Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Pacific Sun LED Lighting Systems - USA
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/30/2012, 10:26 AM   #1
PacificSun_eu
Moved On

Mac OS X app for Hyperion lamps

Hello,
We are proud to inform that in the next week we will release Beta version of newest application for Pacific Sun lamps(Hyperion series) - for Mac OS X computers.
This app will allow all Mac users to play with their lamps under OS X. It should be avalaible in Apple store on end of next week - and of course - it will be free...

So, today I can show some screenshots..
Im sure that is very good information before weekend for all USA customers - a specially - that our USA Reseller will have second, also very good information... It will be posted very soon..

Have a nice weekend!

Regards

Przemyslaw Cybulski
Pacific Sun R&D Team

Last edited by PacificSun_eu; 03/30/2012 at 10:31 AM.
PacificSun_eu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2012, 04:59 PM   #2
larryfl1
Registered Member

awesome.... i have my mac in front of me typing this...looking at the tank 5 feet away...

it will be great to have native mac support...

larryfl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2012, 06:26 PM   #3
hirez
Registered Member

Awesome. Will use my sexy mac air... That can always lay around the place.

hirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2012, 07:00 PM   #4
SPotter
Registered Member

yeah!!!!!! the app should be ready just in time for the arrival of my fixture. Will this work on the pandora?

Current Tank Info: 96x36x24 Envision Acylic Tank, 2 x Derkroon Flowwolf Closed Loop, 2 x Dolphin Diamond Amp Master 4750, 3x250w mh cozumel reflectors, ATB 10.5 skimmer, MTC Pro-Cal CaRx
SPotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2012, 11:17 AM   #5
PolyReef
Registered Member

Nice Mac software.Looks like mine RN Led's going to garbage and I will be switching to
PS Led's.BW you have date for iPhone App?

PolyReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 04:08 PM   #6
larryfl1
Registered Member

is the software still on schedule for this week? excited to get the mac going

larryfl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2012, 01:38 AM   #7
PacificSun_eu
Moved On

Unfortunatly - in this weekend - no..
It should be finished(beta) after weekend(Easter Holiday :-) - we have to be sure that everything works ok - and it will not "lock" lamp..
First version will not be fully functional(PAR table will be changed to graph) - but we dont want to delay this release...

Regards - and Happy Easter Holiday!

Przemyslaw Cybulski
Pacific Sun RD Team

Old 04/06/2012, 04:05 AM   #8
hirez
Registered Member

Par table to graph is very smart move! I think its worth to wait the extra week to have this!!
It will be great!

Old 04/08/2012, 08:46 AM   #9
robbous
Registered Member

Nice to see pacific sun created software for the mac

robbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2012, 02:18 PM   #10
hirez
Registered Member

any update?

Old 04/27/2012, 04:46 PM   #11
PacificSun_eu
Moved On

Hello,
Its very late in Poland now - but before weekend we wanted to publish Beta version for tests.
Link for direct download:
http://www.pacific-sun.eu/download/P...eta1.1.app.zip

This Beta is almost fully functional - PAR table and last - Advanced tab - are already on tests.
We decided to publish this app in actual form - because we got many requests from customers which want to use this app on their Mac's - without using PAR table - but with all other features..
So - you are welcome!
Next update - after 6th May!

I want to thank you on that place for Steven - for his help during testing process. Thank you very much!

Regards

Przemyslaw Cybulski
RD Pacific Sun Team

Old 04/27/2012, 04:47 PM   #12
PacificSun_eu
Moved On

Hello,
Its very late in Poland now - but before weekend we wanted to publish Beta version for tests.
Link for direct download:
http://www.pacific-sun.eu/download/P...eta1.1.app.zip

This Beta is almost fully functional - PAR table and last - Advanced tab - are already on tests.
We decided to publish this app in actual form - because we got many requests from customers which want to use this app on their Mac's - without using PAR table - but with all other features..
So - you are welcome!
Next update - after 6th May!

I would like to thank Steven - his comments and suggestions were extremely helpfull. Thank you very much!

Regards

Przemyslaw Cybulski
RD Pacific Sun Team

Last edited by PacificSun_eu; 04/27/2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04/27/2012, 06:54 PM   #13
SPotter
Registered Member

My pleasure!!!! I had fun testing it out!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Current Tank Info: 96x36x24 Envision Acylic Tank, 2 x Derkroon Flowwolf Closed Loop, 2 x Dolphin Diamond Amp Master 4750, 3x250w mh cozumel reflectors, ATB 10.5 skimmer, MTC Pro-Cal CaRx
SPotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2012, 08:58 PM   #14
ieatchinese
Premium Member

Recommendations:

The values that are tied to the slider bars in the app do not change as one moves the slider. They only change when you release the slider button after you have moved it.

There should be a + and - button associated with each slider bar or the ability to input number for each parameter directly from the keyboard (text box).

I just purchased my fixture from Imagine an Ocean (Yorgos) and he was overly helpful. I purchased the Pandora and love it. It meets my requirements for a number of things and I am more than happy.

I am looking forward to the updates that are coming to the application so that I can have the control that I desire on the light. I am very much looking forward to the ability to download PAR scenarios and to try them out and also share the scenarios that work for me.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon 48"x30"x25" Peninsula
ieatchinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2012, 09:30 PM   #15
ieatchinese
Premium Member

There really needs to be a way to read all of the current settings from the lamp. Haven't found this as when I launch the program each time it loads its defaults and doesn't have the values that I set the fixture to.

Old 05/05/2012, 09:16 AM   #16
ieatchinese
Premium Member

I noticed that there are two communications interfaces available (Bluetooth and WiFi). WiFi seems to be disabled (on the Windows version of the software). I have a suggestion that will certainly please me if implemented, but I also believe that if my suggestion is implemented that it will increase your customer satisfaction with the fixture and enhance your sales.

My suggestion is that when you implement the WiFi, make it so that it can be configured to connect to the customer's WiFi access point. This will make it appear as another WiFi computer on the local area network and then the application can search the LAN for the lights and setup communications (give the owner a list of all lights on the local area network). This will allow the owner to link all the lights to a common program (sunrise/sunset) and apply commands to all of the fixtures that they have. The ability to group the lights and to exclude certain lights out of a group should be implemented.

Another manufacturer decided to implement WiFi in an Adhoc network (peer to pear) fashion only and therefore makes it difficult to program multiple lights and one cannot control/monitor the lights outside of the local area network. Not an ideal solution.

Old 05/07/2012, 01:20 AM   #17
PacificSun_eu
Moved On

Hello,
Thanks for some suggestions - they was forwarded to our R&D Team.
About Wifi - its not so easy to implement normal Client/AP mode - because there is a huge risk, that if you will wrong configure your lamp(by setting Client mode - and choosing wronk WPA key - for example) - after disconnect from the lamp - and system reboot - lamp will not be able to connect with your WiFi network - and you will not be able to connect with lamp also..
Please remember, that using both of interfaces(BT and Wifi) in one time is not possible(from technical reason).
AdHoc connection is much safer connecthion method - we understand that it would be great to controll lamp via WiFi by internet from other place(other network - after forwarding some ports or setting DMZ) - but it is not so important for aquarium - than you compare it with "internet port" for any aquarium computer(where you can check pH, saltinity etc).
Of course - we are working on that - and if it will be possible - and customer safe - we will prepare it in next software updates...
In 97% of aquarium users have only one aquarium - and one lighting system - even if it will be one Master and few Slave lamps - they can be controlled by single Master(one Wifi network).

Regards

Przemyslaw Cybulski

Old 05/07/2012, 10:38 AM   #18
ieatchinese
Premium Member

Hello!

Thank you for your response to my suggestions, but.....

I have to disagree with the difficulty in doing the Client/AP connection. Yes, one could put in the wrong IP address etc, but this is nothing that a reset on the fixture wouldn't solve. Doing a peer to peer connection between the light and a computer, ties up that computer and it can only be used for communicating to the light. Additionally, I have a number of internet ready appliances connected to my network and it is the only way to ensure that one has a truly connected and accessible home/setup. My thermostat is internet accessible even though I pretty much set it up once, like you suggest with the light. I have video security and can see my tank when I am away. This also has shown me that there are issues with the pandora light that I have. The T5 timer doesn't seem to work properly. I have the on time set to 16:00 and the Off time set at 19:00. For the last two nights t was not working. If I cannot control the lights over the internet (via port forwarding) I would not be able to shut the lights off if they are working improperly.

Please really consider the way that you implement the WiFi. Adhoc (peer to peer) is certainly not the way to go.

Thanks

Old 05/07/2012, 02:28 PM   #19
PacificSun_eu
Moved On

Of course, I do not want to say that the combination of client / AP certainly will not be introduced - will not be a implemented in the near future.
This would require the modification of the outer casing of the lamp (for example, to install a switch used for changing the lamp mode - AdHoc - the AP / Client.
But - thanks for the comments - surely they will be analyzed by us.

Regards

Przemyslaw Cybulski

Old 05/07/2012, 10:22 PM   #20
ieatchinese
Premium Member

Przemyslaw Cybulski,

Thank you once again for your attention to this. While I am very disappointed I realize that you are the manufacturer and you can do whatever you wish to do. I do not appreciate the scare tactic though. Implementation of Client/AP has no more risk than does the Adhoc implementation and telling someone that it is dangerous is not truthful. Almost all access points, routers and switches have a hard reset button that when pressed for more than xx seconds will cause a hard-reset. This resets the device back to factory defaults and then the factory documented username and passwords work again. This is a simple and proven approach. I have other internet appliances that allow you to log onto them in Adhoc mode and then configure them as a Client/AP configured item. After saving those settings and rebooting, the appliance is now just like any other computer on your WiFi network. If you have not done something right, a hard-reset is then available to start over.

I will not comment any further on this.

Good luck to you and your company.

Old 05/13/2012, 11:13 PM   #21
ieatchinese
Premium Member

Problem with Pandora

This has happened twice to me..... The light stays on and doesn't follow the program.

The two times that it has happened have been tied to me leaving the Windows application running after connecting to the fixture. I set a new time for my T5 lights to come on and verified it and then thought that it would be ok. The rest of the evening went by and the T5's shut off as programmed, but the LED's did not do the sunset thing and just kept burning full blast (until 1 AM) when I unplugged the fixture and plugged it back in.

The only thing that I can trace this to is that I had the Windows application open on the computer and had not closed the application after making the changes mentioned at the beginning. Before I closed the application I verified that it was talking to the fixture still by reading various settings. I then "saved" the settings to the light, but the LED's still shined bright. I finally just unplugged and then plugged the fixture back into the power. This reset the light and the program seems to be running (moon lights on at 1%). This is a serious bug and needs to be fixed!

Old 05/14/2012, 03:43 AM   #22
PacificSun_eu
Moved On

Hello,
Are you talking about application for Mac or Windows?
You have to remember about few important things:
1) sunrise have to be after 00:01 am - and sunset have to be set before 11:59 PM(including sunset time)
If you have 180 minutes sunset/sunrise - sunset time should be set BEFORE 9:00pm - so after 180 sunset it will be still before midnight.
If you will set it after - it will not work properly.
Another case:
if you are changing ANYTHIN in your lamp during sunset/surise program(between 9:00pm and 23:59pm - for above example) - you will not see the results of that changes - until this program will not finish.
If you will reset lamp - on 10:00pm for example(after 1 from 3 hours sunset program) - lamp will automatically go to moonlight mode - the next program after sunset.
Abotu open/close application - it doesnt matter - it can be opened even 7/7 and 24/24. Every signle command confirmed by Save button(or Send) - is automatically written to lamp memory.
Application is not transmitting "live" any settings - even if you will change sunrise time/ power etc - if you will not save it - it will be not applied in lamp memory.
Please remember also - that you cant use in the same time - PC and Xtouch. Due technology limitations(bluetooth technology) there can be only two devices connected in one time. Even if you will close app on Xtouch - it is still"visible" by lamp - and you will not able to change anything by PC application - until lamp will be resetted/Xtouch will be disconnected/turned off.

Regards

Przemyslaw Cybulski

Old 05/14/2012, 06:13 AM   #23
ieatchinese
Premium Member

It is the Windows application that I am using. My sunrise is at 15:00 and my sunset is at 22:00 with 100 minutes transition time. I believe that this meets the requirements that you mention.

I have not used the Mac program for over a week as I did not want to bring in possible bugs associated with a beta program.

I have followed all of the rules and still the lamp did this.

Thank you in advance for your continued assistance with this.

Old 05/14/2012, 09:33 AM   #24
PacificSun_eu
Moved On

Ok, thanks for reply.
Can you give us more detailed informations? How are T5 configured?(which time on/off)?
Your lamps didnt turned off(whole leds - or t5 only?)
This problem have to be sourced by not proper lamp settings - than hardware.
But we need to get more information - please send email with replies and screenshots from lamp settings(apps) to [email protected]
Our customer service will assist you asap.
Thank you.

Regards

Przemyslaw Cybulski

Old 05/29/2012, 07:28 PM   #25
hirez
Registered Member

I know there is a beta version, but perhaps i can avoid some trouble and wait it out for some kind of final version?

Any estimate how long? or should i just go ahead with beta...