Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/08/2012, 02:58 PM   #1
suntzu0142
Registered Member

t5ho ballst help

i think one of my crappy t5 ballast are going out ... the lights come on e for a few seconds then shut off ... leave it of for a little while then turn it back on work for a couple mins then shuts off again ...

does anyone out there have a cheapo t5 54 watt 2 bulb ballast theyd let go of for a reasonable price... i only have 4 t5 bulbs ... so me loosing two wouldnt be a good thing ...

also if anyone knows someplace thats carries a relatively cheap one ie lowes, homedepot whatever let me know thanks

suntzu0142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2012, 06:12 PM   #2
szwab
RC Mod

How old are your bulbs? Some ballasts have an auto shut off when a bulb(s) reach the end of their life.

Current Tank Info: AGE 240 Flatback Hex
szwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2012, 07:01 PM   #3
suntzu0142
Registered Member

bulbs

the bulbs are all about 1 month old they are ati's and bought at the same time
when switched out to the two working spots, no problems with them

the ballast inside the fixture there are two of them both crappy sunpaq

the bulbs i dont think are the problem

i think it might have a short that i havent been able to track down the bulbs some times turn on for minutes sometimes seconds and when on of the plugs is plugged into my gfi outlet near the sink it trips it

just hard to track down the spot with so much limited time to actually work on them to track it down .... since i dont want to LEAVE off my only source of light for extended period of time other than the late evenings

Old 05/11/2012, 06:08 AM   #4
kmacartney
Registered Member

That has happened to me when I have end cap problems.

To see my tank, click the...Oh wait! Where did it go?

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon display, 20 gallon sump/refugium, 6X54W T5, ASM G2, Mag 9.5 return, 2X Gulf Stream II Maxi-Jet Mods
kmacartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2012, 08:12 AM   #5
ssgtgonzo
Entacmaea Enthusiast

I have some workhorses...$10 each. Let me know if you are interested.

ssgtgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2012, 07:29 AM   #6
suntzu0142
Registered Member

endcap

ive narrowed the problem down to some rust/corrosion behind one of the encaps (between it and the spacer that was causing a short in the wiring )
removed the piece of metal cleaned the endcap and replaced the little flex spacer with another diy fabricated on seems to be working great now at least so far may buy those ballast off you anyways gonzo would like to have zix bulbs but need to see if phishy has anymore reflectors