Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > SpectraPure
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08/01/2013, 12:33 PM   #1
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Phosphate (PO4) and your RODI system

With the advent of inexpensive hand held phosphate checkers, there has been a fairly recent wave of people posting threads on "high" phosphate levels in their tank, or from the tap water, or even "from" their RODI system.

First, please do a search here on the forums, in particular the reef chemistry forum. There is much available information on sources of PO4, and the proper use of checkers, handling, sample prep, accuracy and issues/limitations of various popular checkers. Also the sources of PO4 and relative contribution to the overall condition of your micro environment.

Our experience has been that customers reporting unusual or "high" PO4 levels from what otherwise appear to be properly functioning RODI systems have been notoriously difficult to reproduce when the systems or cartridges are returned to us for testing and verification using our laboratory equipment and lab trained personnel. We use a variety of equipment, and sampling techniques, as this been a ongoing critical activity for our in house QA/QC of source DI resins that we use to compound our own mixed beds.

An especially interesting data point is that we have not one example of a returned "bad" system or "bad" cartridge (that was not expended/had remaining capacity to remove ionic loads) that allowed phosphate to pass or elute above incoming levels. Granted this has been on our own products, not others.

As others have posted elsewhere in the forums, it is critical to understand and be proficient in
-your measurement instrument operation, accuracy and conditions.
-reagent condition and use
-proper sample preparation, handling, vessel selection.

Another concept that amazes me is when a customer casually states they have a "troubling" .017 reading. In my mind I am thinking of all of the factors that can lead to an erroneous reading, as the customer is stating they have an actual reading of 17 parts per billion. At these levels, many factors can contribute to errors in detection. One must be very methodical, precise, and careful to make repeatable measurements at these low levels.

Another popular question asked is which of our DI cartridges do we recommend for phosphate removal from RO feeds, and depending on your system DI configuration (either single stage, or dual stage) in general our line of deionizing cartridges remove phosphate efficiently and with longevity similar to general ionic loads. For single stage we recommend the silica buster, and for dual stages the maxcap/silica buster pair.

bruce

helpful links:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ight=phosphate

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

Bruce

Last edited by SpectraPure; 08/01/2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: links inserted
SpectraPure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2013, 11:07 AM   #2
igvm
Registered Member

I installed new SpectraPure RO/DI system maybe a month ago and then added extra DI unit. Also, I added second RO membrane to increase my water production, 2 RO water tanks, check valve between the tanks and DI units.
So I have:

1. Sediment filter from SpectraPure
2. Carbon block from SpectraPure
3. RO membrane from SpectraPure and second one from BRS
4. 2 RO water tanks
5. Check valve
6. 2 DI units linked one after the other, filled with BRS color changing resin.

My TDS meter measures about 10-15ppm at the input of my first DI cartridge and 0 at the output of the second.

I just measured PO4 in my RO/DI water using Hannah Checker and discovered that it is about 0.1ppm, which is bad. What is wrong here ?

igvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2013, 12:04 PM   #3
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

As mentioned in the previous post:

"As others have posted elsewhere in the forums, it is critical to understand and be proficient in
-your measurement instrument operation, accuracy and conditions.
-reagent condition and use
-proper sample preparation, handling, vessel selection."

Additionally, phosphates are one of the most readily removed elements when passed through a good quality mixed-bed resin.

Shane
Spectrapure, Inc

Old 01/18/2015, 08:31 PM   #4
Chicago
Registered Member

So are we saying then it is the test checker. .? Or what.

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2015, 10:11 PM   #5
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Chicago,

It is typically the way we test, or bad reagents, or not rinsing the cuvette with DI water, or many other things. Phosphate media is typically standard these days to remove the phosphates.

Jeremy

Old 01/22/2015, 10:59 PM   #6
Chicago
Registered Member

Great. Thanks

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2015, 12:47 PM   #7
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

You are very welcome!

Old 07/28/2015, 05:14 PM   #8
PSchreck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectraPure View Post
Chicago,

It is typically the way we test, or bad reagents, or not rinsing the cuvette with DI water, or many other things. Phosphate media is typically standard these days to remove the phosphates.

Jeremy
I never even thought to rinse the cuvette in RODI water. Duh.

PSchreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/28/2015, 07:44 PM   #9
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

These little things that we learn as time moves forward right?? =)