Reef Central Online Community
The Filter Guys

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Genesis Reef Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04/24/2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Adamc1303
Premium Member

A Few Quick Questions

This system looks like it had allot of thought put into it and really is worth getting.

I see that it comes with 2 black bins. My guess is that those bins get water fed to them from a larger reservoir and are used for metering exactly how much water comes into one bin and makes sure the same amount goes out of the other bin? I am trying to figure out if this can connect to 100 gallon reservoir so I can do 100 gallon water changes at a time.

My next question is for the top of unit does it control my RODI and makes sure it tops off my top off tank and then turns it off either with a float switch or sensor or by timing it? Or is it just for topping off from a reservoir to the sump?

Thanks,

Adam

Old 04/24/2012, 06:59 PM   #2
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Hi Adam,

You guessed right - the two black bins are the Metering Reservoirs, and they ensure that exactly one gallon is removed from your sump and exactly one gallon is replaced. There really isn't any need to have larger Metering Reservoirs, since the RENEW™ is capable of performing up to 99 cycles every day.

The STORM™ and ROCv™ combination will refill your top off bin any time it gets low by controlling the production of water through your RO filter. The STORM™ will monitor the lower sensor and energize the ROCv™ when it gets low, then de-energize it when the top off bin is full by monitoring the top sensor. In this way TDS creep is minimized by refilling the entire top off bin all at once.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Kevin

Old 04/24/2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Adamc1303
Premium Member

so my RO unit connects to the actual system? It's will open and close the water line with an electronic solenoid valve?

Old 04/25/2012, 06:47 AM   #4
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Hi Adam,

Yes, the ROCv™ is inserted between your municipal supply and your RO filter, and will control the flow of water into the filter.

Old 04/25/2012, 07:11 AM   #5
Rploaded
Registered Member

Adam,

It's a great system with every possible redundancy issue well thought out ..

Kevin has a great product and its one of the best things I've done to simplify reef keeping.

Rploaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Adamc1303
Premium Member

I'm sold I am buying it! I used to have something like this on my tank where I had someone rig something up with a few solenoid valves. It would top off my top off tank and I would also be able to put it on a timer for filling up garbage cans for water changes. It was great but you know how it goes. You walk away, RO tubing falls out of garbage can, wife threatens to kill you and get rid of your tank via text... etc.. Or you over timed it or under timed it. It was great until I saw this system! I broke that tank down when I moved and I am planning a large system so this will be a part of it now.

Old 05/07/2012, 01:26 PM   #7
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

i have had this system for about a year. its the best investment i ever made. you guessed everything right. let me add this..
no matter how big or small of the bin u have there is a sensor in the system that will kill the feed to mettering bins as water get low. so say u set ur renew to do 30 gal water change but ur saltwater bin has only 25 gals in it. once the water reaches where the sensor is it will kill the water change. so u wont have any problems. similarly if for any reason ur sump runs short on water it has a sensor there that will kill the water change.
this system has so many fail safe sensors and features that u will never be disappointed.
Rvoc is an addition. you will never ever have to monitor u ro/di water bin anymore.
it will automatically fill the bin when it reaches low sensor and fill it to where the top sensor it. never over flow never dry.
i love the system.
Thanks You Genesis for a great well thought out product.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2012, 01:40 PM   #8
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumair View Post
i love the system.
Thanks You Genesis for a great well thought out product.

You're welcome! Thanks for the compliments!

Old 09/11/2012, 02:48 PM   #9
immokalee98
Registered Member

let me add this..
no matter how big or small of the bin u have there is a sensor in the system that will kill the feed to mettering bins as water get low. so say u set ur renew to do 30 gal water change but ur saltwater bin has only 25 gals in it. once the water reaches where the sensor is it will kill the water change. so u wont have any problems. QUOTE]

so really, I can reduce the size of my storage bins to save space? Now I use 55 gallon bins to keep from having to refill too often, however, even with a lid, the water sometimes gets a film buildup on the top.

I'm considering this system seriously.

immokalee98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2012, 11:06 AM   #10
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

i have 30 gal ro/di storage bin and 50gal saltwater bin. but i have a 300 gal system.
30 gal is monitored by genesis and it makes sure i have ro/di water in it all the time. it have a high and low sensor. when low is tripped ro/di unit comes on and fills back to high level. its best that way as ur not making small ro/di batches rather making large water and is good for membrane and rodi unit. small batches tends to have tds as it takes few gals before tds goes to 0.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2012, 06:19 PM   #11
Adamc1303
Premium Member

How long is the warranty on your products for and what does it cover?