Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Digital Aquatics
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04/17/2012, 12:08 PM   #1
108rockhurst
Registered Member

RKE PH calibration

So I'm on my reef 2.0 and I can't figure out how to calibrate the ph probe.
I go to SL1, scroll down to ph then click setup. The only thing that comes up is a drop down box that lets you rename what you call it.

So I go to diagnostics in the upper right corner and it just lets me redo some graphing or set back to factory default.
I've got to say, I am not pleased with the software or the lack of instructions. The forum is not much better.
Maybe it's me but I'm not happy with the setup procedures. It's almost like everything is a big secret.
If I didn't come on here, I wouldn't even know there was software or a web forum for the reefkeeper.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bret

108rockhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Ziggy953
Registered Member

I wanna tag along on this as well. I've had issues calibrating my PH probe as well.

Current Tank Info: 40g Breeder - RKE - LEDs the works...
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2012, 06:27 PM   #3
DamonG
Registered Member

On the Elite,you have to go to in,sl1,Ph, target, enter,calibrate at that value,then next, calibrate at that value,then save..

I have found it better trio just call them or either in three case if my net module,totinker. That ids what one if the techs told ne'er when I Forrest purchased my lite,and it was three best advice he could have given. Short of that,just give them a call. They are awesome for helping I have found,despite what I read prior trio my original purchase from them. Could not be more one on one in my experience with them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

DamonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2012, 01:11 AM   #4
igadget56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damong View Post
on the elite,you have to go to in,sl1,ph, target, enter,calibrate at that value,then next, calibrate at that value,then save..

I have found it better trio just call them or either in three case if my net module,totinker. That ids what one if the techs told ne'er when i forrest purchased my lite,and it was three best advice he could have given. Short of that,just give them a call. They are awesome for helping i have found,despite what i read prior trio my original purchase from them. Could not be more one on one in my experience with them.

Sent from my droid bionic using tapatalk 2
what?

igadget56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2012, 01:29 AM   #5
andywe
Registered Member

I wrote this article several years ago on the DA forums:

PH calibration fluid: One 7.01 and one 10.01. Make sure they are not expired (most have a date stamped on them).

Your PH probe adjusts for temperature, so it is important. especially with the RK that you get the fluid to a known temp. There is a guide printed on most packets for what the PH is at what temp. I.e. 77 degrees is 7.01.

Float your packets (unopened) in your sump for 10-15 minutes to get them to your tank temp. Now you have a basis for calibration. If your tank is above 80 then 7.02 or 7.03 might be your number...refer to the packet.

Get a clean cup and fill it with RODI water. You will use this to rinse your probe between packets. Now open the first packet, of if you can, keep it suspended in the sump (I use a clip on the side for mine)

Depending on your model (RKL or RKE), select the PH input and choose calibrate. It will display either range of either 7 or 10. Input your appropriate number and hit enter. Take your probe, rinse and swish gently in the RODI water, remove and shake gently to remove water, then dip into the packet making sure the tip is fully submerged. Keep it there a few minutes and watch the RAW data swing back and forth on the head unit. (mine swings 8-10 points, this is normal). once it settles down into the relatively same low and high readings, you will hit enter again as close to the middle average as you can. Keep in mind this raw data is NOT ph reading, merely raw data from the probe.

Choose next, Rinse with RODI, and repeat for the 10.0 packet. Save and done. rinse your probe in RODI and put into your tank

andywe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2012, 05:02 AM   #6
Mark I
Registered Member

ph probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywe View Post
I wrote this article several years ago on the DA forums:

PH calibration fluid: One 7.01 and one 10.01. Make sure they are not expired (most have a date stamped on them).

Your PH probe adjusts for temperature, so it is important. especially with the RK that you get the fluid to a known temp. There is a guide printed on most packets for what the PH is at what temp. I.e. 77 degrees is 7.01.

Float your packets (unopened) in your sump for 10-15 minutes to get them to your tank temp. Now you have a basis for calibration. If your tank is above 80 then 7.02 or 7.03 might be your number...refer to the packet.

Get a clean cup and fill it with RODI water. You will use this to rinse your probe between packets. Now open the first packet, of if you can, keep it suspended in the sump (I use a clip on the side for mine)

Depending on your model (RKL or RKE), select the PH input and choose calibrate. It will display either range of either 7 or 10. Input your appropriate number and hit enter. Take your probe, rinse and swish gently in the RODI water, remove and shake gently to remove water, then dip into the packet making sure the tip is fully submerged. Keep it there a few minutes and watch the RAW data swing back and forth on the head unit. (mine swingshttp://www.reefcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/partysmiley.gif 8-10 points, this is normal). once it settles down into the relatively same low and high readings, you will hit enter again as close to the middle average as you can. Keep in mind this raw data is NOT ph reading, merely raw data from the probe.

Choose next, Rinse with RODI, and repeat for the 10.0 packet. Save and done. rinse your probe in RODI and put into your tank
Good instructions here. Just want to mention you do this from the head unit. I don't think you can do this in my reef. Press the In button on the left side of head unit, followed by SL1, then ph. After that follow above instructions.

Mark I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2012, 06:41 AM   #7
andywe
Registered Member

Correct, must be from the head unit. I. Forot i wrote that before myreef existed! Great catch!

Old 05/06/2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Nirol
Premium Member

Excellent! Very helpful. How often should I calibrate, and where do you buy your packets?

Nirol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2012, 12:54 PM   #9
andywe
Registered Member

I calibrate about every 8 weeks, but spot check with an API kit every 4. Probes n general to me are indicators and so I double check them evry so often with another source. I have a lifeguard system coming to do this for me and act as a secondary warning system. Ph probes themselves are good for an average of 12 months. When they start losing claibration in shorter intervals, that is an indication that it's time to replace. I have used the brs probes for 4 years and they have done great for the price.

I get my packets at Bulk Reef Supply. I use the Milliwaukee packets as the shape is perfect for probes and brs pricing is awesome, not to mention their service is outstandng.

Old 05/12/2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Nirol
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywe View Post
I calibrate about every 8 weeks, but spot check with an API kit every 4. Probes n general to me are indicators and so I double check them evry so often with another source. I have a lifeguard system coming to do this for me and act as a secondary warning system. Ph probes themselves are good for an average of 12 months. When they start losing claibration in shorter intervals, that is an indication that it's time to replace. I have used the brs probes for 4 years and they have done great for the price.

I get my packets at Bulk Reef Supply. I use the Milliwaukee packets as the shape is perfect for probes and brs pricing is awesome, not to mention their service is outstandng.
Thanks again very helpful info

Nirol is offline   Reply With Quote