Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > The Filter Guys
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/01/2012, 08:27 AM   #1
daplatapus
Registered Member

Pressure switch not working?

Hi guys! The other evening I was re-filling my 30 gal brute after doing a water change. I've been having some issues with the pump cutting in and out during the night so I usually turn the pump on only during the day when I need to re-fill the bucket. Anyway the other evening I forgot to shut it off which shouldn't be a big deal as the pressure switch should have done that for me once it was full and the float switch closed. Well, when I got up in the morning and went down to feed a fish in QT I noticed the boost pump was still running and the pressure gauge was reading around 100 psi. The water was no longer flowing thru the system because the float switch was up. I would imagine it had been running like that for 4-6 hrs or more. Now I'm noticing that when I'm making water the pressure from the pump doesn't get near where it used to.
Has the pump been damaged? Why did the pressure switch not kick the pump off? It's been working great since Aug.
Any help would be appreciated.

Current Tank Info: 80 gal display 48L X 24H X16D, 2 Koralia Evo 1050's, Odyssea 2-250W MH 4-HO T-5 Actinic's, 80 lbs Aragonite sand, 2 - 200W Eheim heaters, 2900 gph return pump, 80 gal sump, Filter Guys Reef Miser 6 stage + 1 Dual RO/DI system, Super Reef Octopus 2000
daplatapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Thefilterguys
RC Sponsor

The system must hold pressure in order for the switch to keep the pump off. Any drip leak and the pump cycles, which it sounds like you were experiencing. If you have water movement in your product water barrel that can also be an issue. Its hard to say weather the lower pressure reading is a pump issue or a pressure gauge issue. It is possible the gauge spring has been damaged if you were at max gauge pressure off and on for four to six hours.

What is the pressure read your now seeing?

Are you using one of our float valves or another type?

Jim

Phone 218 724-8000

Current Tank Info: 40 OCEANIC STRETCH HEX FRESH HEAVY PLANTED, 58 OCEANIC LPS, Monti’s ,Softy’s, 18 Nano Zoo’s , 11 Nano, 70 OCEANIC SPS New 200 Cube on the way
Thefilterguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2012, 09:41 AM   #3
daplatapus
Registered Member

I was experiencing some shut on/off because of a power head I had in there which I eventually stopped using. But because I'm running a Tunze osmolator ATO, there are times in the night that there is a legitimate call for water to flow into the product barrel due to lowered levels. So now I just keep an eye on it and when it get down to half or so I turn on the RO/DI system on to fill it. When I shut the system off I always shut the power to the pump first then the water supply and when turning on, the water first then the power to the pump.
I am running your float valve and it doesn't appear to be leaking.
I turned the system on this morning and with the water supply on to the system but no pump running it shows my house pressure around 48 PSI, then turning the power on to the pump and with water flowing thru the float valve the pump brings it up to around 56 PSI (if I remember correctly, this used to get up to 65 or so) then this is where things go fairly weird. If I gently lift yup on the float valve to simulate a full bucket, sometimes the switch kicks off the pump, but the PSI meter jump all over the place but eventually the system kicks off around 80 PSI. But the next time I try the same thing, the pressure builds up to 95-100, the pump keeps running. I can then flick the pressure switch with my finger and it shuts off. It's almost like something is sticking inside the switch.

Current Tank Info: 80 gal display 48L X 24H X16D, 2 Koralia Evo 1050's, Odyssea 2-250W MH 4-HO T-5 Actinic's, 80 lbs Aragonite sand, 2 - 200W Eheim heaters, 2900 gph return pump, 80 gal sump, Filter Guys Reef Miser 6 stage + 1 Dual RO/DI system, Super Reef Octopus 2000
Old 03/05/2012, 12:29 AM   #4
Thefilterguys
RC Sponsor

First of all I suggest going to a 0-160 pressure gauge as it sounds like the spring is damage from going over 100. Your pressure with the pump on should be in the 80-100 range. The system needs to come to pressure so the shut off is not instant as the canisters may not be totally full.

How much water is the Tunze adding to your tank each time it is on?

Jim

Phone 218 724-8000

Current Tank Info: 40 OCEANIC STRETCH HEX FRESH HEAVY PLANTED, 58 OCEANIC LPS, Monti’s ,Softy’s, 18 Nano Zoo’s , 11 Nano, 70 OCEANIC SPS New 200 Cube on the way
Old 03/05/2012, 08:45 AM   #5
daplatapus
Registered Member

I would estimate between 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon from the Tunze when it calls for it.
I'll have a look around locally and see if I can find a pressure gauge that reads to 160 psi.

Do you think the pump has been damaged seeing that it only reads 56 psi while running now?

Old 03/05/2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Thefilterguys
RC Sponsor

The last osmolator I saw came on four times in an hour on a small tank. Aquarium RO systems are not intended to operate like that, they work best making 2-3 gallons or more at a time. A pressure gauge going to 160 is going to tell us the condition of your system. It is possible the osmolator has caused an issue with the pump it's hard to say. Let's look at the real pressure and see what it's doing first.

Jim

Phone 218 724-8000

Old 03/05/2012, 09:54 AM   #7
daplatapus
Registered Member

OK, cool. But as a reminder, my RO system is not on normally during the day. I turn it on only once every 7 -10 days because I didn't like hearing it cut in and out at night. Because I've got a 30 gal brute I've got lot's of storage capacity. So when it's on it makes 15 -20 gallons then it's usually shut off totally.

Old 03/05/2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Thefilterguys
RC Sponsor

OK so your running the osmolator from a product water container then it's no issue and how your doing it is the way it should be run. Now you need a 0-160 pressure gauge so we can see what your system is doing. We have them if you can't find one locally.

http://thefilterguys.biz/accessories.htm

$26.00 - NOSHOK MODEL 911 - 0-160 psi Center Back Connection

Jim

Phone 218 724-8000

Old 03/30/2012, 07:49 PM   #9
daplatapus
Registered Member

Sorry this took so long, I had a bit of a time finding a 160 PSI gauge locally. But I did find one, installed it tonight. The running pressure is still around 56-58 PSI. When my reservoir fills up and closes the float switch the pump continues to run until it reaches 92 psi. It maxes out there and slightly fluctuates maybe 1-2 PSI but never shuts off.

Now what?

Old 04/02/2012, 11:03 AM   #10
Thefilterguys
RC Sponsor

You have it in your mind it's the switch and it may have issues caused by whatever the real problem is. First of all with your new gauge your tap pressure is 48 psi. With the pump running it should boost to the 92 psi reading but your only getting 56-58. One of two things, your filters are clogged or your water connection can't supply enough water this is proven by the fact your pressure goes to 92 psi when the float valve is closed. It would appear the pump is starved for water or it can't get water pressure beyond the filters until the float valve is closed. How long is the line feeding the pump? When did you last change filters?

When your filling the product water container over night is the Tunze turned on or off, another words is it still active?

Jim

Phone 218 724-8000

Old 04/02/2012, 03:51 PM   #11
daplatapus
Registered Member

Yeah, to be honest I never thought of the filters being plugged. I just assumed the pressure switch would have cut out, but I see your point. I installed the system in late Aug and haven't changed them. My bad on that one
The feed line is only about 2 feet long from a 3/4" manifold that feeds my entire house so that's definitely not it. I got a replacement set of filters from you when I bought the system so I'll switch them out and see what happens.

Old 04/02/2012, 04:28 PM   #12
daplatapus
Registered Member

My humblest of apologies, you were right. The filters were, in fact, plugged. Everything is now working, pressure switch and everything. But my ignorance may have damaged the pump. The working pressure now is only 76-78 psi. When the reservoir fills up the float switch closes, the DI chambers fill (the 2nd one seems to always run about 1/4 full during operation) and the pressure switch cuts the pump off when the gauge reads just under 80psi. I double checked those pressures with both the new gauge and the old one.
Have I damaged the pump and/or switch or is that pressure acceptable?

Old 04/03/2012, 09:19 AM   #13
Thefilterguys
RC Sponsor

No those readings are OK I think the pump is working alright. Remember when filling your container at night if the Tunze is on and the container fills and shuts off, when water is removed by the Tunze the pump will cycle and replace the used water.

Jim

Phone 218 724-8000

Old 04/03/2012, 01:52 PM   #14
daplatapus
Registered Member

yeah, and my wife hates hearing it kick on so I only turn it on every couple of days. It's a 30 gal brute can so I have lots.
Thanks for your help