Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/08/2012, 04:15 PM   #1
uclajay
Registered Member

Rimless Reef Tank Options

I'm looking for a rectangular (not a cube) rimless reef tank, somewhere around 30gals w/ an overflow, pre-drilled for a sump (or acrylic so I can drill it myself). I know glass can be drilled, but I'm not too comfortable doing that. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a tank like this, or am I stuck ordering a custom tank?

uclajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2012, 03:14 PM   #2
arc eye
Registered Member

Picoaquariums may be able to do something custom for you. I wanted to do the same thing awhile back so I bought an ADA and an overflow kit, but sold it before I got around to drilling it.

Current Tank Info: DSA 80g SPS Dominant Reef
arc eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2012, 12:57 AM   #3
napsterMS
Registered Member

Have you tried asking one of your lfs if they know of anyone?

napsterMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2012, 01:40 AM   #4
neuro
the cat did it

i've been doing some research on the same request you have. 30 gallon rimless. unless you are going to get a custom acrylic, you will have to do the drilling yourself. i do not know of any manufacturer that does this.

the custom acrylics for 30 gallons will have to be at least 3/4" thick and run you at least ~$300 give or take. it won't be cheap. however they can usually put the holes. in as part of the package.

truvu mass produces their tanks, and they can put the holes in for you in their 30 gallons for about $8 a hole. they run cheaper but they will not be 3/4" thick. the build quality is a little low, but i think you'll be just fine. oh, and they won't be rimless. that's how they can get away with thinner acrylic they use

Old 05/14/2012, 08:27 AM   #5
uclajay
Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions... My LFS doesn't have much to choose from, and they're more expensive than most mnfgs i've seen online. I'm looking for a little bigger than picoaquariums. I've scoured RC and ran into several different mnfgs that I never heard of, but it looks like most people use glass for their rimless tanks...

Old 05/14/2012, 10:17 AM   #6
neuro
the cat did it

Your other option is to simply wait for someone who is selling their rimless setup. I have seen only a handful since the beginning of the year (nano-reef.com, and craigslist)

Old 05/14/2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Waddleboy
Registered Member

or you could make it yourself? Either out of glass or acrylic

Waddleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2012, 11:38 AM   #8
uclajay
Registered Member

yea, i jus installed new hardwood floors in my house.. I'm not about to risk it all on a homemade 40gal tank.

Old 05/14/2012, 11:41 AM   #9
Rogger Castells
Registered Member

check reefsavvy tanks, best tank finish i've ever seen, real quality product.

Rogger Castells is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
long short tank, reef, rimless tank