Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2013, 10:50 PM   #151
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
That fish room looks way too organized Adam!!!! I am going to have to hop on the subway and come over for a visit very soon!!!!
Thanks. I want to tidy up the wires a little more. I never focused on that before but I find that it makes things easier that's also why I labeled things. Steve you are welcomed in my house any time just let me know when.

Unread 02/17/2013, 02:18 PM   #152
Adamc1303
Registered Member

What's the heating method of choice on larger tank? I have 2 300 watt eheim jagr heaters controlled by the apex but my temp still had large swings. Should I just add a 3rd heater maybe 600 watts is not enough. I was lioking at the jbj true temp titanium heating system. I want the 1000 watt but after some quick research here on RC it seems that they fail often. My heaters arw right near each other. Could it be that they are getting a temo reading off each other and the internal thermostats are shutting them down? Or again is 600 watts just not enough. They are in the basement which is cooler then the rest of the house.

Unread 02/17/2013, 07:21 PM   #153
SPotter
Registered Member

Im using a 1000w titanium heater on my system. I bought it used and its been running for a year now. I have a spare 500w on the shelf incase the 1000w fails.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2013, 08:55 PM   #154
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Who makes the heater?

Unread 02/17/2013, 09:09 PM   #155
SPotter
Registered Member

its a pro heat II 1000w heater with controller...but I just googled it and looks like its no longer available. how are you controlling the temp setting with them? are you using the apex for it?

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 02/17/2013, 09:52 PM   #156
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Yeah Apex. The thing is they have built in thermostats too. They are both on top of each other between baffles in the sump. Do you think it's possible they are getting readings from each other and shutting down internally even though the apex has them on?

Unread 02/17/2013, 11:34 PM   #157
Adamc1303
Registered Member

I'm thinking of a Ranco controller wi 2 500 watt coralvue titanium heaters. What do you think? I can always use the other 2 heaters for water changes and to keep the top off reservoir heated since the basement is cold!

Unread 02/18/2013, 02:20 AM   #158
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Quote:
its a pro heat II 1000w heater with controller...but I just googled it and looks like its no longer available. how are you controlling the temp setting with them? are you using the apex for it?
I figured out the issue. Only one heater works! I got them a month ago. I wonder if premium aquatics will ate it back or if I have to send it to Eheim. Either way I'm going to get a Ranco with two metal heaters and keep these as spares..

Unread 02/18/2013, 07:01 AM   #159
SPotter
Registered Member

Yeah I don't like the glass heaters they seem to fail pretty easily. All of my other heaters that I use for my mixing tank, rock bins and frag tank are finnex titanium heaters. I've never had a problem with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Unread 02/27/2013, 11:32 PM   #160
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Some of the toys and live stock that came in today!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-02-27 23.03.44.jpg (31.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-27 20.01.43.jpg (52.5 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-27 20.00.49.jpg (41.1 KB, 183 views)
Unread 02/28/2013, 07:52 AM   #161
SPotter
Registered Member

Whats in the bags??????????????????????

Unread 03/01/2013, 12:57 AM   #162
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Quote:
Whats in the bags??????????????????????
So I stopped at this like sort of pet shop and the guy had these really colorful things. They were blue and green, orange some red oh and purple. Some of them are soft and a few are hard. He said they are called corals or something like that. Since they looked cool I figured I would buy a few... I'll post SLR pics tomorrow! They are all doing really well!

Unread 03/01/2013, 01:12 AM   #163
Adamc1303
Registered Member

I hooked up the Genesis tonight. It took about 15 minutes. I had water prepared already so I let her rip. This thing is awesome! Anyone that's thinking of getting one definitely should. It really works flawlessly. I did a 30 gallon water change and watched it the entire time. I also want to get the auto top off they make now. If you use the one they make it connects to the renew system which will disable top off during water changes. I am sure I can manipulate my osmolator (which I have always used and really like) with the APEX to do the same but I am so impressed with this company right now and the quality of the product that I gotta try the Storm auto top off.

What I would like to have it do is perform a 3 gallon per day water change for 30 days which would give me 25% monthly. I have seen allot of tanks that used liter meters and other systems where they were always changing a little water every day and the tanks looked very good. I guess besides not stressing the animals with typical one shot water changes (not that I think it's major stress is performed and prepared the right way) it will also replenish trace elements in the water. I think this may be a crucial part of my filtration. I may go on for 2 weeks and off for 2 weeks too. I'll experiment and see what produces the best results.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-01 00.38.06.jpg (45.5 KB, 128 views)
Unread 03/01/2013, 08:49 AM   #164
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Looks pretty cool Adam. I have heard good things about Genesis also. I wish I had that luxury.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2013, 10:10 PM   #165
Adamc1303
Registered Member

I actually got a bunch of more stuff since I took these last week and I am due to receive a few more packages on Tuesday. After that I will have to control my self and stop buying stuff for a little while! I spend allot of money come home with a bunch of bags and the tank still looks empty! It doesn't even put a dent in it. I guess this is how it goes you keep buying and then one say you wake up and things are growing out and it's jam packed in there maybe time for an upgrade! Here are some pictures as promised i'll post more in a few days. I am also having an issue with micro bubbles I can't figure out how to resolve this. If anyone has any out of the box reasons for micro bubbles please chime in I will greatly appreciate it.

Adam

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7088.jpg (66.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7085.jpg (44.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7101.jpg (59.3 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7102.jpg (69.5 KB, 150 views)
Unread 03/06/2013, 10:13 PM   #166
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Here's an update. Sorry for the cell phone pics...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-06 14.45.40.jpg (75.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-06 16.24.57.jpg (67.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-06 16.25.05.jpg (62.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-06 16.25.12.jpg (74.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-06 16.25.30.jpg (74.1 KB, 81 views)
Unread 03/07/2013, 11:38 AM   #167
Newbie Aquarist

Everything is looking good Adam.

Sent from my iPhone using Siri and Tapatalk.

Unread 03/07/2013, 01:05 PM   #168
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Thanks Wayne / Leroy lol! I can't wait to see your peninsula build now! I love peninsulas. My tank is actually a peninsula even though i'm not using it that way. Maybe one day in another house.

Unread 03/07/2013, 07:47 PM   #169
Newbie Aquarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamc1303 View Post
Thanks Wayne / Leroy lol! I can't wait to see your peninsula build now! I love peninsulas. My tank is actually a peninsula even though i'm not using it that way. Maybe one day in another house.
It'll be a first for me also. Really gotta talk to Dan and have a side bar about Leroy. lololol

Sent from my iPhone using Siri and Tapatalk.

Unread 03/07/2013, 11:16 PM   #170
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Adam,

Tank is looking awesome! I have a couple of questions and a big "Thank you!"

First with the Genesis... Does it drain and replace your freshly made SW at the same time or drain first then add? I have considered purchasing one to perform 7-10 gallon water changes each day. Perhaps doing 1.25 gallons every 4 hours or something of the sorts. I don't think with my tank I would need to worry too much about my ATO with those small of changes.

Most importantly, Thank You, for keeping our friend Leroy on his toes. He wears an eating! If the name is good enough for his mother, it is certainly good enough for us. Even if she calls him by another name. Leroy is his given name. That or Reefing is my middle name.

Unread 03/07/2013, 11:51 PM   #171
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
Adam,

If the name is good enough for his mother, it is certainly good enough for us. Leroy is his given name.
Ha! I agree. Wayne who? It's Leroy moving forward.

Dan I really like the Genesis it's well built, thought out and works flawlessly. The metering buckets have 3 lines connected to each. It has a fill tube from the pump, a drain tube (larger diameter) back to where it gets filled from and then the regular drain tube which will go to either sump or waste. It fills both metering buckets at the same time during fill mode. Then it has meter mode where one tube drains back to where the water was pumped from. I guess it has a switch or sensor in the buckets which cause it to do this. That ensures it's exactly 1 gallon not more or less. Then you hear a solenoid click. It sounds like one solenoid clicking but it's actually 2. They are synced so well that they sound like one. When that happens it goes into drain mode. Both buckets drain at the same time.

They can both fill at different rates because of head pressure on the pumps filling them. Meaning my waste water comes from my sump which is 3 feet from the waste metering bucket but my new water come from a garbage can which is 7 feet away from the new water metering bucket, so my waste fills quicker. However the system won't move to the next stage until metering is done on both buckets. Same thing with draining. They may have different distances to drain but it will not do another change until both buckets are fully drained.

I got the renew pro model. I regret not getting the storm auto top off as well. I'm going to eventually have to order it. The Storm gets automatically disabled when the renew is working. I set my Apex to turn off the Tunze Osmolator that I use when the Genesis Renew is on. However this isn't the same because even though the Genesis remembers the settings when turned back on (It knows how many gallons are left for the water change) a button still has to be manually pressed to resume. It's a safety feature. This makes a big difference because now lazy me with an automatic water changing system has to actually press a button! Joking aside it's important because if you want to utilize the system to perform small daily water changes you need to be able to set it and forget it especially when you go away and you can't do that if you manually need to press the button every day because you have it on a system that cuts power to it daily.

I would definitely recommend this product. You will love it if you get it. Every time I show someone my fish room I end up doing a quick 1 gallon water change to show off the system. It's very well built and thought out and has allot of safety features that you just can't replicate using dosing pumps or Apex units with break out boxes. It was designed to do something and it does it well.

HTH

Dan thanks for following my build. You're tank inspired me to go big and I love the v ideos you put out. We need to chat about Ozone one day because I know you use it and I am thinking about adding it. Leroy, I like those Anthias I think me may order me some.

Unread 03/08/2013, 10:41 AM   #172
Newbie Aquarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamc1303 View Post
Ha! I agree. Wayne who? It's Leroy moving forward.

Dan I really like the Genesis it's well built, thought out and works flawlessly. The metering buckets have 3 lines connected to each. It has a fill tube from the pump, a drain tube (larger diameter) back to where it gets filled from and then the regular drain tube which will go to either sump or waste. It fills both metering buckets at the same time during fill mode. Then it has meter mode where one tube drains back to where the water was pumped from. I guess it has a switch or sensor in the buckets which cause it to do this. That ensures it's exactly 1 gallon not more or less. Then you hear a solenoid click. It sounds like one solenoid clicking but it's actually 2. They are synced so well that they sound like one. When that happens it goes into drain mode. Both buckets drain at the same time.

They can both fill at different rates because of head pressure on the pumps filling them. Meaning my waste water comes from my sump which is 3 feet from the waste metering bucket but my new water come from a garbage can which is 7 feet away from the new water metering bucket, so my waste fills quicker. However the system won't move to the next stage until metering is done on both buckets. Same thing with draining. They may have different distances to drain but it will not do another change until both buckets are fully drained.

I got the renew pro model. I regret not getting the storm auto top off as well. I'm going to eventually have to order it. The Storm gets automatically disabled when the renew is working. I set my Apex to turn off the Tunze Osmolator that I use when the Genesis Renew is on. However this isn't the same because even though the Genesis remembers the settings when turned back on (It knows how many gallons are left for the water change) a button still has to be manually pressed to resume. It's a safety feature. This makes a big difference because now lazy me with an automatic water changing system has to actually press a button! Joking aside it's important because if you want to utilize the system to perform small daily water changes you need to be able to set it and forget it especially when you go away and you can't do that if you manually need to press the button every day because you have it on a system that cuts power to it daily.

I would definitely recommend this product. You will love it if you get it. Every time I show someone my fish room I end up doing a quick 1 gallon water change to show off the system. It's very well built and thought out and has allot of safety features that you just can't replicate using dosing pumps or Apex units with break out boxes. It was designed to do something and it does it well.

HTH

Dan thanks for following my build. You're tank inspired me to go big and I love the v ideos you put out. We need to chat about Ozone one day because I know you use it and I am thinking about adding it. Leroy, I like those Anthias I think me may order me some.
That would be a smooth system if I could fit it under my stand to do the same thing. I envy you. And yes those anthias are thing of beauty. I am two species away from being complete. And you gentlemen have earned the right to call me Leroy. I should change the thread name to "Leroy's 600 Gallon Build Courtesy of Dan and Adam".

Unread 03/08/2013, 10:56 AM   #173
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
That would be a smooth system if I could fit it under my stand to do the same thing. I envy you. And yes those anthias are thing of beauty. I am two species away from being complete. And you gentlemen have earned the right to call me Leroy. I should change the thread name to "Leroy's 600 Gallon Build Courtesy of Dan and Adam".
I guess I left his part out. It will not work in a stand because it drains via gravity so the metering buckets must be mounted higher then the sump and waste drain.

Unread 03/10/2013, 11:40 PM   #174
Adamc1303
Registered Member

I started using my calcium reactor and my PH dropped dramatically. I got down to 7.7 one night so immediately took it off line (good thing APEX e-mailed me). I really didn't want to have to use Kalk because I find that it really taxes all of the equipment with build up but I have no choice. Here is a picture of the "octopus family of products". I really like the way octopus builds everything. I have had so many different brands of skimmers and reactor in the past. Most of it pretty expansive and high end. I think Super Reef Octopus competes at the same level without breaking the bank. However I am not so impressed with the Kalk stirrer. I used a GEO in the past and figured I would try one with a stir rod this time, the issue is that this one is designed to run only 15 min every two hours. The life of the motor is only 1,500 hours. It didn't say that anywhere besides the manual which you read once you already purchased the thing! I wouldn't have gotten it if I knew you can't run it continuously. I'll see if it keeps up as it looks pretty small for my size tank. If it doesn't MRC has a really nice kalk reactor I would upgrade to, if i'm already going back to the pump style reactors anyway.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-09 22.51.41.jpg (64.9 KB, 82 views)
Unread 03/22/2013, 01:49 PM   #175
Adamc1303
Registered Member

It's been over a week since I updated this thread so here goes. I have been adding allot of live stock lately, almost daily. I just can't get enough! I have to cool it for now though and let things grow out. Although my sand bed is empty so maybe i'll go on an LPS run. I still haven't found anyone to build my hood and skin the stand. Once that's done I want to add Reef Brite LED's to add more atinic lighting to the tank. I have 36" fixtures so I will probably mount 2 36" tubes to each fixture to give it a real pop. let me know your thoughts so far.

Thanks,

Adam

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-22 15.33.02.jpg (44.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-22 15.32.42.jpg (49.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-22 15.32.30.jpg (44.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-22 15.33.13.jpg (50.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-22 15.33.19.jpg (44.6 KB, 76 views)