Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2015, 12:21 PM   #1
Mattsaquariums
Registered Member

AquaticLife Halo Deluxe MX80 LED Fixture??

Anyone have any experience with this light? Ive always wanted kessil's but these seem to be very similar and a little cheaper.

Mattsaquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2015, 04:56 PM   #2
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Do a search there have been a coupe of threads on them, the current ROTM has them.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2015, 10:37 PM   #3
Mattsaquariums
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
Do a search there have been a coupe of threads on them, the current ROTM has them.
Sorry what is ROTM? I dont really use the fourm to often lol

Mattsaquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2015, 06:23 AM   #4
petro2342
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsaquariums View Post
Sorry what is ROTM? I dont really use the fourm to often lol
I'd assume it stands for "Reef Of The Month"

petro2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2015, 06:42 AM   #5
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro2342 View Post
I'd assume it stands for "Reef Of The Month"
Very close, it's "Reefer Of The Month"

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2015, 11:34 AM   #6
moondoggy4
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/an...ment.php?f=212 Not Tank of the Month but as shifty stated Reefer of the Month I believe that he was a Tank of the month as well. solitude127

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2015, 02:08 PM   #7
Greybeard
Registered Member

Just put one on my 60g cube... today, in fact. So far, so good... plenty of light, but since it's a new tank, and there's very little in it yet, I can't comment on growth rates and such.

It's compact, and self contained (small in line AC/DC power supply, no external ballast). Looks pretty good on an open top system.

Programming: 3 light channels, blue, white, and moonlight (which is apparently 1/2 power blue channel). You can program startup and shutdown time for each channel, duration of ramp up and ramp down. Programming is done from the 2 buttons on the front. Not terribly complex, but it does what I need it to do. I've unplugged it a few times, it seems to remember it's settings.

2 knobs on the top control overall intensity and blue/white color fade. Adjust this when both main channels are at full power. Easy.

Mounting arm is quite high quality, IMHO. Good wire control, seems quite secure on my 8mm rimless tank. Powder coated aluminum, for the most part. What appear to be good quality stainless screws.

Near Zero light spillage... lights the tank, doesn't light the floor around the tank, or blind you when you look at it. I'm using the 80 deg lens, on a 24" cube, almost as high as the tank mount will go.

Longevity? Coral growth? Only time will tell.

Oh, and mine doesn't say 'Aquatic Life' ... anywhere. It's made by Tiaojiou, a company I have never heard of... don't even know which Asian nation they come from (looked it up... they're in Taiwan). Aquatic Life would seem merely the US distributor.

Over-exposed cell phone pic... light intensity is probably around 75%, white/blue color mix about 50/50.

Last edited by Greybeard; 09/11/2015 at 02:29 PM.
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 12:34 PM   #8
Funatic
Registered Member

Advice on Halo MX80 settings

Hi I am new to reefing and this forum and, for better or worse, am using an MX80 (sold to me used from my local store) on my 20 gallon high reef tank. Just have some Zoas, mushrooms, eupehlia (sp?), torch corals, etc (mostly soft corals and beginner corals) and after about a year, was wondering if anyone had some general light setting recommendations for this lighting system and type of set up? I saw some settings mentioned above. How is that working for you? Thank you!

Funatic is offline   Reply With Quote