Reef Central Online Community
Aquarium Supplies at Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Digital Aquatics
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/21/2012, 07:50 AM   #1
TEKWRX
Registered Member

ALC Ramp down issues...

I got my DIY LED setup a few weeks ago, and has been working fine with the ALC. 3 days ago the ramp down has been malfunctioning. I have both the ramp up and ramp down set for 90 minutes for the whites, and 180 minutes for blue. The ramp up works as expected, but the ramp down happens extremely fast, maybe in just 10-15 minutes. Any ideas as what might be causing this? Like i said, all was working fine for about 2 weeks. My setup consists of 3 Meanwell ELN-60-48D's and Cree LEDs. Please help, this is most annoying

Last edited by TEKWRX; 03/21/2012 at 08:20 AM.
TEKWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2012, 08:47 AM   #2
andywe
Registered Member

Are you using a single ALC to drive those drivers? The mean well drivers pull allot of voltage and could easily be overwhelming the ALC. The ALC was designed around dimmable T5, and in other conversations with DA one mean well driver is usually ok, 2 work out well for some, but 3 may be too much for a single unit.

What happens if you have just one driver on each channel. I would try that and see if it works ok or not.

If it doesn't, then head over to the DA forums as that is where they do support.

andywe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2012, 12:59 PM   #3
TEKWRX
Registered Member

Yeah, I am just using 1 ALC. I just re-flashed the firmware for the ALC and the RKL head unit and it seemed to ramp down OK last night. We'll see if it continues working. The problems seemed to start when I bought a 6 wire phone splitter to enable me to keep the SID connected to my PC to enable the running of MyReef. I wonder if that was causing issues? If so, I guess I will have to bite the bullet and order a hub module. I wish DA would offer a more affordable way to keep the SID connected at all times....

Old 03/22/2012, 06:16 PM   #4
andywe
Registered Member

Oh that phone splitter needs to be a certain type! They make two types..a crossed configuration and straight through. You must use a straight through splitter.If you use a crazed splitter it could damage your unit.

andywe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2012, 11:46 AM   #5
TEKWRX
Registered Member

All SEEMS to be working Ok now that I've got the splitter removed from the system. How can i tell if the splitter is straight or crossed? I got one from ACE hardware that gave me the troubles, but I also got one from eBay that I haven't tried yet because the look exactly the same. Here is the link to the eBay one, is it safe to use?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120490624087...#ht_2127wt_911

Old 03/23/2012, 10:54 PM   #6
n2585722
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKWRX View Post
All SEEMS to be working Ok now that I've got the splitter removed from the system. How can i tell if the splitter is straight or crossed? I got one from ACE hardware that gave me the troubles, but I also got one from eBay that I haven't tried yet because the look exactly the same. Here is the link to the eBay one, is it safe to use?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120490624087...#ht_2127wt_911
Do you have an ohm meter to check it?

n2585722 is online now   Reply With Quote