Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/12/2016, 10:16 AM   #26
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVan82 View Post
One of Valdostas' few redeeming qualities!
You also sell 40s! FL tops out malted beverages at 32oz.

Sounds good with the water changes. Excited to see it come together. Any plan for stocking? If you ever want/need to take a drive for an LFS, Tallahassee has an excellent LFS, as well as a surprisingly vibrant reef aquarium community.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2016, 10:22 AM   #27
JVan82
Registered Member

Just looking at doing 2 snowflake clowns, and LPS corals.
I went to siminole aquarium a few weeks ago, they said they were getting back into salt water. Wasn't overly impressed. Would like to recommendations if you have any.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JVan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2016, 11:01 AM   #28
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Never heard of Seminole Aquarium. While festive for Tallahassee, doesn't sound like the right place. What you need to check out is High Tide Aquariums out on Capital Circle east. I used to be friendly with the owner Scott, and he's an avid SPS keeper, and he's close with all of the other avid aquarists in town. Other than that, the other stores were generally meh. Even petco carries ORA corals and fishes these days, which is amazing, so.... ehhh..... Just QT everything you get.

Also, I'm sure Scott can special order anything you need from the wholesalers. I bet he still drives out to Jacksonville in his pickup to pick up orders straight off the tarmac.

Unread 09/12/2016, 11:44 AM   #29
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Never heard of Seminole Aquarium. While festive for Tallahassee, doesn't sound like the right place. What you need to check out is High Tide Aquariums out on Capital Circle east. I used to be friendly with the owner Scott, and he's an avid SPS keeper, and he's close with all of the other avid aquarists in town. Other than that, the other stores were generally meh. Even petco carries ORA corals and fishes these days, which is amazing, so.... ehhh..... Just QT everything you get.

Also, I'm sure Scott can special order anything you need from the wholesalers. I bet he still drives out to Jacksonville in his pickup to pick up orders straight off the tarmac.
Yeah I wasn't impressed with them, algae all over their frags, but I will definitely check out high tide for sure thank you. I have the QT tank up and running already, broke the clips on the heater that came with the tank... neotherm gets here tomorrow.
How long after fish go in the DT, is a safe bet to add corals?

Unread 09/12/2016, 11:53 AM   #30
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah I wasn't impressed with them, algae all over their frags, but I will definitely check out high tide for sure thank you. I have the QT tank up and running already, broke the clips on the heater that came with the tank... neotherm gets here tomorrow.
How long after fish go in the DT, is a safe bet to add corals?
Corals can go in once the tank is stabilized. I'd consider adding them either before fishes, or maybe 2 weeks after fishes, depending on whether the fishes being added kick off another mini-cycle.

Remember, you can still get diseases from corals, both coral and fish diseases. It's usually recommended to dip and/or quarantine corals. I dip some corals before adding them to my tank.

Unread 09/12/2016, 11:57 AM   #31
JVan82
Registered Member

I'm gonna do the Bayer dip and fine inspect. If they have issues I'll but them in the fish QT tank, only because currently it's brand new, so no copper. I will in due time get a second QT tank. But the fish will be in QT for 4 weeks so if I wait 2 weeks after that it'll be 6. CuC arrives this week, shipped from reefcleaners today. Hope they can help with slowly introduce a bioload, before fish go in. Patients isn't my strongsuit. But I need a hobby to keep myself busy....

Unread 09/12/2016, 12:01 PM   #32
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Yea, CuC will be enough to keep the bioload going. Keep an eye on everything. I do a bayer dip and fine inspection on my corals too. It's not "the best" but it's probably good enough, assuming you know what you're looking for, and also know that bayer doesn't work for everything (flatworms come to mind).

Unread 09/12/2016, 12:20 PM   #33
JVan82
Registered Member

I know enough to know I know nothing... if I see anything that doesn't look like it belongs I'll be posting it here for verification...

Thanks again for all the help.

Unread 09/20/2016, 03:14 PM   #34
JVan82
Registered Member

Update time, so the CuC has been in 2 weeks tomorrow, haven't made much of a dent, but least they won't starve to death anytime soon either.

Water parameters:
Salinity: 1.0245
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Calcium: 460
KH: 9
Phosphate: 0
pH: 8.21
Temp: 79.5

Unread 10/08/2016, 07:40 AM   #35
JVan82
Registered Member

Quick update and question, so things are going well, water test are done every other day, or every third day. Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates are at 0. Tested calcium a few times and it's 440-460, phosphates are also at 0. So last Sunday did a weekly water change, 4 gallons, I blew a lot of the algae off the rocks, wed-thursday I added an mp10 and I've noticed that the algae isn't returning at all. Good yes, but I worry my CuC will starve now. So what can I feed then, without risking restarting a cycle?

Also had this lil guy in the QT for 2 weeks now. 2 down 2 to go!

Unread 10/08/2016, 10:04 AM   #36
DavidGraves
Registered Member

Feed the cuc nori or sinking fish food they will eat anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidGraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2016, 05:20 PM   #37
JVan82
Registered Member

Sweet thanks David.

Unread 10/24/2016, 09:10 PM   #38
BigBearMD
Registered Member

Well I'm about two months behind you. I set up the biocube 32 four days ago. What do people think of the Dr. Tim's bacteria and ammonia quick cycle method?

BigBearMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2016, 05:39 AM   #39
JVan82
Registered Member

Most everyone as of late, uses some form of bacteria and ammonia or piece of shrimp to start the cycle, instead of cycling using an live fish. I used 2 different types and my cycle was still at about 20 days, just added first fish, last Thursday. guess I need an update post later today.

Unread 11/03/2016, 05:56 PM   #40
JVan82
Registered Member

So quick update, so far water parameter have been constant at 0 for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, and phosphate. Calcium has been 440-460, not surprising without any corals.
After a 4 week quarantine, my snowflake clown was added on 20 Oct. The CuC is still there doing their thing, lost 2 snails, one small and one big on... not sure why or which snails they were. Both were on the glass 1 day and laying in the sand the next...

Unread 11/06/2016, 08:41 AM   #41
JVan82
Registered Member

Picked these guys up yesterday, anyone know what kinds of Zoas, the 2 left ones are? The one on the right is a Rasta. No idea what the other 2 are.

Unread 11/06/2016, 10:10 AM   #42
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:

Thank you Reefwreak, for recommending High Tide Aquarium, place is beyond awesome. Price are awesome as is the owner. Thanks again I owe you!

Unread 11/06/2016, 12:34 PM   #43
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I'm really glad to hear that. Scott was always a great guy (the owner, at least when I was there), and knew his stuff. And that was 10 years ago. I'm glad the store has only gotten better. Sorry I don't know Zoa IDs, but they look nice either way!

Unread 11/07/2016, 10:03 PM   #44
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you Reefwreak, for recommending High Tide Aquarium, place is beyond awesome. Price are awesome as is the owner. Thanks again I owe you!

Thank you sir!

Unread 11/07/2016, 10:04 PM   #45
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm really glad to hear that. Scott was always a great guy (the owner, at least when I was there), and knew his stuff. And that was 10 years ago. I'm glad the store has only gotten better. Sorry I don't know Zoa IDs, but they look nice either way!
Than you sir!

Unread 12/31/2016, 12:24 PM   #46
JVan82
Registered Member

Just a quick update. Just received this in the mail today!!!

Unread 12/31/2016, 12:32 PM   #47
lolsubii
Registered Member

Tank looks awesome and I love the cleaning mat also btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lolsubii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2016, 12:32 PM   #48
JVan82
Registered Member

Thanks!

Unread 01/01/2017, 08:07 AM   #49
Smoke Inator
Registered Member

got mine yesterday as well, i'm using a reactor so mine will be a fuge basket with ff on top

Smoke Inator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2017, 08:35 AM   #50
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Inator View Post
got mine yesterday as well, i'm using a reactor so mine will be a fuge basket with ff on top
What reactor u running? Gfo or carbon?