Reef Central Online Community
Salifert

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/04/2012, 11:55 PM   #1
devonian
Registered Member

which of these pieces of equipment are good for which of the animals ?

I read about sumps and see this list;

"...calcium reactor, a denitrifier, a phosphate-removing reactor, a place for filtration media such as GAC (granulated activated carbon), a Kalkwasser reactor, various probes to measure common water values and an automated top-off system (float or switch). Wow, that's a lot of stuff! "

While window shopping, I see leather corals, candy cane corals, mandarins, a tang, brains, gorgonians, wrasses, some little crabs, a red and white sponge, and clams that I like.

Is there a list anywhere of which of these pieces of equipment are good for which of the animals I like? How do I know what to get for a first tank?

devonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2012, 12:15 AM   #2
shifty51008
Registered Member

enjoy the lengthy read

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031074

75 gal. mixed DT, 100 gal. sump, 50 gal. fuge, dual 250 watt MH's icecap ballasts, XM 20k's, 2 - 110 watt super atanics, 2-tunze 6000's with a 7095 controller, ranco dual temp controller, MR2 skimmer ran with Mak 4 pump, pinpoint pH monitor, marine magic dual dosing pump, pcx 40 return pump, dual MR5 media reactors for carbon and GFO, purelyH20 optima pro RODI unit w/dual BRS Di unit, aquahub ATO

fish/inverts: 2-occ. clowns, 1-banggaii cardinal, 1 tiger tail cuke, 2 RBTA, mix of nass, cerths, and Banded Trochus snails, pair of skunk cleaner shrimp

corals: 1 elegance coral, 1-bubble corals, 1 green toadstool leather, 1 green with pruple tip frogspawn, 1 acans, 1 green cap, 2 Chalice
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2012, 06:52 AM   #3
sponger0
Registered Member

There are alot of variables. Nothing is definitive. What you need to do is research the critters you want to house in your tank, read their requirements and compatibilities and the care involved. Alot of times, whether or not the equipment is needed depends on the tank itself, as each tank is different.

This is the time to research.

sponger0 is offline   Reply With Quote