Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > ReefLEDLab
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/07/2012, 06:13 PM   #1
looneytunes
Registered Member

A lot of help needed

Hello,
I have a 60x24x24. The light will be about 8" from the water.

1. How many led's/type(eventually will want corals)?
2. What size and how many heatsinks?
3. Which driver is the easiest(no idea what i am doing) to work with?
4. Can more than 1 driver be attached to the power supply plug thing you sell?
5. How much do the heatsink(s) mentioned from above question weigh?
6. Do you have "instructions for dummies"?
7 .What optics, if any, do you recommend?

I have 2 outlets on my reefkeeper to use which is why i asked the power supply question.
sorry for all the questions
thank you for any help you can give,
christine

Old 03/07/2012, 10:41 PM   #2
ReefLEDLights
registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneytunes View Post
Hello,
I have a 60x24x24. The light will be about 8" from the water.

1. How many led's/type(eventually will want corals)?
2. What size and how many heatsinks?
3. Which driver is the easiest(no idea what i am doing) to work with?
4. Can more than 1 driver be attached to the power supply plug thing you sell?
5. How much do the heatsink(s) mentioned from above question weigh?
6. Do you have "instructions for dummies"?
7 .What optics, if any, do you recommend?

I have 2 outlets on my reefkeeper to use which is why i asked the power supply question.
sorry for all the questions
thank you for any help you can give,
christine
Christine

1) Depends on the type of corals. Generally one would want a 250 MH equivalent for most corals a 400 watt equivalent for SPS and Clams on the sand bed...For a tank your size with optics that would be 90-110 XP LEDs based on our PAR measurements.

2) When it comes to thermal management...Size matters. I would recommend two of our 24" x 8.46" Heatsinks.

3) We prefer the Inventronic class of drivers. Each can run 15 LEDs at 700mA and can be dimmed with a potientiometer, APEX, Profilux or Reef Keeper.

4) Not really, the best option is to use our plugs and them plug them into a surge protector or fused power strip.

5) 5 LBS/FT...Size matters...When it comes to thermal management, mass and surface area are important...Our HeatSinkUSA heatsinks are the best.

6) No Dummies Here...Your not looking for LEDs from a LFS. We just did a PDF for our Phoenix DIY Kits. Toss us an email and we will send you the draft. Other than that our website is the most comprehensive build site online.

7) Optics are a force multiplier. We chose to use the best...Carclo...Over no name Chinese optics. Our ripple wide will be perfect if you can raise the fixture a bit. If not we are testing a 80 degree reflector which looks very promising at your height.

For the reefkeeper stay away from Mean Well Drivers as the Inventronics play much better with the RKM ALC.

No worries on the questions both me and Rick have reef tanks.

Bill

Old 03/31/2012, 08:07 AM   #3
looneytunes
Registered Member

Thank you for all the info.
I have been going back and forth on which kit would be best and I am getting really confused.
What is the difference between the drivers you have now and the Hyperon that you mention coming in April?
I am leaning towards the Pheonix kit because the Plutus seems to come to a similar price when I add the things that are included with the Pheonix.Is the price close? or am i doing something wrong?

Old 03/31/2012, 10:10 PM   #4
ReefLEDLights
registered Member

Christine

The price should be the same or very close with the addons.

The Plutus main difference is the XP-E Premium Cool Whites vs the XP-G Premium in the Phoenix.

We are looking forward to our new Hyperion Drivers and as soon as its in stock we will have these standard with the Phoenix and Plutus Kits.

The Hyperion Driver was named after the greek god of light. It was engineered with the same quality of our Inventronics Driver. The Major difference is its dimmable down to 13% not 20%.

Bill