Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2015, 08:32 AM   #1
Mark75
Registered Member

My pictures are terrible!!!

Okay guys,...I need some advice!

I would like to be able to take better photos of my coral but have zero photography skills or even a camera other than my Iphone 5.

I am not looking for pro grade pictures, just a picture that resembles what I see when I look in the tank.

I would rather not do any photo editing.

So, my question; Is there a point and shoot camera that will give me better photos than my Iphone 5 that doesn't cost a fortune or require lots of knowledge?

Mark75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2015, 06:49 AM   #2
Webmanny
Registered Member

If you want to get better pictures of the actual colors with your phone, I recommend using gel filters. I got mine on eBay and it makes my life so much easier. No apps to install, no post processing to do, etc. Below is a picture with a gel in the center to show the difference and also the ebay link.

Just play with all the orange filters and you will find one that makes everything look just like it does in real life.

I also use those clip on or magnetic rather, lenses that you get on eBay and they are pretty good. I rarely take out my Nikon these days. Below, I also shared a few pics I took with the macro lens and the gel filters.

Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Filters-...item43df592059

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2015, 03:29 PM   #3
IPT
Registered Member

Usually because of the lights you will need some sort of processing. Albeit infront of the camera as mentioned or with post processing. Digital rarely looks correct right out of the camera unless you have the option to pre-set white balance. That's just the nature of digital.

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2015, 08:13 PM   #4
gremliw
Registered Member

use a gel filter

gremliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2015, 02:57 PM   #5
susan2626
Registered Member

Gels for iphone

Hi all...dumb question.....how to you attach the gel to the iPhone? Are they magnetic?

susan2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2015, 10:03 AM   #6
Webmanny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan2626 View Post
Hi all...dumb question.....how to you attach the gel to the iPhone? Are they magnetic?

You can just hold it while holding the phone, but if you want, you can also add the magnetic lens to your phone for some great macro shots like the one above I shared.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 10:08 AM   #7
dastrder
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips (I know this was 6 months ago, but great help)

Current Tank Info: 90g Mixed Reef
dastrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2016, 09:17 AM   #8
OliviaBlogger
Registered Member

Wink

You can take a photo and just add filters, I also use filters, and the images looks well.

OliviaBlogger is offline   Reply With Quote