Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Reef Breeders LEDs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/04/2017, 05:46 PM   #1
twood68
Registered Member

Which Aquasanrise For 72" long 125g

I have a 72" long 125g tank and am interested in Aquasanrise fixtures for it, but am not sure which model would work the best. Would two R60s be enough? Or would I be better off with two Aqua Helios R90s?

twood68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2017, 04:46 AM   #2
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

In my opinion it depends on what's in your tank and your budget situation?

With two 22" fixtures you end up with 28" of open space, that's 7" off each end of each fixture (a 14" gap in the middle and 7" off each end of the tank). If you aren't doing a lot of sps corals or clams, or aren't doing corals at the very ends of the tank, the R60's should be enough. And it could very well be enough even for end to end sps... (I have Photon V2's not the Aqua series). The website says they cover 36".

But if you are doing a lot of sps corals, the R90's would give you 50% more leds and a big overlap of light in the middle of the tank. You wouldn't have any issues ever with not having enough PAR end to end.

However, the difference between $900 and $1200 is a lot of money to spend if you don't really need the extra intensity. It's kind of a budget and what's in your tank decision.

And just to make matters more fun, if budget is an issue and you do have some sps (but not most of the tank), have you considered two of the 32" Photon V2's? It's the same number of leds as the R90 but you'd save $200. Just something to think about.

I have the Photon V2 and I love it. But I was unaware of the advantages of the Aqua fixtures or I would have bought them. But two 22" would have covered my 60" tank better and budget isn't a serious consideration for me. But I do want value for my money, so other more expensive brands that cost more but don't really offer anything extra weren't even in the decision mix.

I guess I really cleared that decision up for you didn't I? I guess if the $300 difference is important, get the R60's and you'll be good to go. If the budget is less of an issue and you have a lot of sps, the R90's would be insurance that you have way more than enough light.

Old 07/05/2017, 09:51 AM   #3
twood68
Registered Member

Thanks Ron. I am now thinking 3 R60s would be better. Its a bit more than I wanted to spend, but if I am going to buy new lights, I want to do it right. I can't afford 3 $800 Radions though. To me, those things are extremely overpriced. I don't need a bunch of fancy features either. Just quality LEDs that will grow coral. I don't have a lot of SPS. Mostly softies and LPS. So I don't need a lot of high intensity light. I currently have 3 cheapo black box LED fixtures that work pretty well. My issue is that I cannot turn down the intensity of the whites far enough. I am hoping the Aquasanrise might be able to go to a lower setting.

I have looked at the Photon V2 and am trying to decide which one is best for me. I am partial to the Aquasanrise because I have their nano light on my 12g and it is doing really well. In fact, I have moved several zoa frags from my 125g to my 12g because the black box lights on the 125g were too intense for them. They are thriving in the 12g.

Old 07/05/2017, 09:35 PM   #4
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Hey,

2 of the R60 would do a wonderful job on a mixed reef tank! The do a fantastic job covering 36" (I am sure one of the many customers of ours with a Photon 24-V2 or R60 on a 40breeder or similar would agree).

And- you can always add a third if you want more light later down the road, shipping is free so there is no need to go with all 3 all at once!

Reef Breeders LLC
Reef_Breeders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2017, 09:35 PM   #5
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Oh, and the app is virtually the same as the one the nano lights use- it should be very familiar to you. If you hook them up in STA mode to your router, you can program both lights, at once, or separately, depending on how you toggle the app.

Reef Breeders LLC
Old 07/06/2017, 03:17 AM   #6
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood68 View Post
Thanks Ron. I am now thinking 3 R60s would be better. Its a bit more than I wanted to spend, but if I am going to buy new lights, I want to do it right. I can't afford 3 $800 Radions though. To me, those things are extremely overpriced. I don't need a bunch of fancy features either. Just quality LEDs that will grow coral.
I agree with Logan. If he says 2 will do the job, odds are heavy in favor of them doing the job. And like he said, you can always add a 3rd one later if you really feel the need.

I agree with the not needing over priced Radions. And the R60's or the V2's can do 90% of the features the Radion can do. The extra 10% is actually just a waste of time and money. Six channel color control and sunrise/sunset control is what I want and Reef Breeders gives it to me for roughly half the cost of Radions.

Old 07/07/2017, 02:38 PM   #7
twood68
Registered Member

Thanks guys.

Logan,

Do you think two R90s would be too much? I don't want shadows and dark areas.

Old 07/07/2017, 02:47 PM   #8
twood68
Registered Member

Also, I will be mounting these about 7 inches above the water due to the height of my canopy.

Old 07/19/2017, 06:41 PM   #9
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood68 View Post
Thanks guys.

Logan,

Do you think two R90s would be too much? I don't want shadows and dark areas.
As with most LEDs, they dim as low as 1%, so it is perfectly okay to have more power than needed, all you have to do is program the lights to suit.

7" is plenty of height, and about what you will get with the included mounting legs.

Reef Breeders LLC