Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > House of Fins
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04/22/2012, 04:38 PM   #26
mchud
Registered Member

Wow this thread is still going, i started it a year ago. I have not looked at it for a long time. I will be stopping in again from my trip to Nyc. Evan after last years visit it still is worth the stop.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon Dt, 150 gal sump, 100 gal frag tank and 12000 gal koi pond and 1200 goldfish pond.
mchud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2012, 07:00 AM   #27
hottuna
Registered Member

This store should be re-named "HOUSE OF FINANCE "

Old 10/22/2012, 06:17 PM   #28
jaa1456
Registered Member

I have been twice, and they are way overpriced. Even their store across the street with the tanks. I can buy a Marineland 300dd tank anywhere, so why pay 1500 more for it in their shop? Doesn't make sense to me. And Allie you are correct, they get their fish and corals from the same wholesalers other shops use. They don't have divers just for their store that send livestock directly to HOF. By the way I'm pretty sure there are more than 2 Bentley dealers on the East Coast.

jaa1456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2012, 07:01 PM   #29
humaguy
Premium Member

they do use divers but they also have connections at the wholesalers...getting a juvi personatus, cinereus, or dr seuss fish is no easy feat...their costs might be reflective of their location which has higher rents than many other locations...but you cannot argue over the fish they bring in...their splash 2012 weekend had killer speakers like copps, fenner, and jake adams...pretty awesome for a lfs...

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2012, 08:03 PM   #30
jaa1456
Registered Member

I have seen other lfs's bring in those fish and many others. Absolutely Fish in NJ for instance always has something exotic and hard to find. The Elos studio in NJ as well brings in high dollar fish as well. But I guess if you are going to pay all those people to speak in your shop you have to charge more money for your stock. It still bothers me though that on one of my trips to HOF they were telling me a hippo tang was a yellow tailed damsel.

Old 10/22/2012, 08:24 PM   #31
humaguy
Premium Member

nobody has had a tiny personatus in a long, long time, if ever at that size...cinereus, I think there are 4-5 on the continent...dr seuss....pia, dd and hof...af does get some nice fish but can also be expensive...not sure about the misidentifcation...elos just opened- and has not competed with this type of rarity...

Old 10/22/2012, 08:28 PM   #32
humaguy
Premium Member

imo, hard-to-find and super-rare are very different...Rhinecanthus Lunula is hard-to-find...Rhinecanthus Cinereus is super-rare...

Old 10/22/2012, 09:15 PM   #33
jaa1456
Registered Member

I don't think HOF had any of the personatus angels. Maybe one if that. The Dr suess fish should be a fairly cheap fish. I have never understood why that fish is so expensive. It is not a rare fish by any means and are an easier fish to collect. As for the triggers, I know where a lunula is sitting for sale right now and it is not at any of the before mentioned Lfs's. I believe Absolutely Fish just had your Cinereus a few weeks ago. As for Elos they have been bringing in some high priced items. They had a Dr.Seuss as well as a Gem Tang recently. I have heard a few other rarities have come in, but I haven't seen them. Earli wrasse and a Clarion. Although when Clarions are collected I do see them in Absolutely Fish every year.

Old 10/23/2012, 05:01 AM   #34
humaguy
Premium Member

Hof had a juvi personatus 1 year ago...I saw it a few times and have pics of it.. many others in here also saw it...search for the thread, I am pretty sure I started one...
That was the only one I know of to make it here is a long, long time...it was sold before it even made it to the store...
They also brought in the first Cinereus and displayed it one year ago at Splash 2011...dd finally got theirs in last May, which I have...Michael got one in around June, which happyjack has...think Michael got one other after that, Canada got a couple, and there are a few more around...fish from Mauritius are coming in more frequently now so perhaps we will start seeing them more often...
As far as triggers go, a Lunula is one of the harder to find, especially smaller specimens...dd for example might offer 1, maybe 2 a year...Michael has a large one,10 inches, now that has been there for a while...much easier to obtain than a Cinereus...
Earli wrasse pop up very often pia has them frequently...gem tangs pop up a few times a year or more...
Clarions are not collected every year...there was a batch out last spring...Michael at nya just sold his remaining one with the odd tail yesterday..
Not sure what you mean by the Dr Seuss fish should be a fairly cheap fish...are you aware of the extreme depth (you need closed-circuit/rebreathers) they are caught at and the decompression issues associated with collecting a fish from there? af was one of the first to import this fish in 06...

Old 10/23/2012, 08:03 PM   #35
jaa1456
Registered Member

Do you know they catch the Dr.Suess fish and eat them regularly for food? It gets fairly large and I guess that part is not well known seeing how few make it to the trade. But they are common just like Gem Tangs are and Clarions are. The collection regulations are what drive up the prices of these fish. South Africa is loaded with Gems but you can't collect them, Mauritius sends them out but it is a pia to get them shipped out of there. Clarions are everywhere off of Mexico as well, I have dove with the and there are plenty of them. I know about the oar tail from Nyaquatic as well. I bought some of the first fish he ever brought in.

Old 10/08/2013, 01:02 PM   #36
afishionado
Moved On

jaa1456. You are full of it ...

Just like your stories of Z. rostratum and knowing the collectors in Kiritimati, personally ...

The following quote, among others related to the link below, is just a small glimpse into the idiocies you deteriorate this site with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1456 View Post
Obviously you have no clue what you are talking about. Black tangs are a deeper water fish, and are collected at Christmas Island for the most part. Very few divers go for them and last I heard there were only 2 divers collecting this fish. If you call directly to these divers they are selling them for 300-350.
Z. rostratum, if anything, would be considered a shallow water species ... You, nor 99.9% of all hobbyists, have a direct connect in Kiritimati, aka Christmas Island, to call and order Black Tangs; what a joke ... Very many divers, during that time period, were collecting Z. rostratum in CXI; about 10-12 collecting operations worth, actually ... What's obvious is jaa1456 the one who clearly does not know what he's talking about, yet insists on continually asserting his ficticious defecations all over this "fact" based reference site

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...1739124&page=4

Last edited by afishionado; 10/08/2013 at 01:54 PM.
afishionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2013, 01:10 PM   #37
afishionado
Moved On

Quote:
Do you know they catch the Dr.Suess fish and eat them regularly for food? It gets fairly large and I guess that part is not well known seeing how few make it to the trade. But they are common just like Gem Tangs are and Clarions are. The collection regulations are what drive up the prices of these fish. South Africa is loaded with Gems but you can't collect them, Mauritius sends them out but it is a pia to get them shipped out of there. Clarions are everywhere off of Mexico as well, I have dove with the and there are plenty of them. I know about the oar tail from Nyaquatic as well. I bought some of the first fish he ever brought in.
Wrong. Once again ...

H. clarionensis has a far more limited dispersion than, "everywhere off of Mexico". More along the lines of the Southern "tip" of Baja Peninsula; Revillagigedo Archipelago; Clipperton and Clarion Is. Respectively.

And while they are locally conspicuous, that's a far cry from common ... The only thing that's common is you and your idiocies, ah hem "facts"

Old 10/08/2013, 01:50 PM   #38
afishionado
Moved On

Quote:
Do you know they catch the Dr.Suess fish and eat them regularly for food? It gets fairly large and I guess that part is not well known seeing how few make it to the trade.
They catch Belanoperca pylei regularly and consume them as a food item ... Really !?!

B. pylei is a "true deepwater" fish, unlike your Z. rostratum facts/figures, which requires extreme measures, i.e. CC Rebreathers, in order to collect; As was aforementioned ...

You're privy to the UNDETERMINED (as in scientifically) knowledge/information of their documented full, mature size, jaa1456 ?

Old 10/08/2013, 02:29 PM   #39
humaguy
Premium Member

...ibtl...

Old 10/08/2013, 02:45 PM   #40
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Location: Katonah, NY/ San Fernando Ca./ Sea Isle City NJ/ Port St. Lucie, Fl./ Troupsburg, NY
IBTPA*

*In Before The Peppermint Arrives

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 450g DT/770g reef system
albano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2013, 02:53 PM   #41
humaguy
Premium Member

nice...

Old 11/09/2013, 12:42 PM   #42
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishionado View Post
Wrong. Once again ...

H. clarionensis has a far more limited dispersion than, "everywhere off of Mexico". More along the lines of the Southern "tip" of Baja Peninsula; Revillagigedo Archipelago; Clipperton and Clarion Is. Respectively.

And while they are locally conspicuous, that's a far cry from common ... The only thing that's common is you and your idiocies, ah hem "facts"
Actually they range further up the peninsula, all the way up to Mag bay, where we have collected them in the past. But like you said, the Bulk of them are on the islands.

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2013, 05:27 PM   #43
RxMike
Registered Member

Fellow reefers, those of you who are among the elite and made of money please disregard my post. I am speaking to the average reefer. Those of us who have other things we must do with our money. Like feed our families, dress our kids and save money for the future. Please wake up. Dont let the LFS take advantage of our hard earned money. Let the elite pay the greedy SOB the ridiculous prices they charge.

I live in Northern New Jersey. Absolutely Fish is near by. They charge ridiculous prices for wild SPS colonies. I was in the store late one evening and overheard the manager tell a kid that he mis priced a very colorful LPS coral. He did not know I was standing there. I overheard him say, I know we only paid $40 bucks for this peace but why are you only charging $250 for a beautiful colored coral under our lights that some idiot will pay over $600 bucks for it. I walked over to the tank after a few minutes and saw he changed the price to $600.00.

As an experiment i went back to the store a few days later. The coral was sold. The manager was right. Someone paid $560.00 more than what they paid for a coral. This was the wake up call for me. I hope you all wake up and stop throwing your hard earned dollars to rip off artists. If you want a particular fish or coral you can find it by being patient. I love this hobby. I just don't like how some store owners are so greedy and take advantage of people. Why does a busy busy high volume store need to over price the coral so much just to play on a consumers emotions. I am sorry but that is in my opinion just wrong.

RxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2013, 05:16 AM   #44
coralfarmer
Professional Aquarist

To Quote Anthony Calfo "A fool and his money... were lucky to ever get together in the first place."

Current Tank Info: Lots of water
coralfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2013, 08:24 PM   #45
RxMike
Registered Member

To Quote Anthony Calfo "A fool and his money... were lucky to ever get together in the first place."

Awesome..because it is so very true.

RxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2014, 07:20 PM   #46
jaketuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefomania View Post
I think it is refreshing to have a store where the employees who are working there don't swarm you and try to sell you something. Sounds like you went in, loved what they had and then when you needed help were engaged politely and professionally. I would give that a 10 out of 10 in my book. Anyhow, I am a loyal customer of the House of Fins. They are great in every respect. They know what they are doing and give fanatical support to their customers. If you are local or just passing through, this place is not just a store but a landmark and worth stopping in to see what the hobby is all about.
EXACTLY

OP they arent there to be your friends... I cant stand when ppl in stores come up and greet you as if you do not know wth store you are in or what you need.

HOF has always been solid.... DON'T HASSLE THE HOF!!!

OUT

Duncan/Zoos/Star Polyps/Mushroom - w/ ReefBreeder Photon48
jaketuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2014, 10:37 AM   #47
Bodnaahh
Registered Member

I think where people are going wrong here is that you cant go to HOF expecting a deal. Its a store that caters to the top 1% of the food chain. Hell, if I owned a fish store in Greenwich I would jack up my prices too. Its a cool place to go and look at. You just have to have realistic expectations and remember where you are and what the clientele is.

Bodnaahh is offline   Reply With Quote