Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Indicate those species you keep in your tank
Macropharyngodon bipartitus 16 21.05%
Macropharyngodon choati 6 7.89%
Macropharyngodon geoffroy 11 14.47%
Macropharyngodon meleagris 18 23.68%
Macropharyngodon negrosensis 14 18.42%
Other 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03/21/2012, 07:06 PM   #2176
Mike S
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. I've always read that it suppresses their appetite.

Mike S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2012, 07:23 PM   #2177
Mike S
Registered Member

Skimmer off while treating with prazi pro right? I've only every used it in my QT.

Old 03/21/2012, 07:28 PM   #2178
jason2459
Registered Member

Do you use some kind of carbon source to help drive up a bacteria population? Like vodka, vinegar, or bio-pellets? If so I would leave the Skimmer running but open up the gate valve almost all the way so it doesn't actually skim anything out but still provides air water mix to help with the O2 levels. It will foam like crazy so you may need to open it all the way up or take the collection cup off if its an insump skimmer. If you don't provide a carbon source then just take it offline completely and remove any carbon (GAC) .

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g w/ 150lbs of rock and beananimal's drain to a dolomite RRUGF. 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2012, 07:34 PM   #2179
Mike S
Registered Member

Thanks Jason yes I do use biopelets so I will just open it up as you suggested. Its a new skimmer and is just breaking in so I'll need to keep an eye on it over the next few days. The tank is treated. I should treat the tank once a week for a total of about 3 treatments right?

Old 03/21/2012, 07:36 PM   #2180
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

the prazi pro also produces micro bubbles so there will be plenty of oxygen but thats a great idea jason . good stress reduction for sure .

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2012, 07:39 PM   #2181
Mike S
Registered Member

You guys aren't kidding about the microbubbles lol. The bipartitus could care less but is really making my carpenter flash.

Old 03/21/2012, 08:36 PM   #2182
jason2459
Registered Member

I do three to be safe after reading through this thread a few times. Though twice would probably be enough. If the Skimmer is new then you're in for a double whammy of microbubbles as a Skimmer or most all new plumbing as well creates microbubbles until broken in. You can try and put a fine micron sock like 100micron or less over the Skimmer outlet or a big foam block to help reduce the micro bubbles. 200micon might be fine too and may be easier to find. Is this an in sump Skimmer?

You could also temporarily shove some of the polyfill type pads used for wetdry trickle filters between the baffles if they can't keep up with the microbubbles.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g w/ 150lbs of rock and beananimal's drain to a dolomite RRUGF. 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank

Last edited by jason2459; 03/21/2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03/27/2012, 08:05 PM   #2183
Mike S
Registered Member

Knock on wood it has been just about a week and my bipartitus is doing good. He's eating pe and hikari mysis and rods frozen between picking at my rocks. Hasn't taken any flakes yet but has nibbled at hikari freeze dried brine. He's also starting to get up earlier each day. Just did a second treatment of prazi tonight.

Old 03/27/2012, 10:47 PM   #2184
jason2459
Registered Member

Sounds great Mike. good luck.

I'm getting close to getting my Kuiter's in my main tank and stressing out about what will happen. We'll see in a few more days. So far she's been doing great. Likes all types of mysis, the PE cyclopeeze and baby brine right up front. Picked up on the mixed frozen but doesn't really go for the pellets. Sleep cycle is on track with my main tank now.

Old 03/30/2012, 12:56 AM   #2185
gemini aquarius(t)
Always Learning

Bought a Macropharyngodon negrosensis from my LFS today, but decided to leave him in the store for a day or two to calm down from all the shipping/acclimation/handling stressors. My question is thinking into the future. Is it possible to keep a leopard wrasse (or a few) healthy and thriving off of cyclopeeze, PE mysis, and flakes/pellets? I know they pick on copepods almost constantly, but should I worry about them depleting the pod populations?

7.5 gallon Cube 12"x12"x12"
45 gallon Shallow Reef 36"x24"x12" in the works
gemini aquarius(t) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2012, 06:47 AM   #2186
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

certainly it it ,the only "trick" is to feed them often enough . i feed mine six to eight times a day with no problems . yes i do a 25% waterchange every week and have no nitrates . mine only get cyclopeeze,PE and nutrimar ova which is prawn eggs and very small ,kind of like fish crack as they cannot resist it

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?

Last edited by iamwrasseman; 03/30/2012 at 06:49 AM. Reason: because
Old 03/30/2012, 02:57 PM   #2187
reefjunkie42
Wrasse junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwrasseman View Post
certainly it it ,the only "trick" is to feed them often enough . i feed mine six to eight times a day with no problems . yes i do a 25% waterchange every week and have no nitrates . mine only get cyclopeeze,PE and nutrimar ova which is prawn eggs and very small ,kind of like fish crack as they cannot resist it

the best thing to feed!

200 gallon Reef, Temp 78.1, Ph 8.1, Sg. 1.024 Calcium, 420, Mag 1200,Nitrate 0, ammonia 0 ..Apex,VDM,WXM, Aquailluminations x 3, SRO XP 3000SSS, Vortech MP 40 es W, Ebo-Jager 200w x2, Genesis reef ATO

KINGDOM, PHYLEM,CLASS,ORDER,FAMILY,GENUS,SPECIES

Current Tank Info: 200 gal reef tank. 4 vortech mp40's, reef octo 3000sss, apex,geo calc reactor....
reefjunkie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2012, 08:23 PM   #2188
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

thats it in a nutshell !

Dave

Old 03/30/2012, 11:13 PM   #2189
SoCalDude
SPS/Wrasse Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini aquarius(t) View Post
Bought a Macropharyngodon negrosensis from my LFS today, but decided to leave him in the store for a day or two to calm down from all the shipping/acclimation/handling stressors. My question is thinking into the future. Is it possible to keep a leopard wrasse (or a few) healthy and thriving off of cyclopeeze, PE mysis, and flakes/pellets? I know they pick on copepods almost constantly, but should I worry about them depleting the pod populations?
I find that after getting mine to eat frozen and flake/pellets, they do not really spend as much time looking for pods.

Neptune Apex Controller
SoCalDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2012, 05:15 AM   #2190
Paramecium
One man wolf pack.

When I got my Potter's I left him at the store for a month to hang out in the copper treated tanks. Brought it home and give it about a two hour acclimation. It was eating frozen mysis right off the bat and after about a week of throwing some pellets in with the frozen it started eating them. Now he fights for pellets with the rest of the fish, only feed once a day and he is fat and happy.

I know that they can be tricky fish but if you wait for a good healthy specimen your chances of them surviving go up exponentially.

Current tank info: 70 Gal Oceanic Tech Tank. Mixed reef. 36" 6 bulb ATI Sunpower.
Paramecium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2012, 05:37 AM   #2191
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

so cal dude , in no way am i doubting you but mine are fed six to eight times a day and still all they do is pick on the rock work in the hopes of finding pods . i have always found this to be true but you may have some that don't have that ultra high metabolism as most do .
Paramecium , you should tell your LFS that most of the time they will be killing their wrasses with a copper treatment as wrasses do not tolerate copper very well at all.the leopards are especially effected by copper in a negative way as they are extremely sensitive to it and rarely make it through a copper treatment

Dave

Old 03/31/2012, 08:45 AM   #2192
jason2459
Registered Member

Mine eats constantly all day including feeding 6x. Feed pellets on a timer 4 times a day then feed a cube of frozen when I get home and another cube a couple hours later. I still see them picking at the rocks and the corners.

BTW, it's done the Kuiter's is in the main display... She's an early riser and got her in before the rooster got up. Hope all goes well when he gets up.

Old 03/31/2012, 09:47 AM   #2193
jason2459
Registered Member

Potter's has been out for a while now and looks like they are not only are doing OK but seem to actually like each other. They have been swimming around with each other like the Potter's is showing the new girl around town.

Old 04/01/2012, 12:07 PM   #2194
jason2459
Registered Member

Kuiter's and Potter's are doing absolutely great together but the Potter's has decided he now HATES the smaller bipart that I have left.

Just can't win and seems like the Potter's will have nothing to do with more then one other Leopard in the tank. I'm going to just try and remove the bipart and see my LFS will trade in. Sucks I had to get an aggressive one. Don't know if all Porter's are like this or just this one. He is growing really well and looks awesome so decided to keep him and just the Kuiter's.

Old 04/01/2012, 09:14 PM   #2195
Postal
Registered Member

You can add me to the list of addicts.

I have a pair of negrosensis and a female meleagris sharing a tank with my orange-spotted filefish.
And next weekend I am picking up another female meleagris along with a female bipartitus from a fellow reefer who is moving cross country and needs to find homes for his livestock.
The new meleagris will go with my current one in hopes of getting one to change to male. The bipartitus will go in another tank and hopefully have a girlfriend or two added eventually.

Here's a trio you probably don't see very often.

Postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2012, 10:40 AM   #2196
jason2459
Registered Member

Very nice looking Postal. I would love to get a negrosensis but seems like my Potter's wont allow more then one other leopard in my tank.

Old 04/02/2012, 09:17 PM   #2197
jason2459
Registered Member

Patience pays sometimes. Decided to give it at least a couple days and see what happens today since the bipartitus was scared into the sand pretty quickly yesterday.

Watching today the Potter's, Kuiter's, and bipart were all out and swimming around. The Kuiter's and Potter's almost seem like mates the way they have been swimming around together. The Bipart is still a bit skittish and every so often the Potter's darts after her but it's not a constant charging like he did with the larger bipart I had and like he was yesterday. Hope it settles down some more but it's a better sign then it looked yesterday. I still would be scared to add anymore like I would like to but just don't want to chance it anymore.

Old 04/03/2012, 06:41 PM   #2198
jason2459
Registered Member

Looks like there is some what of a peace agreement. The Potter's and Kuiter's still swimming around all over the tank like mates. But it looks like the bipart is only hanging around the right half of the tank and is not venturing over to the left side at all. There is still the quick dashes every so often from both the Kuiter's and the Potters. They are quick and over with when it happens and seems like just their way of showing their dominance. It will be interesting to see if the bipart will continue to keep turning male. The face is greener and has been slighting changing since I got him. Maybe one of those natural born males?

Old 04/04/2012, 09:30 AM   #2199
jason2459
Registered Member

Here's a video I took last night. It finally uploaded and processed. The Kuiter's is still camera shy but you can see her come out of hiding to warn the bipart to stay on his side of the tank. Then the Potter's goes over and flashes him and does a short little dash to say I'm the rooster of the tank. This is much better then the I'm going to kill you mad chasing that was happening. Excuse the algae out break as my pukani dry rock is in the process of leaching PO4. It's already starting to die off.

HD video link: http://youtu.be/QyNO5p8eHtM?hd=1

Old 04/04/2012, 06:43 PM   #2200
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

Can't view your video. It says it's private and the owner must grant me access.