Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 03/03/2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Bolo Tran
Registered Member

This Kills AEFW eggs!!!!

Has anyone tried this new product out? It's called All Out Reef Pest Solution
http://www.reefpestsolutions.com/#!rps-all-out/ctb5

It claims to kill eggs! You heard it. EGGS! Is this the answer to our prayers for those of us who have Aefw? Battling these little monsters have always been a challenge because there have been no products available that kill eggs but this product claims to be able to do it!

Someone PLEASE try this out and report back

Old 03/03/2013, 01:11 PM   #2
dentdominator
Registered Member

Looks like pretty good stuff if they claim it kills eggs. But, wouldn't it be nice if someday someone comes out with something similar to do whole tank treatments with. "That would be the golden ticket"

Old 03/03/2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Bolo Tran
Registered Member

I'm surprised there hasn't been much hype or excitement over this groundbreaking new product (if it does what it claims). I wish it came out when I was battling these boogers

Old 03/03/2013, 07:32 PM   #4
TimothyJ
Registered Member

If this works as claimed, it would be a huge break through in the hobby. I'll be interested to see if anyone has had success with it.

Old 03/03/2013, 11:42 PM   #5
xxxduke62xxx
Registered Member

Hmmmm hopefully its not a product like ZEO flatstop. It has the same ingriedient as melafix. Going to research and see if i can just make a batch of this stuff up using products i already have We shall soon find out

Old 03/03/2013, 11:44 PM   #6
xxxduke62xxx
Registered Member

Also curious as to why you have to QT. If it kills everything why cant you put the corals back into the main?

Old 03/04/2013, 12:53 AM   #7
karsseboom
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxduke62xxx View Post
Hmmmm hopefully its not a product like ZEO flatstop. It has the same ingriedient as melafix. Going to research and see if i can just make a batch of this stuff up using products i already have We shall soon find out
Zeo flatworm stop was never intended to kill flatworms. It is used to help the coral fight off the pest. This is entirly different thing as its for dipping purposes.

I'm very curious to see how others like this product before I go out and buy it.

Old 03/04/2013, 09:08 AM   #8
ridetheducati
20 and Over Club

I will stick with fresh cuts and Bayer.

Current Tank Info: 300g DD, SPS dominated, Apex, Tunze 6125s, ATB 1050, 400w MH, and Geo 618 Ca Reactor
Old 03/04/2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Allmost
Moved On

well from the pics and the site .... I doubt it ... reminds me of the tri color acro of Santa Monica

"RPS ALL OUT is your complete dip solution for eradicating unwanted pests such as Acropora Red Bugs, Red Planeria Flatworms, Acro Eating Flatworms, Montipora Eating Nudibranches, Zoanthid Eating Nudibranches, Zoanthid Eating Spiders, Asterina Starfish, Rapid Tissue Necrosis (RTN) and Slow Tissue Necrosis (STN), Bristle Worms, Algae, EGGS, Inverts"

unwanted pests such as RTN and STN ? never knew RTN was some creature !

hard to believe it will go through the shell of the egg, but not hurt the tissue of acros.

Old 03/04/2013, 09:15 AM   #10
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxduke62xxx View Post
I bet you never tried the flatworm stop by Zeovit

Old 03/04/2013, 09:42 AM   #11
oscar.millan
Registered Member

I'm skeptical, but optimistic. I'd like to see more evidence supporting their claims. I'm not one to believe blindly simply because the label says "kills eggs."

Although I must say, I'm nearly convinced by the name itself. "All out dip."

-Tesla

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef, 90g rimless cube.
Old 03/04/2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Piper27
I love bengals

Yea there are not to specific to what kind of eggs it kills... It kills all of thoes pests eggs or what?

Either way, I am glad that there are people trying to figure this out because having something like that product working correctly would be a huge blessing to the hobby!

Old 03/04/2013, 06:13 PM   #13
eww
Registered Member

We have used this product exclusively in the last several months with great results. We have succeeded is killing AEFW in one dip with no return of the pests after the incubation period of the eggs pass. We have also killed off various nudis, red bugs and their eggs. IMO this product works as advertised and is worth its weight in gold... or dead pests, whichever is more valuable to you.

Old 03/04/2013, 06:44 PM   #14
peppie
Registered Member

I personally know the guy behind this produce.
He has several LFS that use and sell this product.
I have used this product with great success.
It will soon be a world wide product.
He did his homework and checked it with a number of chemists, they gave him the thumbs up!!

Old 03/04/2013, 07:28 PM   #15
Bolo Tran
Registered Member

I think this dip is indispensable for newly arrived corals. If it works like it claims in killing eggs, then the process of quarantining new corals is a thing of the past. One of the main reasons to quarantine is to kill the pest but if you get the aefw AND the eggs then what is the need to quarantine. Am I right in this one?

Old 03/04/2013, 07:44 PM   #16
peppie
Registered Member

I would still run a QT tank.
Dip on Monday QT until Wednesday, dip again, and QT until Friday.
It will cut way down on QT time..
I am in favor of redundancy, in any situation.

Old 03/04/2013, 07:44 PM   #17
dbm reef
Registered Member

I am going to be trying this product and have high hopes
I to have talked with the developer and they have put alot of time into this product.

Old 03/04/2013, 08:33 PM   #18
Reef Bass
colors and textures

It's probably just a little hammer with some bleach solution follow up.

Yes, someone please try it and report back. I am highly skeptical that it kills eggs at all and that as Allmost already called out, it does so while not harming acros.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ T5s
Old 03/04/2013, 09:10 PM   #19
dread240
Registered Member

Thankfully I haven't had this battle yet, but I'll let other people test it first and maybe resort to it if the need ever arrises

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon mixed reef tank
Old 03/05/2013, 08:11 AM   #20
Allmost
Moved On

well seems like generic "I have tried it and it works" from some users.

lets see some pictures of a bucket, with an SPS colony, with dead AEFWs and their Eggs ...

or does it make eggs infertile ?

Old 03/05/2013, 06:05 PM   #21
uniquecorals
Registered Member

We received a sample from RPS and will definitely give it a fair trial at Unique Corals. We handle more coral in a day than the typical home hobbyist sees in a year, so the likelihood of us having pest troubles is obviously magnitudes greater! If it works as advertised, this could be a great advantage for hobbyists and commercial operations like ours, as well!

We will give it a fair, honest test and report the results. We have every reason to believe that the product has been throughly tested prior to release, and we'd be thrilled if the product will do what the manufacturer says it will do. I have spoken with Matt Reed, the owner of Reef Pest Solutions, and find him to be a person of very high integrity and sophistication. He's not in the "snake oil" business, and from what he has told me of the product, it has apparently undergone some fairly rigorous scientific testing.

That being said, like ANY new product, we should certainly evaluate it based on our OWN experiences, not on my words, the guy down the street's words, or any assumptions, anecdotal evidence, etc. I think that all products should be evaluated and reported on by the people that have used the product, and not "reviewed" by people who have yet to try the product. It's not right to jump to a conclusion - good-or-bad- without having personal experience with the product.

I strongly urge fellow reefers to read my friend and fellow MACNA speaker Rich Ross' series on skeptical reef keeping, as it gives a great overview of attitudes and realities we should embrace as reefkeepers with regards to manufacturer's claims and our own communications/attitudes. I also wrote a piece a couple of years back on Reef Builders, called "The Danger of Regurgitation", which basically says to evaluate something for yourself before embracing or attacking something publicly, which might be worth a look.

A product like this could be a great benefit to the hobby and industry if it performs as promised; I for one, am willing to give it a fair evaluation before I jump to any conclusion, positive or negative. I believe that we can all benefit from this type of attitude.

Just my two cents.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Old 03/05/2013, 08:23 PM   #22
REEF SMAC
Registered Member

Sounds way too good to be true....

Hopefully this turns out to be the real deal.

Old 03/05/2013, 09:16 PM   #23
Bolo Tran
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquecorals View Post
We received a sample from RPS and will definitely give it a fair trial at Unique Corals. We handle more coral in a day than the typical home hobbyist sees in a year, so the likelihood of us having pest troubles is obviously magnitudes greater! If it works as advertised, this could be a great advantage for hobbyists and commercial operations like ours, as well!

We will give it a fair, honest test and report the results. We have every reason to believe that the product has been throughly tested prior to release, and we'd be thrilled if the product will do what the manufacturer says it will do. I have spoken with Matt Reed, the owner of Reef Pest Solutions, and find him to be a person of very high integrity and sophistication. He's not in the "snake oil" business, and from what he has told me of the product, it has apparently undergone some fairly rigorous scientific testing.

That being said, like ANY new product, we should certainly evaluate it based on our OWN experiences, not on my words, the guy down the street's words, or any assumptions, anecdotal evidence, etc. I think that all products should be evaluated and reported on by the people that have used the product, and not "reviewed" by people who have yet to try the product. It's not right to jump to a conclusion - good-or-bad- without having personal experience with the product.

I strongly urge fellow reefers to read my friend and fellow MACNA speaker Rich Ross' series on skeptical reef keeping, as it gives a great overview of attitudes and realities we should embrace as reefkeepers with regards to manufacturer's claims and our own communications/attitudes. I also wrote a piece a couple of years back on Reef Builders, called "The Danger of Regurgitation", which basically says to evaluate something for yourself before embracing or attacking something publicly, which might be worth a look.

A product like this could be a great benefit to the hobby and industry if it performs as promised; I for one, am willing to give it a fair evaluation before I jump to any conclusion, positive or negative. I believe that we can all benefit from this type of attitude.

Just my two cents.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals
Very well said Scott. I was very optimistic for myself as well as for other fellow reefers out there to hear about a groundbreaking product like this as I've battled with these things not only in one but 2 tanks. I know I should quarantine. I think this really helps with newly acquired corals and if there are eggs on the frags then this will kill it so quarantine time would also be lessened or even obsolete. Logically speaking, if dipping kills both the aefw AND the eggs then what is the reason for quarantining? Am I on the right track with this?

As with any new product that hits the market there will always be skeptics and naysayers who will say negative things that could potentially hurt the developer without giving it a fair chance. These products are meant to help us and make our lives easier and the hobby more enjoyable. I for one am very optimistic as I don't think they would make such claims if it can't deliver. Hopefully I won't have to eat my words.

Old 03/06/2013, 08:29 AM   #24
Allmost
Moved On

Scott, please let us know how it went.

if you can take pics of the process, where the eggs fall off, we would all appreciate it.

Old 03/06/2013, 04:58 PM   #25
xxxduke62xxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmost View Post
I bet you never tried the flatworm stop by Zeovit
Yes i did use this product and it was supposed to rid AEFW as per the first label on original bottle stated. Then a couple weeks later they changed the label to help aid corals. It aided my acros but didnt kill them. Dipping and basting did that. So like i said i hope this isnt like Zeo Flatstop and in 4 months change the label because they made there fast buck.

Closed Thread