Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/29/2014, 10:15 AM   #551
karimwassef
Registered Member

Which UV sterilizer did you try? What dose of peroxide did you use?

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2014, 10:46 AM   #552
Royce7586
Registered Member

I didn't try to UV thought i'm curious to hear an update on Jedimasterben's uv he is running because most people didn't seem to see too much of an effect from it. I tried double the recommended does of peroxide with little effect. Water changes cause them to increase drastically.

One thing that I think does work and I maybe have to bite the bullet and break down all my rock work to do it is dipping the rocks individually in a strong dip of hydrogen peroxide but this only seems to kill them off for a bit since there are still dinos in the tank

Royce7586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2014, 07:22 AM   #553
Montireef
Registered Member

Hi folks!

My 600 gal system have been struck with an ostreopsis ovata bloom almost two months ago; I lost about 30 fishes, dozens of snails and urchins and many many SPSs, mainly acroporas.

It seems that some microorganism has entered the system and it's been about four days that I watch it vanish leaving a whitish mucilage behind (that is eaten by fishes, snails and even some corals). I see no damage in fish or inverts at all and the tank is now thriving.

Here is a video sample of what I am talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKeEeFt_gBU

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2014, 10:42 AM   #554
karimwassef
Registered Member

Get a sample to a local university? Let's identify the new bug.

What did you add? Food? Live rock? Love sand? Salt? Additive?

Unread 12/30/2014, 10:45 AM   #555
Montireef
Registered Member

two kgs live rock and 2 litres skimmate

Unread 12/30/2014, 11:13 AM   #556
karimwassef
Registered Member

Uncured or cured? Where from?

Skimmate??

Unread 12/30/2014, 11:41 AM   #557
Montireef
Registered Member

Yes, my system was too ULNS and noticed important bacterial growth in the skimmate so I dumped the whole cup. Corals got very happy and extended polyps. One week later I noticed ostreopsis mucilage turning white and on the microscope I see millions of these microorganisms thriving.

I have also been dosing large amounts of Ca(OH)2 keeping pH around 8,7 and put off CO2 input to the Ca reactor.

Live rock was from Indonesia

Unread 12/30/2014, 11:42 AM   #558
Montireef
Registered Member

I think that they also prey on nematodes and snails love them for dinner

Unread 12/30/2014, 12:10 PM   #559
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

a 55w pond sterilizer on my 34 gallon is what's doing the trick right now...i'm using very low flow, less than 300gph on the sterilizer which is rated at a max flow of 400gph for level 2 sterilization...i did a 3 day blackout right before installing the UV and then siphoned out and blew as much dinos into the water column as possible...it worked pretty much instantaneously, i've seen no signs of strings or bubbles since and it's been 3 weeks...i also removed more than half my sand bed just to be safe

not to say my problem is gone...if i don't see them again in 3 months then i'll claim i'm cured but 3 weeks and visually dino-free allowed me to enjoy my Christmas a whole lot more!

ps - these were all suggestions given to me by brandon429 from nano-reefs...it was his suggestion to go as big as possible and get a pond sterilizer so i take no credit for this

PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2014, 12:18 PM   #560
karimwassef
Registered Member

That's what I call nuking the plankton ecosystem. I'm running 40W on a 600gal. Hopefully the only difference will be the time it takes.

Unread 12/30/2014, 12:23 PM   #561
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

and by the way i've tried all the recommended treatments:

- 5 day blackout - dinos gone for 2 weeks then came back, did another 3 day blackout and they came back in 2 days, stronger and all over the place moreso than originally, browned out a lot of my SPS

- high pH (8.6) - did nothing

- high alk (16dkH!) - did nothing but RTN a few of my SPS

- H2O2 (30ml morning and evening) - did nothing

- H2O2 (60ml morning and evening) - did nothing

- H2O2 (spot targetted problem areas with enough H2O2 to nuke the tank while i was drunk and on the verge of giving up) - did nothing but RTN and brown out ALL my corals for weeks...dinos that died were replaced the very next day...killed 3 of my fish and a beautiful hawaiian harlequin shrimp that i had just purchased a week prior

- Fauna Marin Ultra Algae X and DinoXal - did nothing

- Cuprisorb, replacing carbon, skimming super wet, adding bacteria, reducing photoperiod (4 hour blues, 2 hour white), praying to my deity, Chemi-Clean, cussing at my tank, running RowaPhos in a reactor, adding tons of snails - did nothing

Unread 12/30/2014, 12:33 PM   #562
karimwassef
Registered Member

So low flow UV did it.

Unread 12/30/2014, 12:43 PM   #563
joeyvu
Registered Member

WOW, montireef. Good news for us. I have to get more live rocks from my local store...I have not seen any dinos in my tank for three weeks now using all the approach that every one is talking. I added two small rocks that I got from the local fish store a week ago. Maybe I need to get more. .

joeyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2014, 12:48 PM   #564
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
So low flow UV did it.
for me yes, SO FAR...i'm still very skeptical after doing the 5 day lights out and seeing them disappear after 2 weeks only to seem them come right back so i am not 100% convince they are gone yet...theoretically, however, whatever dinos are in the water column and enter my UV bazooka should be killed so at the very least they are not able to reproduce as quickly as before and i'm fine with them no longer blooming

that is good news if just by adding new rock and more biological diversity/ bacteria from the rock further inhibits their blooms

Unread 12/30/2014, 01:14 PM   #565
joeyvu
Registered Member

PorkchopExpress. For me, adding H2O2 in addition to UV kill the dinos even faster.

Unread 12/30/2014, 01:19 PM   #566
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvu View Post
WOW, montireef. Good news for us. I have to get more live rocks from my local store...I have not seen any dinos in my tank for three weeks now using all the approach that every one is talking. I added two small rocks that I got from the local fish store a week ago. Maybe I need to get more. .
I can give you some of these microorganisms if you come to pick them up. We have also found a chytrid that kills most of the dinoflagellates and doesn`t harm the system.

Unread 12/30/2014, 01:22 PM   #567
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
PorkchopExpress. For me, adding H2O2 in addition to UV kill the dinos even faster.
Not at all in my case. I overdosed H2O2, used intensive UV germicide, did 3 days blackout and dosed Algae-X/Dinoxal with no success at all.

My tanks got infected with ostreopsis, it would have done the trick with prorocentrum, amphidinium and many others, but not with ostreopsis.

Every kind of dinoflagellate needs it's own remedy, though there are some rules we can use in general.

Did you id your dinoflagellates, mates? That's the first thing to do. Go get the microscope, it's not that hard.

Unread 12/30/2014, 01:41 PM   #568
DNA
Registered Member

Montireef.

A way to go and a video to back it up. (What magnification did you use)?

Last year when I added 20Kg of partly cured live rock I had very good results.
First I thought it was the raised nitrates, but later I speculated it to be something else.
Please measure nitrates so we can understand better what is going on.

I have 4kg live rock sitting in a thriving reef tank. Can't wait to see what it does in two weeks.
I'll give liter of skimmate to my 400gallon system a chance tomorrow. - Did you keep your skimmer going?

This is exciting!

Last edited by DNA; 12/30/2014 at 01:59 PM.
DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2014, 02:30 PM   #569
karimwassef
Registered Member

Why add skimmate? Just stop skimming?

Unread 12/30/2014, 02:56 PM   #570
joeyvu
Registered Member

Montireef, I wish I am closed to you so I can get some of your microbes. I don't have access to a microscope, maybe buying one on the net. Have to look for one now....I have struggled with this dinos for almost 9 months now. It kills 99% of my corals, snails (the turbo kinds). not fish. So far, it seems to disappear. Keep my fingers crossed.

Unread 12/30/2014, 03:02 PM   #571
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

Quote:
thanks but the H2O2 really didn't do a lot for me when i used it...the only time it actually killed dinos was when i overdosed on it but it also killed a ton of other life as well - at regular to double dosage it did nothing at all...plus i'm satisfied currently with the results from just the UV light...my birdsnest that was constantly being attacked is finally growing its tissue back now and i'm not seeing my snails dying anymore

Unread 12/30/2014, 03:23 PM   #572
joeyvu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
thanks but the H2O2 really didn't do a lot for me when i used it...the only time it actually killed dinos was when i overdosed on it but it also killed a ton of other life as well - at regular to double dosage it did nothing at all...plus i'm satisfied currently with the results from just the UV light...my birdsnest that was constantly being attacked is finally growing its tissue back now and i'm not seeing my snails dying anymore
good news for you..For me, H2O2 alone do some damage but not completely or UV alone.

Unread 12/30/2014, 03:43 PM   #573
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

Quote:
good news for you..For me, H2O2 alone do some damage but not completely or UV alone.
what size UV did you go with? mine is so strong and the water flows through it so slowly that it's raised my tank temperature by 6 degrees...i've had to bust out a fan to blow air over the water and i'm having to top off water twice as much due to the evaporation

Unread 12/30/2014, 03:50 PM   #574
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Montireef.

A way to go and a video to back it up. (What magnification did you use)?

Last year when I added 20Kg of partly cured live rock I had very good results.
First I thought it was the raised nitrates, but later I speculated it to be something else.
Please measure nitrates so we can understand better what is going on.

I have 4kg live rock sitting in a thriving reef tank. Can't wait to see what it does in two weeks.
I'll give liter of skimmate to my 400gallon system a chance tomorrow. - Did you keep your skimmer going?

This is exciting!
Magnification is about x200 if I remember well.

Nitrates are undetectable with RedSea test but noticed they have risen a bit since I get a greenish small film on some places. phosphates are also close to zero.

Unread 12/30/2014, 03:54 PM   #575
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Why add skimmate? Just stop skimming?
It wouldn't be the same.

The skimmate holds many different microorganisms that won't be present in the tank or at least in amount enough to thrive. You have to let it sit in the collection cup for more than a week, warm and dark. You will see many new microorganisms growing and competing.