Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04/26/2012, 07:34 AM   #1
kac01
Registered Member

Return in sump. Submerged?

Should I have my return in sump submerged or above water? If above water how do I prevent splashing without putting a filter sock on it? Thanks

kac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2012, 07:56 AM   #2
sefrayser
Registered Member

I have mine about 1-2" below water line.

sefrayser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2012, 08:51 AM   #3
therealshark
Registered Member

mine is about 3" into the water but i dont think it makes a differance how far below the water line.

Old 04/26/2012, 09:15 AM   #4
sefrayser
Registered Member

From what I have read, you dont want it to far below the water line. If its too far it will mess with the drain. You dont want to create too much pressure in the drain pipe in the sump. If its too far under the water in the sump it will affect the drain. What type of drain are you using? I use the Durso and after a couple mods I finally got it quite.

sefrayser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2012, 09:33 AM   #5
EricSIny
Moved On

you can also make a type of baffle using a large cylinder for the water to drain into.

using a cylinder w/ an enclosed bottom, mount it the the drain section of the sump about 1-2 inches below your desired water level. route your pvc drain into the baffle about 2 inches above the bottom of baffle, water will then flow through pvc and into baffle where noise and some bubbles will be reduced, water will then fill up baffle and flow into sump area. hope this helps!

EricSIny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2012, 09:57 AM   #6
HurricaneSystem
Registered Member

Mine is completely under the waterline. If the water gets too low, it will start blowing air bubbles.

HurricaneSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2012, 07:20 AM   #7
kac01
Registered Member

I'm using a Durso. Thanks for the help.

kac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Playa-1
Moved On

Mine is on the bottom of the sump and I would put it as deep as reasonably possible. The return section of the sump is where you will see water level fluctuation with evaporation. The level in that section can also fluctuate if you make certain adjustments such as to the skimmer or to the turnover of the overall system. The deeper the better IMO. I think mine is about 16"-17" below the water line in the sump when it's running.

Playa-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Playa-1
Moved On

If you're referring to the drain line then most people have them slightly under the water line of the sump to prevent splashing.

Playa-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2012, 09:28 PM   #10
skidoctor
Registered Member

mine is just above the water line into a sock. It wasn't as quiet as i had hoped, so i put a filter sponge in the sock at the actual water line. Quieted down drastically, and I have a spare bio filter for a QT tank when needed.

skidoctor is offline   Reply With Quote