Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2014, 04:16 PM   #1
Itchy Trigger
Registered Member

Ozone Generator Recommendations

I had been looking at the Ozotech Poseidon 200 as a possible ozone generator for my setup, but was told that I should look into something more powerful. My tank is 330g, and it was suggested I get something in the range of 600 mg.

The reasoning behind the suggestion for a larger ozonizer was that with a smaller sized ozonizer, it would be on for a longer time and would reduce skimmer foaming, whereas with a bigger unit, the ozone would come on strong, oxidize pollutants, etc., and then shut off. Additionally, with the larger unit, humidity wouldn't be as much of an issue and I could probably skip the air dryer... But what I'm seeing is that the larger models by Ozotech are HUGE. The OZ4PC10 is 32" x 16" x 10" which is just ridiculous...

I see that they make something called the Tempest, which is supposedly equal to two Poseidons, but I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere... Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Itchy Trigger; 10/19/2014 at 04:42 PM.
Itchy Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2014, 08:33 PM   #2
sean2sean
Registered Member

http://************.com/2011/04/06/u...ual-ultralife/

im using ultrazone ozone on my 225dt and 200gal sump.

no air dryer needed.

sean2sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2014, 09:12 PM   #3
Itchy Trigger
Registered Member

Thanks, Sean. I'll have to read more about ozonizers that use UV as opposed to corona discharge. And will look up the Ultrazone you mentioned.

Unread 10/20/2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Itchy Trigger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2sean View Post
http://************.com/2011/04/06/u...ual-ultralife/

im using ultrazone ozone on my 225dt and 200gal sump.

no air dryer needed.
The 360 mg/hr Ultrazone looks pretty great. What are the dimensions of the unit? And are you running it into a skimmer or a reactor?

Unread 10/20/2014, 10:51 PM   #5
sean2sean
Registered Member

yea it looks good. you can also do ozone/uv dual. check out their site...

i would say.... its about the diameter of someones forearm.... and length of elbow to palm.

its not too big.

and yes its plumbed directly to my sm250.

Unread 10/20/2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Itchy Trigger
Registered Member

Cool. And did you notice a significant improvement in water clarity after installing it? Was your skimmer's performance affected at all?

Unread 10/20/2014, 11:16 PM   #7
sean2sean
Registered Member

crystal clear.... like theres no water in the tank.

skimmer pulls more gunk. i set the ozone via my apex to turn on and off when orp reaches a certain level.

Unread 10/20/2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Itchy Trigger
Registered Member

Sounds great. Thanks - I think it sounds like a winner!

Unread 10/21/2014, 09:03 AM   #9
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
yea it looks good. you can also do ozone/uv dual. check out their site...

i would say.... its about the diameter of someones forearm.... and length of elbow to palm.

its not too big.

and yes its plumbed directly to my sm250.
What size are the inlets/outlets?

This looks interesting. I run the Poseidon 200 on my 200g display + Refugium + Frag Tank + Large Sump totally around 350g so I'm probably pushing it and have been thinking of upgrading. Have also thought of adding a UV.
But the larger Pro version is less than half the price of an appropriately sized, quality UV like Emperor Aquatics. And you get the ozone generator, too.
So I am suspicious of quality and effectiveness.
There also isn't much info out there on these guys. No user reviews or anything that I can find.

Can anyone point to more info?

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 09:11 AM   #10
Itchy Trigger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
What size are the inlets/outlets?

This looks interesting. I run the Poseidon 200 on my 200g display + Refugium + Frag Tank + Large Sump totally around 350g so I'm probably pushing it and have been thinking of upgrading. Have also thought of adding a UV.
But the larger Pro version is less than half the price of an appropriately sized, quality UV like Emperor Aquatics. And you get the ozone generator, too.
So I am suspicious of quality and effectiveness.
There also isn't much info out there on these guys. No user reviews or anything that I can find.

Can anyone point to more info?
Hey Dennis - I actually spoke to Jeff about the UltraLife Ultrazone 360 and he said it should be a pretty good unit. He said he is familiar with that company because they used to be called Ultra Life Reef and were constantly being confused with Lifereef. I don't know about the UV/Ozone dual unit though.

Unread 10/21/2014, 09:27 AM   #11
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy Trigger View Post
Hey Dennis - I actually spoke to Jeff about the UltraLife Ultrazone 360 and he said it should be a pretty good unit. He said he is familiar with that company because they used to be called Ultra Life Reef and were constantly being confused with Lifereef. I don't know about the UV/Ozone dual unit though.
ohhhh... my mistake!
What I was looking at was just the ozone generator.
I didn't realize that there were too different products... just ozone... and a combo unit.
That RB article posted above through me off. haha

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 11:49 AM   #12
Itchy Trigger
Registered Member

Quote:
crystal clear.... like theres no water in the tank.

skimmer pulls more gunk. i set the ozone via my apex to turn on and off when orp reaches a certain level.
Sean - what air pump are you using with the Ultrazone 360?

Unread 07/16/2017, 03:39 PM   #13
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

I would assume the the ultrazone dual ozone and UV unit requires an ozone reactor just like a corona based ozone generator. Is that correct?

I'm also interested in feedback on quality of the product and support. This will be good info to know before I make the purchase. Thanks

ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2017, 08:25 PM   #14
Dirte_Plumber
Registered Member

Let me know what ends up working out for you..

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Dirte_Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 09:26 AM   #15
Steve175
Registered Member

Any update here?

Current Tank Info: 2 separate 250G bowfront rimless ELOS tanks plumbed to 260G sump, 220G refugium, 220G frag, BK DeLuxe 300, 400W MH x4, closed loops, 3/4hp chiller x2, Phos reactor, Kalk reactor, Charcoal reactor, Ca reactor, 60G surge tanks, & a huge elec bill
Steve175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 01:41 PM   #16
moondoggy4
Registered Member

If you are looking for a used setup slief is selling one. ie the bubble king guy.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 02:56 PM   #17
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
If you are looking for a used setup slief is selling one. ie the bubble king guy.
Thanks for thinking of me! I’m trying to sell the complete ozone reactor setup but I’d prefer not to ship due to the size of the setup and risk of damage. That said, I could seperate the 500mg/hr ozone generator and just include my Ozotech Poseidon 200 with the reactor or sell the Poseidon 200 by itself which is what I had planned to so. That said, the original post in this thread is very old.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 12:53 AM   #18
Steve175
Registered Member

It is old/sorry. I have been on the fence about adding ozone either through a reactor or through my BK 300. I wanted to see if the OP had added it and, if so, noticed any change. My PE is reasonable [but not great] and how does one know whether their water is as clear as possible. . . [Green grass over the fence vs. The enemy of good. . .]

Current Tank Info: 2 separate 250G bowfront rimless ELOS tanks plumbed to 260G sump, 220G refugium, 220G frag, BK DeLuxe 300, 400W MH x4, closed loops, 3/4hp chiller x2, Phos reactor, Kalk reactor, Charcoal reactor, Ca reactor, 60G surge tanks, & a huge elec bill
Steve175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 02:42 PM   #19
FirstContact
Registered Member

I run ozone. I know it's passe and not popular in our USA anymore.

When I do a WC, the outgoing SW is just as clear in the bucket as the incoming SW.

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock
FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 07:36 PM   #20
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

FWIW, I run an Ozotech on my small 75G tank. I know, not as big as all of these tanks. But the greatest thing I ever did was add their electric drying unit to automatically regenerate the air drying every evening. It is wonderful not to have to worry about that.

Also, a tip and recommendation I would give. Try not to set up the ozonizer to turn on and off just at a specific ORP. If something happens to your probe, you could seriously wipe out your tank in one shot. The safest way to do this is to set a timer on your Apex and then have the Apex also turn it off if it gets too high. So on my small tank I run 2 minutes of ozone every half hour and turn off if the ORP reaches 430. The Apex virtually never turns off the ozone due to the probe and now there is really no way for anything to cause my ozone to run for more than 2 minutes every half hour (which I already deemed safe for my set up.

So my tip, is set your cut off for a little higher than you'd like ideally. Then just keep increasing how often to run you ozone for each 30 minutes using something like the osc function. That is a REALLY safe way to dose ozone.

FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 07:40 PM   #21
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

Sorry, I'll just post my Apex code here as I think it might be easier to understand.

Set OFF
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/002:00/028:00 Then ON
If ORP > 425 Then OFF
If Outlet Skimmer = OFF Then OFF
If Time 00:00 to 08:00 Then OFF
If Time 20:00 to 23:59 Then OFF

As you can see, I don't actually depend on the ORP probe to turn off the ozone. It's just a last resort. The 2 minutes per 30 min is sufficient to keep my ORP where I need it.

The last two lines are to turn off the ozone while the electric dryer regenerates the media.

Cheers,
FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote