Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/16/2017, 10:01 PM   #351
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Official Royal Exclusiv Dream Box Owners Thread.

I have a design suggestion for the dream boxes. The LED lights on these irritate me every time I see them which is why I didn't put them in my sump. The fact that the first filter sock row isn't lit up looks really cheesy to me. My suggestion would be to mount the light bar on the front wall of the sump which gives you access from coast to coast of the sump to light it all up. If you want the wires to come out of the back then make holders along the edge that hold the wires just under the lip until you can poke it out through one of the cutouts in the back.

Every time I see one the way they are now it looks like a strip with some burned out lights to the left. No offense to the owner of the dreambox but this design flaw needs to be corrected by RE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 07/16/2017, 10:14 PM   #352
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Thanks Slief. I've seen videos of your tank and all the automation and redundancy you have going on. It is impessive as heck. You can't change that!

ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2017, 10:30 PM   #353
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post
I have a design suggestion for the dream boxes. The LED lights on these irritate me every time I see them which is why I didn't put them in my sump. The fact that the first filter sock row isn't lit up looks really cheesy to me. My suggestion would be to mount the light bar on the front wall of the sump which gives you access from coast to coast of the sump to light it all up. If you want the wires to come out of the back then make holders along the edge that hold the wires just under the lip until you can poke it out through one of the cutouts in the back.

Every time I see one the way they are now it looks like a strip with some burned out lights to the left. No offense to the owner of the dreambox but this design flaw needs to be corrected by RE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The LED strip is removable and slides out through a hole in the side. It runs though a clear tube along the back edge of the box. While having it under the lip along the front would be a possibility, given the light is removable so it can be replaced, having the wires poking out the side near the front of the box would be an issue. Not only would it be unsightly to have the wires coming out so close to the front of the box, there are options on the dreambox such as the level sensors currently sold in the European market that mount along the forward most part on the right side which is exactly where the lightly wire connections would come out of. That would interfere with the light placement if it were along the front instead of along the back.

The Dreamboxe 1's have the entire front as transparent. In that case, the back would be the only place to place the light assembly and the sock compartments are illuminated. Since every panel on these are CNC cut and the programs are used across multiple dreamboxes, keeping the sides on them the same across multiple sized dreamboxes makes things easier to manage from a production standpoint. Thus, placing the light tube along the upper front edge would make no sense.

That said, I understand what you are saying about the first sock compartment not being illuminated but if you have seen one of these in person with the internal lighting, it really does work out well and you don't even think twice about it. In the case of the photos above, you only notice it when looking down from the top. Looking at it straight on like most poeple do, it's not noticeable and looks great. You really need to see one with the lights in person to appreciate it. For the cost of the option, I think it's well worth it but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Personally, I wouldn't order one without the lights but I've seen enough Dreamboxes in different sizes in person with the lighting to know that it's an option that I really appreciate.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 07/16/2017 at 10:38 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 06:01 PM   #354
docwells
Registered Member

Can anyone tell me what the sizes of the drain pipes are on the dreambox? I see there are 4 drain pipes. I have two 1 inch drains and was trying to figure how to plumb it.

Also what is the size of the union on the dreambox on the return pump side? Again trying to figure out my plumbing and supplies that need to be ordered

Current Tank Info: 69 gallon AGE rimless starphire tank in progress...
docwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 06:12 PM   #355
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells View Post
Can anyone tell me what the sizes of the drain pipes are on the dreambox? I see there are 4 drain pipes. I have two 1 inch drains and was trying to figure how to plumb it.

Also what is the size of the union on the dreambox on the return pump side? Again trying to figure out my plumbing and supplies that need to be ordered
Depending on which dreambox you choose and if it's being made in germany, you can request specific sizes.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 06:16 PM   #356
docwells
Registered Member

I'm looking at a nanodreambox at the Florida store, so no option to customize drain

Unread 07/20/2017, 06:25 PM   #357
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Which nano are you thinking of? Mine is posted with pics and measures 100x50cm. Is that the one?

Unread 07/20/2017, 09:17 PM   #358
slief
RC Sponsor

I believe the Nono's we have in stock have one 40mm, two 32 mm and a 25mm. It does depend on the dreambox though.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 07/21/2017, 06:44 AM   #359
docwells
Registered Member

The Dreambox I am looking at is the nano that measures 60 x 40 x35cm

Unread 07/21/2017, 07:58 AM   #360
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
The Dreambox I am looking at is the nano that measures 60 x 40 x35cm
I think those are the correct inlets and outlets then. That said, we don't have that in US stock. There may be more in route from Germany but we have not got the final list of what's on those pallets.

Unread 07/21/2017, 08:58 AM   #361
docwells
Registered Member

Slief,

Did that size nanodreambox get sold? I have been talking to Cristina about one that is in Florida.

Unread 07/21/2017, 11:56 AM   #362
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Slief,

Did that size nanodreambox get sold? I have been talking to Cristina about one that is in Florida.
My bad. Was thinking of the 60x49. I am pretty sure there is a 60x40 in stock.

Unread 07/21/2017, 04:34 PM   #363
Koestby86
Registered Member

I have a issue with a object in the compartment where the pipes drain into.. Dont know if its a snail house or something else but it makes a annoying sound when it gets moved around because of the flow going in.. Any idea of how i could possibly get it out ? Both the bigger drains are piped and glued. I just wish I found out before i piped the tank :/

Koestby86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2017, 06:44 PM   #364
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koestby86 View Post
I have a issue with a object in the compartment where the pipes drain into.. Dont know if its a snail house or something else but it makes a annoying sound when it gets moved around because of the flow going in.. Any idea of how i could possibly get it out ? Both the bigger drains are piped and glued. I just wish I found out before i piped the tank :/
Since it's full, it's kind of tough. If it's possible to pull the dreambox out and tip it on it's side, you can probably get out out where the water overflows into the socks. If you have access to one of the drain intakes either because one isn't used or if you are using unions, you can use a "flexible claw pick up tool" to fish it out from the drain intake pipe. Given the buoyancy of objects in the water, I am a bit surprised you can hear it in there though.

This is a claw pickup tool. Given the direction of the flow of water, you may even be able to get it by snaking one of these through the side of the box where the water flows into the socks. These are cheap and readily available online. This would likely be my first course of action.

Unread 07/21/2017, 08:06 PM   #365
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Did you get the lids cut yet? Wanted to see how they turned out. I am thinking about ordering a Dreambox and will need to have my lids cut also.
Here are the finished lids. Total cost $67. I took Slief's advice and added an extra centimeter all around to insure no binding (there is none).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lidsfile-5.jpg (35.5 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg Lidsfile-1.jpg (53.6 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Lidsfile-4.jpg (31.3 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Lids2file1.jpg (39.4 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg Lids2file-1.jpg (39.9 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by ReefKeeper64; 07/21/2017 at 09:06 PM.
Unread 07/21/2017, 08:18 PM   #366
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
Here are the finished lids. Total cost $67. I took Slief's advice and added an extra centimeter all around to insure no binding (these is none).

Very nice! Those lids turned out absolutely perfect!

For those of you considering one of the empty dreamboxes, this is a perfect example of how it turns out. Make your template and take the lids to an acrylic shop or plastic fabricator to have the cut made using the template as a reference. Many cabinet shops can do to it too. It really insn't a big deal.

Unread 07/24/2017, 04:53 AM   #367
docwells
Registered Member

Thanks for the help on the drain size.

Does anyone know the size of the union on the return pump side? Need to get my plumbing supplies together. I got my nanodreambox ordered.

Unread 07/25/2017, 11:41 AM   #368
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the help on the drain size.

Does anyone know the size of the union on the return pump side? Need to get my plumbing supplies together. I got my nanodreambox ordered.
Sorry for the late reply. Should be a 1" output on the busing for your new dreambox.

Unread 07/25/2017, 05:19 PM   #369
docwells
Registered Member

Thanks for the information. My new dreambox is in route from Florida.

Unread 07/25/2017, 07:22 PM   #370
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Congrats and welcome to the club!

Unread 07/25/2017, 07:28 PM   #371
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Congrats!! You're going to love the dreambox.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 04:59 AM   #372
docwells
Registered Member

Quote:
Congrats and welcome to the club!
Thanks. I can't wait to get it and get it installed. Trying to collect my plumbing supplies now.

Reefkeeper64, I need to get with you on your lids. I saw your templates. Do you have any more measurements that I can use to place my cut out in place like a measurement from edge to center point of the main cut out circle. And what skimmer are you using?

Unread 07/26/2017, 08:47 AM   #373
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Thanks. I can't wait to get it and get it installed. Trying to collect my plumbing supplies now.

Reefkeeper64, I need to get with you on your lids. I saw your templates. Do you have any more measurements that I can use to place my cut out in place like a measurement from edge to center point of the main cut out circle. And what skimmer are you using?
I'm using a Royal Exclusive Bubble King 180.

To start, I took the skimmer out of the dreambox, removed the skimmer cup, and then took a top down picture of the skimmer. Then I emailed the picture to my computer. I then used snagit to enlarge/reduce the photo to scale so that my printout would approximately match the actual length and width of the top down dimensions of the skimmer. I had to make a few printouts before I got this about right. Now I have a nice template to work with.

Next, I cut out the template and taped it to the cardboard cutout of the two lids. I would just make one cardboard cutout representing both the left and the right lids. Then I measured 2cm all around the skimmer cutout to provide clearance for lid removal.

You can tell from the pictures that I wanted my skimmer positioned over to the left so that I can see and access the DC skimmer controller easily. It also made some extra room in that compartment. You can center it just as well but this is what I did.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Unread 07/27/2017, 05:11 AM   #374
docwells
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm using a Royal Exclusive Bubble King 180.

To start, I took the skimmer out of the dreambox, removed the skimmer cup, and then took a top down picture of the skimmer. Then I emailed the picture to my computer. I then used snagit to enlarge/reduce the photo to scale so that my printout would approximately match the actual length and width of the top down dimensions of the skimmer. I had to make a few printouts before I got this about right. Now I have a nice template to work with.

Next, I cut out the template and taped it to the cardboard cutout of the two lids. I would just make one cardboard cutout representing both the left and the right lids. Then I measured 2cm all around the skimmer cutout to provide clearance for lid removal.

You can tell from the pictures that I wanted my skimmer positioned over to the left so that I can see and access the DC skimmer controller easily. It also made some extra room in that compartment. You can center it just as well but this is what I did.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the help. That information was very helpful. I hope to work on it next week. I hope to install dreambox this weekend

Unread 07/29/2017, 10:02 AM   #375
docwells
Registered Member

Just got my dreambox yesterday. It is awesome. Very well built.

I do have one issue. The LED lights will not come on. I've tried it in multiple outlets in my house, checked the connections, pressed the on/off switch on the remote multiple times and made sure the battery in the remote was installed correctly. Any other suggestions that I can try?