Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2016, 05:45 PM   #76
homer1475
Registered Member

You and I must have gotten different piping then, as all their stuff works perfectly with all the regular 1" stuff. Their piping is the exact same dimensions as the 1" I bought from BRS. Their bulkheads work with the regular 1" I got also. Maybe they switched? IDK but all my plumbing is standard inch sizing.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2016, 05:52 PM   #77
soulpatch
Registered Member

Then you got lucky. They only sent cheap 1 inch bulkhead with mine

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2016, 05:55 PM   #78
homer1475
Registered Member

Ooh their definitely el'cheapo bulkheads, But all my plumbing is american standard. I most definitely replaced the bulkheads with the better ones from BRS.

Unread 03/05/2016, 05:58 PM   #79
homer1475
Registered Member

I'm just going to let the E drain empty in to the return section(basically reversing the pic of the original plumbing), shouldn't cause any issues as it only "trickles", and it will make the plumbing look way cleaner.

Unread 03/05/2016, 10:12 PM   #80
kellerexpress
Registered Member

not my pic but heres how someone else plumbed their overflow so they could have their return on the side.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151227_192718.jpg (26.4 KB, 262 views)
kellerexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2016, 10:17 PM   #81
kellerexpress
Registered Member

One more

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151227_191144.jpg (31.6 KB, 203 views)
kellerexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2016, 12:00 PM   #82
homer1475
Registered Member

So first thing first, I hated the white 45's so ordered up some schedule 80 grey 45's, and decided to just dump my emergency into the return section so I can have clean looking plumbing.

I tried plumbing the return different with different pieces, but no matter how I did it, I still didn't have enough room to move the return over to the last hole. First world problems of buying a reef ready tank.

Then while I was playing in the overflow, I snapped 2 of the teeth on my weir off(so ****ed!!!). Super glued them back on, but not sure how they will fair in the long run.

Unread 03/07/2016, 08:02 AM   #83
soulpatch
Registered Member

Get some weldon from home depot for the teeth on the overflow. I snapped two of mine as well and left them off. Not a huge deal for me as it is still too small where the water is going to have any of my fish go.

Unread 03/09/2016, 04:40 PM   #84
homer1475
Registered Member

Seeing as its nearly 70 out today and I have the day off, I figured I would crawl under my house and get the floor braced up. For some reason I always forget to take pictures while in the process.

I added a 2x8 to span across the 3 floor joists the tank will span, and added joist hangers. There is a beam the joists sit on, but felt this would be added security. Yes I know my braces is slightly short, but with the hangers and holding up over half the joist, I think it will be fine. I screwed the beam in place using timberlock screws(there shear weight is 10x that of normal deck screws(I used these to build my deck per codes request).

Here I dug down below the frost line and stacked 5 bricks and filled with concrete. Then placed the block on top. I was assured that even though these blocks are designed to hold a 4x4, a 6x6 would be fine resting on the top.

And here's the finished product. I believe this should do the trick.

Unread 03/09/2016, 05:57 PM   #85
soulpatch
Registered Member

Looks good homer

Unread 03/12/2016, 02:44 PM   #86
homer1475
Registered Member

Got the plumbing somewhat finished, who supplies a 1" hose and only a 1/2" barbed fitting with a return pump?

Anyways, I got it rigged up to leak test the plumbing and to see if the new sump configuration would work well enough, and to shim up the stand. Everything seems to work quite well! Just need to get down to lowes and find a proper adapter.

I also want to pickup a length of square aluminum tubing to make the 2 light fixtures into one. This will make hanging them much easier and cleaner. I ordered in those Sun lifts to hang the lights from the ceiling so I can easily lift them up and down as needed. Also if I make them one fixture with a frame of sorts, I can use 2 lifts instead of 4, I think it will look cleaner in the long run.

Couple small things left to do before I can fill it up with salt rock and sand and get the cycle kicked off.

paint my return plumbing so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
shim the sump a little bit(who would have thought that if the stand was level the sump wouldn't be?)
make a "frame" for the 2 light fixtures
hang the lights from the ceiling
make the screen top(I have the stuff to do it, just waiting on the clips to hold it to the tank so I know exactly what size to make it.

Thats about it. I'm thinking by sometime next week I can start filling it up.

Unread 03/14/2016, 09:54 AM   #87
homer1475
Registered Member

Well got it all drained and cleaned up. Plumbing is finished with the proper fittings, light hangers should be here today so I'll probably get that setup tomorrow. Put the sand and rock in, pretty happy with the aquascape. Not 100% sure I want to add my existing rock. I will peel some of the zoas off, but want to avoid the blueberry start polyps that are spreading everywhere.

Critique on the aquascape? Obviously the bowl is just for filling so I don't blow the sand everywhere.

Unread 03/14/2016, 09:14 PM   #88
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Critique on the aquascape? Obviously the bowl is just for filling so I don't blow the sand everywhere.
Keep the bowl!

Nah. It looks like a nice lagoon setup, which I have traditionally preferred. I'm thinking with my next tank of doing more sparse rock/bonsai/2 piles with swim room. But do think yours looks good as is, with lots of swimming room between under and around the rocks, and I like that the lagoon also offers plenty of horizontal/diagonal space for coral placement, as well as a protected lagoon in the middle for clams, fungia, ricordias, elegance coral (cherry corals have some beautiful aquacultured elegance corals if you have the room), etc.

Since I'm commenting anyway, I love the plumbing and sump, and the under-floor bracing. I like reading the DIY threads that I see you posting in where people are reinforcing their floors. Needs more Tim the Tool Man Taylor Ho Ho Ho.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2016, 07:25 AM   #89
homer1475
Registered Member

After playing with the rock for hours, I've come to the conclusion that I really like the lagoon look too. No matter how I placed my rock I always ended up with some sort of lagoon.

Tanks about half full(man this is going to take forever only making 5G every 2 1/2 hours). I have just my 2 leftover hydor nano PH just to keep things moving so the water doesn't get stagnate. With just those 2 nano's in there I can already see I have decent flow through the rocks and the entire tank in general. I can see where I'll probably have 2 small dead spots on either side of the overflow. I'm thinking that I can avoid these areas by adjusting the return nozzles so they are pointed down and at the side glass. Once the tank is full, I can test this theory.

I'm thinking of the 2 mp10's on either side of the glass down low, then the 2 hydor nanos up high on the back glass firing off at 5 minute intervals and pointed toward the surface for adequate gas exchange. Very similar to how I have the biocube now, but on a larger scale.

Unread 03/15/2016, 07:33 AM   #90
soulpatch
Registered Member

I would probably add a rock in the middle of the lagoon in the front center for a show piece coral. Just a small rock but still something to fill the gap slightly with something like a gold torch and then a few clams on the sand bed around it.

Unread 03/15/2016, 07:38 AM   #91
homer1475
Registered Member

Yeah I as planning on putting my 2 suns and a large maxima in the middle of the lagoon. I'll play with it some more once I start transferring things over.

Unread 03/15/2016, 07:44 AM   #92
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Since you have the lagoon with rock cover down low, would it be worth making the static hydor powerheads be at the bottom, with the MP10s up top causing the more disruptive/random flow?

I'm sure you've played with it plenty so you know better than I, but idk, it just seems like the higher areas could use the random flow so that you're not hitting the corals with random flow, but lots of random side blasts from the main MP10s when they are ramping up/down/random.

Unread 03/15/2016, 07:45 AM   #93
homer1475
Registered Member

Should get my lights hung today. I tried last night and I don't have a stud anywhere near where they need to hang, so I ended up just punching several holes in the sheetrock trying to find the stud. lol my wife wasn't happy. So some spackling to do today and went and got some toggle bolts to hold them up. I originally wanted to do 2 hangers, but found out the fixture is a little to heavy for only 2. It works but I'm a little afraid of them failing and the lights falling into the tank, so 4 Sun lifts it is.

I also want to cut up and splice the 4 light cords(2 per channel on each fixture) into only 2 cords to keep the rats nest of cords to a minimum. I may even just unsolder the wires from one outlet onto the other. I'll have to tear into them and see if thats feasible. If not, then its back to splicing another end onto 1 cord. Yes I know I can buy a split cord, but I'm to cheap!

Unread 03/15/2016, 07:47 AM   #94
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Since you have the lagoon with rock cover down low, would it be worth making the static hydor powerheads be at the bottom, with the MP10s up top causing the more disruptive/random flow?

I'm sure you've played with it plenty so you know better than I, but idk, it just seems like the higher areas could use the random flow so that you're not hitting the corals with random flow, but lots of random side blasts from the main MP10s when they are ramping up/down/random.

Good idea!

Never thought of reversing the placement. I'll play around with it once I get to that stage. My original thinking was more flow so it gets through the rocks, but who knows?

Unread 03/15/2016, 12:38 PM   #95
Justintegra
Registered Member

What are your water change plans for this tank? I am starting to consider a 90ish gallon + sump tank in the next year or so and am curious how much and how often are people with tanks these sizes changing. 10 gallons weekly? 20 gallons weekly?

I do 5 gallons weekly for my Biocube29 which is about 25%. That would translate to about 25 gallons weekly for a 100g system. I'm struggling to wrap my head around the logistics of that.

Justintegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2016, 12:41 PM   #96
soulpatch
Registered Member

I change roughly 30 -40 gallons in my tank weekly. It is a 150 so that is roughly 20-27% of display water volume.

Simply done is a brute can on wheels and a small pump.
Or if you have the space you can do a water change station like I have with a brute can and then a 35 gallon mixing tank.

Unread 03/15/2016, 01:08 PM   #97
homer1475
Registered Member

I'm thinking something like 25ish gallons every other week. One small bag of IORC is 25 gallons, so it'll be easy to measure out that amount. Probably going to do a brute on wheels with a spare mj1200 pump I'll have when I tear down the cube.

My sump volume is roughly 29G so I'll just use the spare pump to pump out each chamber, then pump in the new.

Unread 03/15/2016, 01:13 PM   #98
homer1475
Registered Member

Finally got my lights hung after some trial and error. My wife wasn't to happy with the extra holes in the ceiling, but I have them all patched up and I think it looks good enough.

Finally got them hung.

Lights ON and extra cables tied away.

Unread 03/15/2016, 01:34 PM   #99
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Looks good, and you kept the bowl!

The lights look good, let us know how you like them compared to the old puck over the biocube (shadowing, with and without your added side LEDs), color blend, etc).

Unread 03/15/2016, 02:22 PM   #100
homer1475
Registered Member

I can say they are way brighter for sure!. Without the apex hooked up their full blast or nothing, and they are super bright. The light bleed isn't as bad as I had thought it would be either. With each LED having its own lens, the light is concentrated downwards. I am glad I got 2 of them though, I can see how with the width of this tank I would have some horrible shadowing. Not seeing any shadowing as of right now.

I do notice that I don't have the shimmer I do with the puck. Not sure if its because the surface is barely moving, or it's the light itself. I'll be bale to tell better once I have it full(maybe tomorrow, fingers crossed).

I do think I need a bigger RO/DI unit, this 75gpd is going to kill me making water for water changes. takes roughly 2 1/2 hours to make 5G, so thats going to take roughly 12-13 hours to make water for a WC.