Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 08/25/2015, 04:56 PM   #1626
mathman7728
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
What kind of pods
any will do (IMHO) the point is to add as much "new" life as possible. i used:
indo pacific sea: worms, pods, stars, etc.
reef to goods
algae barn: pods and phyto

i also added a few more fish from the LFS in Silverdale WA (which required more feeding of the fish), that combined with drier skimmate i think produced more "food" and out competed the dinos...

it worked for me (and i did try UltraX which didnt do anything for me)


mathman7728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2015, 04:59 PM   #1627
mathman7728
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
Amphipods, copepods and I added pods+ from reef cleaners
oh yeah, i also used reef cleaners for tons of new snails and the fuzzy critons (strange looking things but kinda cool looking in a prehistoric way VERY VERY slow moving), limpits....


mathman7728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2015, 05:08 PM   #1628
karimwassef
Registered Member
 
karimwassef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,825
My urchins ate everything when I had dinos. My snails died but my urchins trudged on.

Ancient creatures designed to survive ancient enemies?


__________________
Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 12:00 PM   #1629
DNA
Registered Member
 
DNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Iceland
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post

Saturday morning I started to add the content of my skimmer back to the tank after having sat there for a week.
I drained the wet part from the skimmer in 3 doses 3 hours apart to make sure it was not too much of a shock to the fish.
I can't say I like the smell of sulfur in the morning, but it didn't seem to have any effect on the fishes.

The skimmer was turned off and the water turned slightly less transparent with the 0.4gallon (1.5 litres) of skimate back in there.
I scraped the glass as well to add to the mix and added a bag of GAC to a high flow area.

Last night the dinos took off the sand bed for their nightly swim in the water column and today right after the lights come on they all returned so it looks identical to how it did yesterday.

If something happens in the next few days or not, you will be the first to know.

The results are in.
After 5 days the dinos are just going on with their daily lives as usual.
If fact I've got slightly more of them right now than last 12 months.

This means we can't say that recycled skimmate will help with a dino problem.
We also can't say it's useless until several others try this out.


DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 12:07 PM   #1630
cal_stir
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: corunna,ontario,canada
Posts: 263
12 weeks since I considered myself dino free, just finished putting samples of skimmate and sock collectings under the microscope and absolutely 0 dinos to be found, just lots of plankton that I never saw while I had dinos.
Wish I had looked at samples before I had dinos.
Bubble algae still disappearing to.


cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 12:34 PM   #1631
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member
 
Quiet_Ivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 390
Day 3 adding week-old skimmate collected in a jar back to my tank.

Good news: Got here this morning and Whoah! 90% of the cyano is gone!

Bad news: big dino outbreak, I see the harder brown circular spots on the glass and some have developed strings since yesterday morning. Hermit crab is ok. Corals ok except for my hammer which sucked all its polyps in and looks very cranky.

hypothesis: dinos survive better in a jar than other bacteria? Or they consumed the bacteria. If I'm just re-culturing dinos this won't do much good. Really need to buy a decent microscope. Should also see if I can get a big cup of skimmate from someone who doesn't have dinos.

Dang.

Ivy


__________________
28g cube, CF 105watts! Tunze 9001. Tiny frags: Euphyllia, blasto, ricordea and a rock flower anemone. Lost fish and inverts due to ongoing outbreak of dinoflagellates.

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 12:35 PM   #1632
DNA
Registered Member
 
DNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Iceland
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
12 weeks since I considered myself dino free, just finished putting samples of skimmate and sock collectings under the microscope and absolutely 0 dinos to be found, just lots of plankton that I never saw while I had dinos.
Wish I had looked at samples before I had dinos.
Bubble algae still disappearing to.
That's a milestone alright.
It further strengthens what we have been saying about plankton and bio diversity.
There is no doubt we are going places in this thread.

If you could in a single post go through your case.
The type of dinos you had, how it affected your tank and what you did to correct the situation.

Something short, but enough for others to follow.


DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 12:39 PM   #1633
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member
 
Quiet_Ivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
The results are in.
After 5 days the dinos are just going on with their daily lives as usual.
If fact I've got slightly more of them right now than last 12 months.

This means we can't say that recycled skimmate will help with a dino problem.
We also can't say it's useless until several others try this out.
I think we might be just culturing our own dinos, they probably get sucked into the skimmer and survive quite happily. Why'd it work for Monti and Cal? Maybe the predatory bacteria just aren't there in our tanks while they have them. Skimmate from someone else's tank would be interesting to try.


Ivy


__________________
28g cube, CF 105watts! Tunze 9001. Tiny frags: Euphyllia, blasto, ricordea and a rock flower anemone. Lost fish and inverts due to ongoing outbreak of dinoflagellates.

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 12:53 PM   #1634
cal_stir
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: corunna,ontario,canada
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
I think we might be just culturing our own dinos, they probably get sucked into the skimmer and survive quite happily. Why'd it work for Monti and Cal? Maybe the predatory bacteria just aren't there in our tanks while they have them. Skimmate from someone else's tank would be interesting to try.


Ivy
I never put skimmate back into the tank.


cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 12:55 PM   #1635
cal_stir
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: corunna,ontario,canada
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
That's a milestone alright.
It further strengthens what we have been saying about plankton and bio diversity.
There is no doubt we are going places in this thread.

If you could in a single post go through your case.
The type of dinos you had, how it affected your tank and what you did to correct the situation.

Something short, but enough for others to follow.
I tried to sum it all up in post 1589.


cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 01:03 PM   #1636
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member
 
Quiet_Ivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
I never put skimmate back into the tank.
Whoops, sorry. I should have read back instead of going by memory.

Ivy


__________________
28g cube, CF 105watts! Tunze 9001. Tiny frags: Euphyllia, blasto, ricordea and a rock flower anemone. Lost fish and inverts due to ongoing outbreak of dinoflagellates.

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 01:23 PM   #1637
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 205
Here are two pics of the front of my glass through dirty glass (sorry).

Looks to be some green algae showing up and I think diatoms.






Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 01:31 PM   #1638
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
My urchins ate everything when I had dinos. My snails died but my urchins trudged on.

Ancient creatures designed to survive ancient enemies?
Funny, I added an urchin when I added my new fish a few weeks ago and it's almost destroyed everything any algae I've had on my rocks and back wall.

Wait til it finds my front glass.


Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 01:36 PM   #1639
Billybatz9
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 557
I have dinos and would like to try to dose hydrogen peroxide as I have researched and read that this is one of the biggest ways to get rid of them. Does anyone know the specifics on how much to dose, when to dose, and if it's just regular hydrogen peroxide that they sell at Walmart that I dose?

Before
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2G0f9tpRN3M

After
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ENj_qkHpS0I


Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 01:44 PM   #1640
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
Whoops, sorry. I should have read back instead of going by memory.

Ivy
I've added skimmate as well however I've not seen dinos since I dose chemiclean and added pods/phyto. I added skimmate after that


Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 01:46 PM   #1641
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
I have dinos and would like to try to dose hydrogen peroxide as I have researched and read that this is one of the biggest ways to get rid of them. Does anyone know the specifics on how much to dose, when to dose, and if it's just regular hydrogen peroxide that they sell at Walmart that I dose?

Before
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2G0f9tpRN3M

After
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ENj_qkHpS0I
I tried Peroxide and yes its the normal store bought kind. I didn't see results.


Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 04:00 PM   #1642
cal_stir
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: corunna,ontario,canada
Posts: 263
No results with h2o2 here either.


cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 04:03 PM   #1643
Billybatz9
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
No results with h2o2 here either.
When did you apply it? At night or during the day?


Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 04:12 PM   #1644
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 205
lights out if I recall correctly.


Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 05:04 PM   #1645
cal_stir
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: corunna,ontario,canada
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
When did you apply it? At night or during the day?
I did 1ml/10gal for 10 days with lights on and nothing, then I did another 5 days with 4 days lights out and still nothing, might have ****ed the dinos off a bit but didn't make a dent.


cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 05:11 PM   #1646
cal_stir
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: corunna,ontario,canada
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
I did 1ml/10gal for 10 days with lights on and nothing, then I did another 5 days with 4 days lights out and still nothing, might have ****ed the dinos off a bit but didn't make a dent.
I did dose at night with my skimmer off.


cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 05:43 PM   #1647
natas
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 390
I have a question that I am very curious to hear a good answer to. My Dino disappear at night much like everyone else. My understanding here is that they go into the water column at night. How do we explain how they always end up in the same place the next morning? I literally have spots on the sand that show no Dino. The spots that are showing disappear at night and look the same (sometimes bigger) the next morning. And yet the spots that were clear the day before are still clear


natas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 06:15 PM   #1648
DNA
Registered Member
 
DNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Iceland
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by natas View Post
I have a question that I am very curious to hear a good answer to. My Dino disappear at night much like everyone else. My understanding here is that they go into the water column at night. How do we explain how they always end up in the same place the next morning? I literally have spots on the sand that show no Dino. The spots that are showing disappear at night and look the same (sometimes bigger) the next morning. And yet the spots that were clear the day before are still clear

Natural habitat and chemical markers would be high on the list.


DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 06:18 PM   #1649
natas
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 390
Care to expand on that? Just really want to learn and understand these vial things


natas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 07:48 PM   #1650
cal_stir
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: corunna,ontario,canada
Posts: 263
I would have agree with DNA, I tried changing the flow but they always found the same spots.


cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:13 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014