Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/05/2012, 12:00 PM   #1
AquamanE
Registered Member

Help with Palau Nepthea

Got this coral from a friend that left the country a few months ago. Has done VERY well until the last few days as this black thing appeared and seems to be shriveling it up. My tank is mostly SPS so dont have much knowledge of these types of corals.

PLEASE HELP

"I'd rather die living than live to die"

Current Tank Info: 200G mixed reef with 60G sump, 250W x 2 MH , MSX200 skimmer, blah blah blah.
AquamanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2012, 12:19 PM   #2
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Location: Katonah, NY/ San Fernando Ca./ Sea Isle City NJ/ Port St. Lucie, Fl./ Troupsburg, NY
not sure of the problem, but I would definitely frag a 'healthy' section, to try to save it!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 450g DT/770g reef system
albano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2012, 07:02 PM   #3
jwoyshnar
Registered Member

If its in an sps tank, my guess is that it is starving from lack of nutrients in the tank

jwoyshnar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2012, 10:54 AM   #4
DRThompson
Registered Member

+1 to fragging....black is probably necrotic tissue, you should cut it off before you lose it.

Current Tank Info: 180gal mixed reef, asm g4xx, LED lights, apex, 65gal sump, 2x mp40's, methanol denitrator
DRThompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2012, 11:47 AM   #5
RadReefer
Registered Member

Similar thing happened to mine, dip it in tank water mixed with iodine for 20 mins and lightly brush that necrotic tissue off. Repeat in a week. Mine lost a decent amount of tissue and has now totally recovered, I wouldn't frag it apart just yet, it should recover after you treat the bacterial infection. I keep mostly all SPS and a few Lps as well, it isn't starving,it has an infection. This is my only soft coral, they look beautiful and many guests really love it.

Current Tank Info: 75gal SPS/LPS reef 30gal sump Bubble king 160 skimmer, MP40es, MP10es, Elos ATO, Innovative Marine Minimax reactor, Tek elite
RadReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2012, 11:52 AM   #6
RadReefer
Registered Member

Looking at that pic again, mine looked just like that, the stalk was pitting with holes, looked terrible. Keep it off the sand bed, after I treated it I raised it off the sand and it seemed to help.

Current Tank Info: 75gal SPS/LPS reef 30gal sump Bubble king 160 skimmer, MP40es, MP10es, Elos ATO, Innovative Marine Minimax reactor, Tek elite
RadReefer is offline   Reply With Quote