Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2016, 01:26 AM   #1
Potatohead
Registered Member

Eshopps 4th Gen Skimmers

Seeing as these have been out for only a few days, I'm assuming nobody has any feedback on them yet?

Looking at upgrading my third gen PSK100 basically to get some more room in the sump. To me the Axium mid-line basically seems like an IceCap K2 for 30% less money. Same gate valve design, same pump... Very similar. Comparing the Axium to the premium S-line it seems the only real difference is the body shape, bubble plate and the twist off bottom, which actually seems like it might become a PITA if it ever gets stuck or jammed with goop. It may or may not be made of better acrylic, I can't find any info on that online.

http://www.eshopps.com/products/proteinskimmer/

Thoughts?

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2016, 01:47 AM   #2
windlasher
Registered Member

Well they are pretty.

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2016, 03:35 AM   #3
Potatohead
Registered Member

The 1:04 mark in this video is pretty crazy

https://youtu.be/dNT9_-hOH04

Unread 01/02/2017, 02:55 AM   #4
Potatohead
Registered Member

So I pulled the trigger on the S-120. I spent the last two days trying to figure out why I should order a Nyos instead, but there are a couple reasons why I prefer the Eshopps not even including the substantial savings. I will update the thread when I get it broken in and skimming away.

Unread 01/02/2017, 12:27 PM   #5
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

I own the old S-120 and it rocks. Cant immagine how great the new one must be! Please keep us posted!

Unread 01/02/2017, 01:52 PM   #6
zooman72
Registered Member

Yeah, I too have a first gen S-120, and it is a very good skimmer, so the new one should be just as good or better. I do question how much better the new S-120 will be in comparison to the new Axium X-120, since they use the same pump? Not sure the added features of the S-120 are now worth it, but to fair, I wouldn't know if I didn't have them in use side-by-side.

Not going to happen any time soon as my original S-120 and three Bubble Magus Curve 5's are still going strong without issue. However, if I ever replace the Curve 5's, it would probably be with the X-120's unless reports come out that the S-120 is just that much better...

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2017, 03:56 PM   #7
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooman72 View Post
Yeah, I too have a first gen S-120, and it is a very good skimmer, so the new one should be just as good or better. I do question how much better the new S-120 will be in comparison to the new Axium X-120, since they use the same pump? Not sure the added features of the S-120 are now worth it, but to fair, I wouldn't know if I didn't have them in use side-by-side.

Not going to happen any time soon as my original S-120 and three Bubble Magus Curve 5's are still going strong without issue. However, if I ever replace the Curve 5's, it would probably be with the X-120's unless reports come out that the S-120 is just that much better...
I don't necessarily disagree. The S series has a few nice features but in terms of actual performance I doubt it's much different. It should theoretically be better with the different bubble plate but it's probably hard to actually measure. I went with the S mainly because it was $80 more but still a steal compared to some others I had been considering, and I am not going to lie, I want to watch that awesome bubble spinning spiral going on in my sump!! Lol. I do actually prefer the look of the Axium series. I really like that they have gone to a gate valve rather than the wedge pipe, takes up even less space and shouldn't be quite so finicky to adjust.

Unread 01/02/2017, 04:15 PM   #8
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
I don't necessarily disagree. The S series has a few nice features but in terms of actual performance I doubt it's much different. It should theoretically be better with the different bubble plate but it's probably hard to actually measure. I went with the S mainly because it was $80 more but still a steal compared to some others I had been considering, and I am not going to lie, I want to watch that awesome bubble spinning spiral going on in my sump!! Lol. I do actually prefer the look of the Axium series. I really like that they have gone to a gate valve rather than the wedge pipe, takes up even less space and shouldn't be quite so finicky to adjust.
Funny, I was thinking I like the blue acrylic of the S-series better then the purple of the Axiums!

You are right about the newer gate valve though too, especially with regards to space...

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2017, 07:18 PM   #9
robsk
Registered Member

Went back and forth on a icecap k2-120 and the new eshopps mid line. Got the axium x-120. Sweet looking skimmer. Replacing a sca301. Time will tell, but 3 hours in and I'm already getting some foam. Very pleased so far.

robsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2017, 07:43 PM   #10
robsk
Registered Member

Producing foam in a few hours and already has less micro bubbles than my other skimmer.

Unread 01/10/2017, 10:54 PM   #11
Potatohead
Registered Member

Here's why I switched;

Seriously it's like half the size but three times the collection cup volume . I've had it running about an hour, it's crazy quiet, I thought the old one was quiet but I guess because it had an external pump this thing seems to make zero noise. I have it in almost the deepest water recommended (right at the top of the S-120 logo, about 8.75") and it's still going to skim dry with a little room to spare. With the gate wide open the internal water level is about an inch below the cup seat which is a little lower than you'd really want. Pretty happy thus far.

Unread 01/11/2017, 11:26 AM   #12
joecc
Registered Member

Does anyone know if the Eshopps models use a stock sicce pump/impeller or is it modified?

I know the Icecap K2's supposedly use the stock set up, according to Coralvue.

joecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 11:51 AM   #13
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecc View Post
Does anyone know if the Eshopps models use a stock sicce pump/impeller or is it modified?

I know the Icecap K2's supposedly use the stock set up, according to Coralvue.
Stock

I believe the only people using customer impellers are Aquamaxx and Vertex.

Unread 01/11/2017, 02:24 PM   #14
Str8Down
Registered Member

Looks just like the SCA-302. What's the difference?

Str8Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 03:22 PM   #15
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Down View Post
Looks just like the SCA-302. What's the difference?
Most cone skimmers look pretty similar, it's kinda like asking what's the difference between cars because they have four wheels and headlights

Unread 01/11/2017, 11:16 PM   #16
gus6464
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
Here's why I switched;

Seriously it's like half the size but three times the collection cup volume . I've had it running about an hour, it's crazy quiet, I thought the old one was quiet but I guess because it had an external pump this thing seems to make zero noise. I have it in almost the deepest water recommended (right at the top of the S-120 logo, about 8.75") and it's still going to skim dry with a little room to spare. With the gate wide open the internal water level is about an inch below the cup seat which is a little lower than you'd really want. Pretty happy thus far.
How is it to take off the collection cup? Is it twist off?

gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 10:36 PM   #17
robsk
Registered Member

Quick update on the eshopps axium x120. I know there's not a lot of info out there yet. This thing has been awesome for me. Replaced a sca301 and it can't be compared. I had darker skim mate in 48 hours than I ever got with my sca. To be fair, that skimmer had over a year on it.
I actually cleaned the eshopps cup out two evenings ago because I cleaned out a filter sock. So clean cup on Tuesday night. This is tonight (2nd cup) and still less than a week on this skimmer:

Unread 01/13/2017, 01:02 AM   #18
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
How is it to take off the collection cup? Is it twist off?
No, just friction fit o-ring (which I prefer)

Unread 01/13/2017, 07:36 PM   #19
PilotMaximus
Registered Member

Glad to see a thread going on these. I'm literally just finishing my 180 Build and I was real curious about these skimmers. Just not positive on what size to Axium to buy. What the Manufacture suggests based on tank size and Bioload the community or some shops like a BRS always have very different recommendations on most skimmers. With these being new I haven't seen the "real world" suggestions yet. Or do Eshopps Skimmer actually go by what Eshopps says? How is Bioload quantified or standardized BTW? I'm asking half joking half serious.

PilotMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 09:08 PM   #20
BryanS4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMaximus View Post
Glad to see a thread going on these. I'm literally just finishing my 180 Build and I was real curious about these skimmers. Just not positive on what size to Axium to buy. What the Manufacture suggests based on tank size and Bioload the community or some shops like a BRS always have very different recommendations on most skimmers. With these being new I haven't seen the "real world" suggestions yet. Or do Eshopps Skimmer actually go by what Eshopps says? How is Bioload quantified or standardized BTW? I'm asking half joking half serious.
I was looking a these as well for a new build, but found a great deal on a 3rrd Gen S-300.

I might pick up an Axium x120 for my frag tank though.

BryanS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 07:34 AM   #21
robsk
Registered Member

Quote:
I have my x-120 in about 60 gallons. I feel like it could handle another 30 or 40. The bio load specs on paper are interesting when comparing the x120 to the s120. In the 120 series, the x actually has a higher capacity on a heavy bio load. Same pump, different body. Maybe the wine shape vs. the true cone can handle a little more.

I feel like the specs are pretty close for my x120. One of the other things I did in my research was to compare barrel size and sicce pump size to other manufacturers and their ratings.

How manufacturers come up with those specs, I have no idea. I'd like to think they actually test them...lol.

Unread 01/14/2017, 08:17 AM   #22
ksicard
Registered Member

I might pick-up a x-160 for my 120. Anyone have any feedback on how a x-160 would do a well stocked 120?

ksicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 01:18 AM   #23
Potatohead
Registered Member

After having the skimmer a few days my only complaint is the air intake is still maybe a bit louder than I would like. I didn't notice that before so I guess I am nit-picking. It kind of makes a hollow sound - I stuck a 4" long piece of airline tubing into the hole and it's about 80% quieter. Also the skimmer pulled 1/4 cup of junk so fast and now it has been idling for a day, lol.

Quote:
I would go with S-200

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsk View Post
I have my x-120 in about 60 gallons. I feel like it could handle another 30 or 40. The bio load specs on paper are interesting when comparing the x120 to the s120. In the 120 series, the x actually has a higher capacity on a heavy bio load. Same pump, different body. Maybe the wine shape vs. the true cone can handle a little more.

I feel like the specs are pretty close for my x120. One of the other things I did in my research was to compare barrel size and sicce pump size to other manufacturers and their ratings.

How manufacturers come up with those specs, I have no idea. I'd like to think they actually test them...lol.

I found that interesting too. I actually think it's a typo because the X-120 tank ratings on Eshopps site is 40 - 120 which is the same as the S-120, but who knows. The Axium does seem to have a bigger body in overall volume which might make the difference. The larger Axiums are rated to larger tank sizes than the S's but they are also numbered larger... But they use the same pumps so there is probably something to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksicard View Post
I might pick-up a x-160 for my 120. Anyone have any feedback on how a x-160 would do a well stocked 120?
Would be a great fit IMO.

Unread 01/15/2017, 04:37 AM   #24
PilotMaximus
Registered Member

Yeah I shooting for the x 220 for my 180. Still curious why all the manufacture suggestion numbers for most skimmers are so far off what the real world suggest. and usually by the whole next model number up. Just more reefing wizardry.

PilotMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 01:28 AM   #25
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah I shooting for the x 220 for my 180. Still curious why all the manufacture suggestion numbers for most skimmers are so far off what the real world suggest. and usually by the whole next model number up. Just more reefing wizardry.
I'm not convinced we need as much skimmer as some people think. If the manufacturers rated skimmers the way the hobby seems to, people would be buying more expensive skimmers, so there must be something to the way they rate them.