Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04/23/2012, 08:23 AM   #1
jacob.morgan78
Registered Member

adding some LEDs to my setup for my stubborn clam

My issue is that I can't get my clam to stay on the rocks and he seems to be content on the sandbed. I'm scared to try to put him on the rocks again for fear that he'll land upside down if he falls.

I have the aquaticlife 72" fixture. It has 6 rows with 12 36" bulbs. For bulbs I have: (from front to back) Blue plus, aquatic lifes purple bulb, GE 6500, blue plus, coral plus, blue plus.

I got the recommendation to think about adding some LED's to make sure he's getting enough light on the bottom. It is a 24" deep tank. I was thinking about adding the Ecoxotic 48 Inch Stunner 24W LED Strip.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_...FILDLK-vi.html

Would this be good if I put it over the clam pointed in his direction somehow? I would also hope it could increase par enough for the sps in my tank along with the clam.

Any recommendations or guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

jacob.morgan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2012, 06:57 PM   #2
moliken
Registered Member

a good focused par 38 bulb would work better for the clam. dunno bout the sps. what kinda clam? there might be a diff reason for cam jumping: flow, inhabitants?

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
moliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2012, 08:17 AM   #3
jacob.morgan78
Registered Member

I'll have to look up par 38.

It's a maxima clam.

I have a good bit of flow but had it blocked from anything hitting it directly. I haven't seen any inhabitants messing with it.

can you look at this reply on another thread?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2161515

Thanks for the help!

Old 04/24/2012, 03:48 PM   #4
moliken
Registered Member

answer these ?'s and i'd have a better idea of what to advise, so bear with me.
list all yr inhabitants, water params incl hydrometer reading, the flow, age of tank, age of bulbs, [i see no actinics listed, and soon any clam will degrade without actinics], have you checked for pyram snails at night?
i disagree with the last comment in the linked thread, though. many reasons why that guy's crocea clam would not grab onto the rocks, same for u, so supply the info, and we're set.

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
Old 05/03/2012, 06:02 PM   #5
dtt
Registered Member

I agree with MOLIKEN, need actinics. I am running 6 , 5 foot T-5's. 3 true actinic, 2 blue plus and 1 fiji purple and have no problems with my clams or growth. Grant it they like to move around and like the sand bed better than the rocks because I am using what is called Bermuda Pink Sand which is small ground up shells and not find sand so they have plenty to grab of shells and such to adhere there foot to. 6 of my 8 (both M and C's) live in the shell sand base.

dtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2012, 08:45 PM   #6
jacob.morgan78
Registered Member

Blue plus, I thought, was the actinic spectrum plus more and had significantly better par than actinics.

Old 05/04/2012, 04:59 AM   #7
moliken
Registered Member

pure actinic, and a mix of other spectra should get what you need

Old 05/04/2012, 05:01 AM   #8
moliken
Registered Member

Blue plus:
Combines the properties of a blue bulb (approximately 460nm) with an actinic bulb (approximately 420nm), producing an intense blue light with high PAR numbers and a light spectrum that encourages both bluing in SPS corals and fluorescence in capable corals. Also helps balance a washed out/ yellow-hued tank. Recommended as a supplement to metal halides or in combination with Aquablue Special, Purple Plus, or other full spectrum T5 bulbs. Can also be used for dawn/dusk applications. (Similar to KZ Super Blue)
PURE ACTINIC
Produces a violet-blue light that is designed to maximize fluorescence in capable corals and make livestock colors pop. Color spectrum peaks at 421nm. Recommended as a supplement to metal halides or in combination with other T5 bulbs. Can also be used for dawn/dusk applications.
the charts tells it all, but i can't copy them