Reef Central Online Community
The Filter Guys

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/23/2012, 02:02 AM   #301
daveonbass
Registered Member

honkit:
the lights run from 2:00 to 9:00 and are not closer then they were when I started, but not much closer...it was a yo-yo situation...I had to lower the light to help them build up their metabolisim, and then I could finally lower the light and utilize it.

Franklypre:
I don't have any stuff to frag yet...All I have is that piece of rainbow, and the birdsnest frags. nothing else is fragged...I have no where to put them.

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
daveonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2012, 02:02 AM   #302
daveonbass
Registered Member

over 300 posts...cool!

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
Old 03/23/2012, 11:02 AM   #303
franklypre
Registered Member

This has been a good thread, RIP. I've got plenty of places if you need, anything you don't want to deal with or want to make smaller. I've redone the 55&40 to allow for very low light coral and more room for higher lighted coral. Probably get another tank within a month or so.

franklypre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2012, 12:13 PM   #304
daveonbass
Registered Member

It's not dead, what's with the RIP?

I don't seem to have any low light corals now, they have all grown accustomed to the high light. I guess I can let them keep growing...though I may bring you a big chunk of GSP this weekend.

I wish I had your income to afford a new tank again. I can't even pay to set up my 110g. :/

Old 03/23/2012, 01:57 PM   #305
franklypre
Registered Member

This is a recovery thread, it's done and it's a good thing. I really do like the new thread and this will be MY last post on this one. You have good growth and good color and a tank that you can be proud of and build on. Income isn't the issue, it's keeping what you get. I have very few payments other than utility and house, I'm married and have two kids so I don't get out much, my tanks are my sanity. I'm really liking your monti garden idea, as far as low light corals I really wish we could get a Apogee, my RP is got some red comming in nicely and is encrusting well. I have plenty of room in the 40 now too, I made a few new frag racks. As well I'll either be getting a pheonix or be changing the lighting on it as the yellow 14k arcadia isn't pleasing me right now. As usual I'll be home all weekend, just give me a call. And again the timeline in the new thread is well played and put together, I really need to do something like that on here, unfortunately mines on a different forum.

Old 04/01/2012, 05:38 AM   #306
daveonbass
Registered Member

Not trying to resurrect this thread. BUT...I ran out of aquavitro fuel about a month ago and have just been dosing papponé from franklypre, and over the course of the month the colors have dulled. More white tips that never gain color, and just an over all lack of POP and pizzazz. Nothing is dying...but its just not impressing me like it did when it made a come back.

So after having just got some more fuel, and soon to stock up on it...I'm going to see if the tank improves with JUST this as the only difference in the tank. Again, running out of that is all that I didn't have that I did use to get the tank back to its full glory.

I'll keep everyone posted and let you k ow if this stuff is not just snake oil.

Old 05/07/2012, 01:27 AM   #307
daveonbass
Registered Member

quick update:

I have stopped the Pappone' for good now, it only pollutes the tank which adds N and P (as a small food source) to the tank. And for the last month have only used Aqua Vitro Fuel. I also got a Dispar Anthia, but I see that as being a minimal impact (though I'm sure the tiny bit of extra fish poop is good). The Fuel alone has had great results. I do not feed any differently, nor have I done a singe WC or Dosed any suppliments in a month, and the tank looks great and the growth is perfect for my tastes. (not too fast and not too slow) I have been busy this month and so I have not had hardly any time to spend working on and in the tank. But for me, 2Tbsp every 2-3 days has shown better results than any other feeding. (again the fish poop can't be hurting much either)

So if I get free time I'll try to take a pic But I'm away a lot traveling with my band. so for now I just wanted to share how the on going experiment is shaping up in my little piece of the reef.

Old 05/31/2012, 06:25 AM   #308
daveonbass
Registered Member

Due to a hardware malfunction, my tank had a sevre crash, and is no longer what it used to be. All the new growth, which had become substancial, and all the different colors are now just bleach white skeletons of their once proud glory. I am not sure if I will give the fish away and take the whole tank down, or if I will keep it running. MACNA is only a few months away and if I start saving now I think I can use it as a spring board to repopulate the entire tank. If I keep it then sadly it will never be the same as this First attempt at a SPS dominated tank. But this time I think I will only get corals that are really "choice" pieces in my eyes. Named or not, I really don't want to do it all over again if the corlas will just be solid green...for example. So I hope to be back here in a few months to maybe even next year with a huge change in the systems looks. Till then I just want to thank everyone for all the help I got from the forum and for helping me ge the tank to the beautiful state that it was in before the crash and 90% loss of life.

I hope to be back soon.

Old 05/31/2012, 06:58 AM   #309
mos90
Registered Member

bummer man.. do u mind telling us what happened?

mos90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2012, 07:39 AM   #310
CUNAReefer
Registered Member

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. This thread has been a big help to me. I also had issues with pale colors and slow growth. I hope you do stay in the hobby and come back bigger and better.

James

Current Tank Info: 100g GLA Rimless ZEOVit driven tank
CUNAReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2012, 09:52 AM   #311
franklypre
Registered Member

Sorry to hear it, seriously.

Old 06/03/2012, 06:43 PM   #312
daveonbass
Registered Member

Mos90: its unclear exactly what caused everything the way it did. My chiller got locked for some reason at 57 degrees (why do they even go that low!?) And so the whole tank was in a cold shock and I thought the fish were dead. I started bringing the temp up and around 65 degrees the fish all started to recover. Though my bangaiis were in bad shape and I ended up finally losing one the other day. I did a 10g water change cause that's all I had at the time. And then as the water temp kept rising the tank got super cloudy. It turns out that something to do with the temp had caused a massive bacterial bloom. (btw, first thing I did when I saw the temp was take my bio pellets off line and they havent been back on since so the bacteria bloom is weird).

The corals looked rather fine with only like 10% losses after the temp drop, so I thought it would be fine once the temp came back up. But the bacteria bloom made things worse for the corals...and then when one died it created a domino effect till I lost about 80% of my sps. LPS, and softies seem like they will be fine still, no real losses with those. And now I'm one bangaii short. And the second bangaii looks bad from a massive bristle work attack while he was frozen. The anthia and kole tank seem alright now though. I think I'm going to wait for more stability and do more wc's then start tearing off skeletons and get new frags for the tank. Not a complete start over...more like hitting ctrl-alt-delete. :/

Old 06/04/2012, 08:14 AM   #313
mos90
Registered Member

wow. thats stange for the chiller to do that, must have been a temp sensor failure. that is the exact reason i use an apex. just in case.

at least u were able to save some livestock.

is the tank still up and running?

mos90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2012, 10:04 PM   #314
daveonbass
Registered Member

Eh, its running, but with so many skeletal remains its not fun to look at anymore. :/

Old 06/06/2012, 07:57 PM   #315
REEF SMAC
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your losses. Got to be devistating.

Definately need to get yourself a back up sensor or alarm of some kind to keep that from happening again.

Don't give up. This will just make your future tanks even better.

REEF SMAC is offline   Reply With Quote