Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2013, 08:36 AM   #1
djberg
Registered Member

pretty ghetto but, diy algae scrubber.

Untitled by dj.berg, on Flickr

been reading about these for a bit and went on a whim and built one, just using the sump feeds. i had the pvc already, bought a tee, an end cap and a 90. and the screen stuff(knitting/yarn stuff) from the craft store for $.63 including tax. one pass on the table saw, and some hot glue, there it is. it's a trial run and if i like what it does i'll build a permanent mount for it.

djberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Capt_Cully
Registered Member

If it works, you can't beat the price! I love it.

Current Tank Info: 120, Radion Gen 2 Pro x 2
Capt_Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2013, 10:46 AM   #3
djberg
Registered Member

yeah i love the cheap and the diy, or maybe im diy because im cheap... we will see how it goes, as for right now in the first section of my sump there's a skimmer, the scrubber, and a bit of cheato. the rest of the areas should have pristine water lol!

Unread 12/08/2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Capt_Cully
Registered Member

Do scrubbers stink like low tide? Always been a concern when considering one. Especially with an under tank sump system.

Current Tank Info: 120, Radion Gen 2 Pro x 2
Capt_Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2013, 03:32 PM   #5
djberg
Registered Member

hmm good question, i guess i'll find out.

Unread 12/08/2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

my experience is the only time you smell anything is when you shut the water off to remove it. Then, the smell depends on the type of growth you are getting.

If it smells, generally you are not getting the right type of growth. But the net end result is what matters: does it filter (does it do it's job)

The things that affect this are:

- screen roughness (very rough)

- water flow rate (35 GPH per inch of screen width, measured not calculated if possible)

- Light intensity and wattage in relation to screen size (for CFL, 1-2 watts per square inch of material, split between both sides)

I can't tell much from your pic but here is what it appears like:

Screen doesn't look very rough. It needs to be really rough.

screen appears to be white material. Ideally you want the clear stuff because any opaque color blocks light when lighting on both sides. which brings to the next point:

light on both sides if you can. If this means a smaller screen, do it. you can use a screen less than half the L x W if it's lit on both sides

light needs to be perpendicular to the screen, not shining down along it. This is a big one.

flow looks OK but not covering entire screen which tells me that it's overall not enough. Making the screen 1/2 the width would corral all that water on to the screen better.

screen looks very large - about 10" x 10"? generally you can size per feeding - 12 sq in of material for each "cube" of food you feed on an average daily basis (half that for a single-sided screen). So unless you're feeding 4 cubes/day, screen is way huge.

that's just a quick eval from what I see. I want you to have a successful experiment!!

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2013, 08:28 AM   #7
djberg
Registered Member

thanks floyd,

going off your issues to address, the screen is pretty scored up, has caught a bunch of pass over algae coming out of the tank, or it's growing that fast, cant say which.single sided light is where i'm going to stay since it's a basic starter. and as for right now the only foreseeable issue that i am dealing with is i think my pass with the table saw could be 1/32-1/16" wider have to use a zip tie to slide it through to lear any algae hung up in my "slit".

Unread 12/09/2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

yeah I found out that your standard saw blade is 1/10" wide not 1/8". I had to buy a $60 Bosch blade with extra-wide kerf for "finishing" to get that width of cut. Then, once you make the cut, the pipe will want to close up so it pinches in the middle. That's why I went to schedule 80 and a router.

Getting the slot just right is pretty tricky when just doing one.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2013, 09:42 AM   #9
djberg
Registered Member

yeah my next available option was a daddo blade and i'd say that would be too wide.

Unread 12/11/2013, 01:02 PM   #10
djberg
Registered Member

3 days in, growth of the algae seems to be decent, the rest of the sump is pretty much algae less... the display is a bit of a different story, may build a second one for the main as well...

but for my little maybe $15 at most investment i'm super happy! cant wait to get the frag tank drilled tonight, though i'm pretty scared via i've never drilled/cut holes in a tank before. got everything else ready to go with that. and well i may still have a decent algae issue in the display, i'm hoping by feeding and returning the frag inline before the display, my algae in the frag should be minimal at most.

Untitled by dj.berg, on Flickr

Unread 12/11/2013, 02:08 PM   #11
MAVX
Registered Member

I may do this after I relocate my sump to the basement.

Drilling tanks is easy. Just take your time and follow directions. Only tanks I've broken were super thin 10 gallon tanks.

Good luck!

MAVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2013, 03:40 PM   #12
djberg
Registered Member

thanks max, yeah neither me or my buddy have hole saw cut any glass yet... but we have my frag and his two sumps for his 180 to do tonight.