Mike


acropora nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2012, 08:04 PM   #1389
frogspawn74
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: O' Fallon, MO
Posts: 194
Hi Mike

Ive given up reading after 20 pages so ill just pose the question.
I have a 300DD with a 100 gallon sump and another tank(200g) all plumbed together. Its mostly sps/lps with some softies. basically 600gallon system. Moderate on fish so not a heavy load. I ordered a SRO 6000 ext a month ago. Supply was an issue and I was refunded for the time being.

Now that I have lots of time to think about this I thought I would ask someone else. I posted the ? elsewhere with very limited response to the sro 6000 ext. And not much out there from other people on this specific skimmer.

Is this skimmer worth it? and do you have in stock? Or is there a better alternative for around this price range?


frogspawn74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2012, 08:23 PM   #1390
jason2459
Registered Member
 
jason2459's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,900
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459
That sucks, I just bought the 3000 a few months ago. Any reasons to upgrade?
The new pumps perform the same..Just a different internal design.


Mike
Great. Thanks for the input. Is it quieter now?


__________________
rebuild and recovery log:
No more red house, you'll have to click on my name and visit my homepage!

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g w/ 150lbs of rock and beananimal's drain to a dolomite RRUGF. 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2012, 07:42 AM   #1391
acropora nut
Registered Member
 
acropora nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogspawn74 View Post
Hi Mike

Ive given up reading after 20 pages so ill just pose the question.
I have a 300DD with a 100 gallon sump and another tank(200g) all plumbed together. Its mostly sps/lps with some softies. basically 600gallon system. Moderate on fish so not a heavy load. I ordered a SRO 6000 ext a month ago. Supply was an issue and I was refunded for the time being.

Now that I have lots of time to think about this I thought I would ask someone else. I posted the ? elsewhere with very limited response to the sro 6000 ext. And not much out there from other people on this specific skimmer.

Is this skimmer worth it? and do you have in stock? Or is there a better alternative for around this price range?
My two choices would be...Please feel free to give me a call if you have any other question.

XP 5000 EXT

XP 8000 EXT


acropora nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2012, 07:44 AM   #1392
acropora nut
Registered Member
 
acropora nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Great. Thanks for the input. Is it quieter now?
The new design is suppose to be quieter.


acropora nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2012, 08:46 PM   #1393
tangtang clown
Registered Member
 
tangtang clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The DUB, NC
Posts: 2,901
Hey guys. I sold my octo extreme 200 with bb3000 and gate valve today. I'm looking to upgrade for my 125dt with 30g sump and 20g fugue. I have a lot of SPS and LPS as well as softies. There are 12 fish in my dt. I was going to go with a used SFO 3000 int but seller went ghost. I'm open for internal or external models. Which should I get?
Thank you


__________________
Mind over chatter.
tangtang clown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2012, 08:46 PM   #1394
tangtang clown
Registered Member
 
tangtang clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The DUB, NC
Posts: 2,901
Double


__________________
Mind over chatter.
tangtang clown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2012, 12:13 PM   #1395
acropora nut
Registered Member
 
acropora nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangtang clown View Post
Hey guys. I sold my octo extreme 200 with bb3000 and gate valve today. I'm looking to upgrade for my 125dt with 30g sump and 20g fugue. I have a lot of SPS and LPS as well as softies. There are 12 fish in my dt. I was going to go with a used SFO 3000 int but seller went ghost. I'm open for internal or external models. Which should I get?
Thank you
I would stick with the SRO or XP 3000..I think this will be a nice upgrade for your system..


Mike


acropora nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2012, 12:25 PM   #1396
tangtang clown
Registered Member
 
tangtang clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The DUB, NC
Posts: 2,901
Thanks Mike. Might give you a call to discuss details. Should I go with internal or external?


__________________
Mind over chatter.
tangtang clown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2012, 05:28 PM   #1397
Avaron
Registered Member
 
Avaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA Bay Area
Posts: 63
I have the XP 5000 Internal. Love it.

Here's my problem: I'm getting varied performance on skimmate because my water level in the sump fluctuates.

Background: My goal is to try to keep the water level of the sump in between 6 - 6.5 inches per feedback in this thread so that the pump works most efficiently. That said, the water level in my sump (40 gallons) fluctuates when water evaporates. The water level stays fixed in the DT (350 gallons) and separate refugium (50 gallons). I manually top off the water when get a chance, which is probably every other day, but sometimes don't get around to doing it that often. The reduced amount of water in the sump results in reducing the amount of foam that is created in the neck of the skimmer, and ultimately affect skimmate production to the cup. The long term solution would obviously be to get an ATO system which would keep the sump level stable.

As a quick fix, what you think if I built an elbow pointing down from the outlet so that it was submerged in the water, say 3 inches from the bottom of the sump?

Will the added friction of the submerged pipe give me more consistent performance without having the adjust the output all the time because my sump water fluctuates? Or am I better off not doing the T idea and keeping the output of the skimmer submerged all the time (ie. having the sump always at a 8-10 inch water level).

Again, I know the long term answer is putting together an ATO solution, but maybe the T idea can help until I get around to the ATO project.



Last edited by Avaron; 03/19/2012 at 06:10 PM.
Avaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2012, 02:27 PM   #1398
Adamc1303
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,074
So what's the verdict? Which one is better cone or regular?


__________________
This hobby wouldn't be where it is today if we didn't have RC to help each other out!
Adamc1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2012, 02:38 PM   #1399
acropora nut
Registered Member
 
acropora nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamc1303 View Post
So what's the verdict? Which one is better cone or regular?
I prefer the cone.. Less head pressure on the pump and less turbulence in the skimmer body which makes the skimmer more efficient..

Mike


acropora nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 11:09 AM   #1400
BfishLpond78
Registered Member
 
BfishLpond78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oxford CT
Posts: 4,749
I just picked up a Reef Octopus Super Reef 3000SSS Internal Skimmer for my 150 gallon system. It will be a mixed reef. I plan to dose carbon and GFO. Will this skimmer be too much or too little for what I have described. I do have a tendancy to over stock sometimes.

Please let me know your thoughts...thanks.


__________________
CTARS BOD Dropout

Current Tank Info: In a drought...
BfishLpond78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014