Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2016, 01:46 AM   #101
thirst
Registered Member

If I am already using kalkwasser on my top off, does this just mean I would end up dosing slightly less 1,2,3, and that it is okay to continue to use my kalkwasser?

So let's assume that without Kalkwasser, I would be dosing 150ml, but with Kalkwasser I'm only dosing 100ml, would that create a compromise in the micronutrient perspective?

thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 11:36 AM   #102
plyle02
Registered Member

Since the forumla is based on macro and micro elements, I would probably choose one or the other, if it were me. I am not sure how these would interact with one another and perhaps could cause interference. I am currently running a nano on kalk, and using some of the AF products, just as an experiment really. I have seen no problems with the way Pro Bio F and kalk interact, I am also using poweder food 2 times per week, Build, Aminomix, and Vitality. So far so good. If it were up to me, I would choose to ditch the kalk and go to the component system, I run it on my 120gallon tank and love it! Cheers

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 10:16 PM   #103
Diesel3443
AEFW Distructor

What is the strength of the the Ca and Alk? I want to keep using my diy mix but add in reef mineral salt for the 3rd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

125g In-wall SPS tank - Retired
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558111
Diesel3443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2016, 04:55 PM   #104
Diesel3443
AEFW Distructor

Anyone? I just want to get the balling going. I already have some reef mineral salt

Unread 06/01/2016, 05:32 PM   #105
plyle02
Registered Member

Diesel,
I am not sure of the exact strength, but I am currently using component system 123 and had to increase again today, I am currently doing 220ml per day on my 120 gallon sps reef. I was previously using 2 part from Seachem Reef Fusion. I was dosing less than half, around 80ml of the 2part per day. Now keep in mind, that when I did try BRS 2 part, I was about double of the Seachem Fusion. So it is not as concentrated as other 2 parts I have used, but the impact on the colors of my corals has been noticeable. I hope this helps a bit, the instructions for mixing are mentioned by Michael, as he currently mixes his own balling components. In this thread I think he gave instruction that came with the products. Cheers!

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
Unread 06/01/2016, 06:39 PM   #106
Diesel3443
AEFW Distructor

Hmm. Let me try and find it. I just want to make sure I am dosing the mineral salt in the balanced equation.

Unread 06/02/2016, 05:47 AM   #107
cham
Registered Member

I think Kalk is known for precipitating heavy metals while it's in solution in it's container. Since component 1,2,3 have such metals, if you're planning on continuing Kalk I'd make sure it's not being dosed at the same time in the same place in your sump.

Also, as I understand, AF 1,2,3 is designed to replace micro nutrients in the same ratio as the corals use KH & CA. If you're using a second source for the KH and CA you're not likely going to see the full benefit of the 1,2,3 micro's.

Current Tank Info: -SPS-120g Rimless Starfire, Garage sump/equip room with rimless frag tank, reefkeeper & Apex Jr, Reeflo Super Dart Gold return, ATI Powermodule, four Vortech MP40's, SRO XP3000 cone w/self cleaning head, two reefbrite LED, AF three part balling
cham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2016, 06:33 AM   #108
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cham View Post
I think Kalk is known for precipitating heavy metals while it's in solution in it's container. Since component 1,2,3 have such metals, if you're planning on continuing Kalk I'd make sure it's not being dosed at the same time in the same place in your sump.

Also, as I understand, AF 1,2,3 is designed to replace micro nutrients in the same ratio as the corals use KH & CA. If you're using a second source for the KH and CA you're not likely going to see the full benefit of the 1,2,3 micro's.
Nice point Charles!

Unread 06/02/2016, 07:58 AM   #109
Diesel3443
AEFW Distructor

Quote:

Agreed. I am planning on adding components strong and I also already dose Micro E and Coral E that contain some micros

Unread 06/02/2016, 10:17 PM   #110
westreef
Lost as usual

Quote:

Thanks Charles. it makes a lot of sense. I will remove kalk from my ATO water.

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator
westreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2016, 04:50 AM   #111
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel3443 View Post
Agreed. I am planning on adding components strong and I also already dose Micro E and Coral E that contain some micros
Diesel,
With use of Kalkwasser, I would suggest automating component abc. This would cover micro elements, while the kalk satisfies the macro elements. Personally, I would look into component 123 so that you have everything you need in 3 parts, this has been one of the best move I have made with my tank so far. Kind of like "set it and forget it" mentality

Unread 06/03/2016, 08:33 AM   #112
Diesel3443
AEFW Distructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Diesel,
With use of Kalkwasser, I would suggest automating component abc. This would cover micro elements, while the kalk satisfies the macro elements. Personally, I would look into component 123 so that you have everything you need in 3 parts, this has been one of the best move I have made with my tank so far. Kind of like "set it and forget it" mentality
I pulled the Kalk off recently, for some reason, my alk stays stable for a while, then jumps with it. I decided to move to 2 part. The only thing holding me back from the 1,2,3 is pricing. Diy two part is just too cheap, and I have a bunch of chemicals still left at home.

So right now, I am dosing CaCl , NaCO3, and Reef mineral salt.

I also am dosing

Micro E
Coral E
ProbioS (using vinegar for now, need to move to np Pro

Also running Zeo mix, Phos Minus, and Carbon

What would you suggest I add for micro elements I am missing?

Unread 06/12/2016, 03:56 PM   #113
M007
Acro Whore

As my ESV CA/ALK/MG are just about out I am planning on refilling with comp 1-2-3. Any suggestions on adjusting the daily dosing? I've used 1 bucket of AF reef salt and now working my way through a bucket of AF probiotic.

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2016, 02:27 AM   #114
Magem
Registered Member

Hi,
I am dosing 1,2,3 but I want to go for a cheaper option. I am thinking in buying Kh buffer, Ca, mineral salts and components strong to do it myself. However I want to do the same concentration as components 1,2,3 in order to keep stability. What amount of each part should I dose?
Thanks!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Magem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2016, 02:48 PM   #115
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M007 View Post
As my ESV CA/ALK/MG are just about out I am planning on refilling with comp 1-2-3. Any suggestions on adjusting the daily dosing? I've used 1 bucket of AF reef salt and now working my way through a bucket of AF probiotic.
Depending on your consumption rate, I would imagine you will need a bit more than ESV, so if you are currently dosing 50ml for example, I would start with 80ml and measure alk everyday at the same time to figure out consumption rate. As soon as you lock it in and know that the alk is holding steady from one day to the next, then that is your consumption rate to set the dosers. I currently use 220ml on my 120 gallon reef.
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magem View Post
Hi,
I am dosing 1,2,3 but I want to go for a cheaper option. I am thinking in buying Kh buffer, Ca, mineral salts and components strong to do it myself. However I want to do the same concentration as components 1,2,3 in order to keep stability. What amount of each part should I dose?

For DIY balling, you would need:
AF KH Buffer
AF Calcium
AF Magnesium
Reef Mineral Salt
Component Strong

This requires 3 vessels to be mixed in, then dosed to reef in equal parts.

The mixing directions are here:

CONTAINER 1:
Aquaforest Calcium - Dissolve 50g in 1000ml of deionized water
Aquaforest Magnesium - Add 10g
Component A Strong - Add 5ml
Component B Strong - Add 5ml

CONTAINER 2:
Aquaforest KH Buffer - Dissolve 80g in 1000ml of deionized water
Component C Strong - Add 5ml

CONTAINER 3:
Aquaforest Reef Mineral Salt - Dissolve 25g in 1000ml of deionized water
Component K Strong - Add 5ml

Unread 06/13/2016, 06:55 PM   #116
M007
Acro Whore

Thanks for the tip, it sounds like I'm in for lots of testing.

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2016, 06:37 AM   #117
Magem
Registered Member

Many thanks!!!

Magem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2016, 09:24 AM   #118
carlosmos
Registered Member

Any people use this option? I'm thinking to do it by myself next time

carlosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2016, 09:39 PM   #119
MichaelW
Registered Member

I use it. Its the same as the premixed stuff.

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2016, 09:00 AM   #120
Diesel3443
AEFW Distructor

What are the ppm levels of
Aquaforest Calcium - Dissolve 50g in 1000ml of deionized water
Aquaforest KH Buffer - Dissolve 80g in 1000ml of deionized water

Unread 06/21/2016, 01:17 PM   #121
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Quote:
Diesel,
I am not sure of the exact strength, but I am currently using component system 123 and had to increase again today, I am currently doing 220ml per day on my 120 gallon sps reef. I was previously using 2 part from Seachem Reef Fusion. I was dosing less than half, around 80ml of the 2part per day. Now keep in mind, that when I did try BRS 2 part, I was about double of the Seachem Fusion. So it is not as concentrated as other 2 parts I have used, but the impact on the colors of my corals has been noticeable. I hope this helps a bit, the instructions for mixing are mentioned by Michael, as he currently mixes his own balling components. In this thread I think he gave instruction that came with the products. Cheers!

Something doesn't make sense to me. In a 5l jug 220ml a day will only last 22 days. So that's 1050$ a year?

Cyberdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2016, 02:22 PM   #122
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdude View Post
Something doesn't make sense to me. In a 5l jug 220ml a day will only last 22 days. So that's 1050$ a year?
Yes, that is why I think I will eventually head in the direction of CARX Keep in mind that my tank has over 50 different acros, most are colonies too. So I do pull a heavy amount of the balling pre-mix. Cheers!

Unread 06/21/2016, 04:24 PM   #123
MichaelW
Registered Member

380ml per day here! It's why I don't get the premises stuff and mix my own with powders to cut back the cost a little. Haven't actually worked out how much it costs to make for example 5 gallons of each yourself to compare to the premixed but I'm sure it's less. Not sure I want to know the actual amount it's costing me per month. I might cry.

Unread 06/21/2016, 05:17 PM   #124
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
380ml per day here! It's why I don't get the premises stuff and mix my own with powders to cut back the cost a little. Haven't actually worked out how much it costs to make for example 5 gallons of each yourself to compare to the premixed but I'm sure it's less. Not sure I want to know the actual amount it's costing me per month. I might cry.
After seeing pics of your tank, the last thing I would do is cry, lol... The premix is amazing on my reef, and the lack of cost in trace is something that is under-addressed. Not having to buy several bottles of various trace formulas is so understated in both pre-mix and DIY mix. Cheers Michael!!!

Unread 06/21/2016, 11:29 PM   #125
MichaelW
Registered Member

Quote:
After seeing pics of your tank, the last thing I would do is cry, lol... The premix is amazing on my reef, and the lack of cost in trace is something that is under-addressed. Not having to buy several bottles of various trace formulas is so understated in both pre-mix and DIY mix. Cheers Michael!!!
Completely agree. Its great not having to dose any other trace for anything and knowing that as it's linked to consumption you shouldn't really be over dosing (or under dosing) anything.