Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2017, 09:51 PM   #426
taricha
Registered Member

Wow, pod eating a nematode, then defecating it 20 min later?
That's a high clearance rate, and probably means they digest only a small amount of what they ingest.

Jason, when you see active bacteria in motion, about how big is it? A couple of microns? (I'm wondering if some stuff I'm seeing could be bacteria.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 10:09 PM   #427
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
That's a high clearance rate, and probably means they digest only a small amount of what they ingest.

Jason, when you see active bacteria in motion, about how big is it? A couple of microns? (I'm wondering if some stuff I'm seeing could be bacteria.)

Depends on the bacteria. The coccus type maybe 1-5 microns. Some thinner but longer like one of my favorite to find and watch are what I think are spirochete types. They are very energetic. I'd say barely a micron width but length could easily exceed 5-10 microns. Then of course there's the giants like cyanobacteria which is a big chain of them.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 10:53 PM   #428
jason2459
Registered Member

Got the 20x in and really like the combination of objectives I have now. The 20x is a good step between from 10x to 40x and I just don't use the 4x.

10x, 20x, 40x, 60x spring/dry , 100x spring/dry

The 20x is also a plan phase objective and seems to work fine with out the phase slider or turret. Even with dark field.

I still need a lot more practice. I still believe I can get better images. This scope has a lot more to it then my previous one that's for sure and I still haven't even gotten into the software features yet.

I played around with different setting and with the darkfield getting different effects. All with playing with the microscope, filters, and exposure times. I still haven't had to touch the contrast settings. This microscope thankfully is very bright. Much brighter then the omax. Even though both are supposed to be 3watt leds.

Found a small bit of cyano over a pump and took a sample for tonight. Images are uploading

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 08/04/2017, 11:02 PM   #429
jason2459
Registered Member

Click on links for full res images

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0001 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0007 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0011 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0014 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0019 by Jason, on Flickr

Unread 08/04/2017, 11:03 PM   #430
jason2459
Registered Member

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0021 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0025 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0026 by Jason, on Flickr

Unread 08/04/2017, 11:12 PM   #431
jason2459
Registered Member

Playing with Green filter below the condenser
Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0028 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0029 by Jason, on Flickr

I like these
Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0030 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0031 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0032 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0033 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0034 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0035 by Jason, on Flickr

Unread 08/04/2017, 11:16 PM   #432
jason2459
Registered Member

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0036 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0037 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0038 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0039 by Jason, on Flickr

Unread 08/04/2017, 11:18 PM   #433
jason2459
Registered Member

Then I did something and I'm not sure exactly what I did. It made some things look so much better and others washed out. I'll have to figure it out again.

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0041 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0043 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0044 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0045 by Jason, on Flickr

Unread 08/04/2017, 11:19 PM   #434
jason2459
Registered Member

I'm not sure but I think this was the first green cyano I've seen in my tank. Maybe not. At least not any time recent.

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0046 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0048 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0049 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0050 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0053 by Jason, on Flickr

Speck_of_CyanoBacteria-0055 by Jason, on Flickr

Unread 08/04/2017, 11:46 PM   #435
taricha
Registered Member

Photos are already amazing but the set in post 433 is jaw dropping on another level.
I love the contrast the black background gives between the photosynthetic pigments in the diatoms and cyano (two flavors!)
My wife with art degree loves it as abstract art. Reminds her of some projects she did inspired by Hubble photographs of nebula.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2017, 10:25 PM   #436
jason2459
Registered Member

Thanks, it's nice to get feedback on what others like. I'm very much into the photomicrography part of it all along with the enjoyment of exploring the microscopic world. The photomicrography part is what drove me to get a better microscope and camera. Otherwise the omax was perfectly fine for the fun of finding new things.

Unread 08/05/2017, 10:27 PM   #437
jason2459
Registered Member

Video playlist from the speck of cyano
https://youtu.be/NVYe5cM7Gm0?list=PL...fkvy2P1iEeK5gL

Unread 08/09/2017, 09:57 AM   #438
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post

You want some images of some bacteria. Well here you go... lol

Actually the video is much better and showing the immense population of bacteria in this sample. I grabbed some skimmate from my Davey Jones locker and let it sit for about a week. Figured this is a prime location for all kinds of bacteria.

I also found what looks like my larger dinoflagellates lacking pigment as it was totally dark in the locker and the container I had it in the past week. And they were very very active. Shows light is not a factor for at least this type. I also think I saw a flash of a red eye spot which normally can't see as their pigments are normally all colored through photosynthesis.

In fact most everything was very very active and hard to get a picture of. So, I'm hoping the video is much much better. I was also so busy trying get things adjusted as there's more to do now that I missed somethings I'm sure even on the video. It was very exciting.

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0002 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0003 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0005 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0006 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0007 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0008 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0009 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0010 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0011 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0012 by Jason, on Flickr

Unread 08/09/2017, 09:58 AM   #439
jason2459
Registered Member

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0013 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0014 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0016 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0018 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0019 by Jason, on Flickr

Cocci bacteria galore
Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0021 by Jason, on Flickr

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0028 by Jason, on Flickr

only image of the dino I got
Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0030 by Jason, on Flickr

Darkfield did not do well with this set so gave up on it quick. Not very good for things that don't have pigment or large enough. Which I figured would be the case.

Wet_Skimmate_Bacterial_Soup-0017 by Jason, on Flickr

Unread 08/09/2017, 08:34 PM   #440
jason2459
Registered Member

Can still get the full 1080p HD and go full screen but warning some of these are rough as I was just in it last night for the exploration and not some much the quality as I was so excited to see so much bacteria. I was watching it for oh probably close to 5 hours till like 4am. It was like the skimmate was so nasty is made a seal around the cover slip and never evaporated away like I normally experience. lol

Just before and after the 1 minute mark are those dinoflagellates and I've never seen them this active before. Or with out pigment. Though you can just see the red eye spot here and there. . Like at 1m15s go full HD and full screen and keep pausing. Awesome. Not to mention all the fun little cocci, rods, and vibro. Then at 1m35s start PAUSING it's HAL
https://youtu.be/lO23AmzsY8I?list=PL...F3UxzpNcFAKfeU

Edit: cool, I just noticed some videos support even higher then 1080!

Unread 08/09/2017, 08:41 PM   #441
jason2459
Registered Member

I tried darkfield but the bigger stuff was just moving to fast or was to clear and the little stuff I couldn't get the detail I was getting before to tell the different types of bacteria. but it was still kind of cool. Like little lice swimming around.

https://youtu.be/YJEGhactEk4?list=PL...F3UxzpNcFAKfeU

Unread 08/09/2017, 08:51 PM   #442
jason2459
Registered Member

Plenty of bacteria to go around. I would not suggest drinking your skimmate. You'll find just about every type in these video. Oh, and in some parts the video starts looking a bit wavy... that was my centrifuge going. It ended up smushing the bacteria up. It was much more impressive with out trying to separate them out that way. I may try and use my Buchner funnel and flask with various filtration papers 30, 20, 10, 5, 2, and 1 micron. See what ends up though each.

https://youtu.be/EzVOhgtfP3k?list=PL...F3UxzpNcFAKfeU

https://youtu.be/SB7Z5bpWU_0?list=PL...F3UxzpNcFAKfeU

Unread 08/09/2017, 08:56 PM   #443
jason2459
Registered Member

I ran into this large "thing" at the end of the last video linked above. I'm not sure if it was actually something besides detritus that happened to end up in this very peculiar shape or if it was actually some kind of micro organism like an amoeba. It never moved or did anything. But looks like if it was something like an amoeba of some kind it was possibly splitting. But I was having fun watching a particular cocci swim around and got multiple pictures of it above. 3 or 4 coccus together I think I counted

https://youtu.be/F_b7M_wVkgk?list=PL...F3UxzpNcFAKfeU

Unread 08/09/2017, 09:04 PM   #444
jason2459
Registered Member

Still just so cool to see so much life thriving in death.

https://youtu.be/rPhIGWnZQR8?list=PL...F3UxzpNcFAKfeU

I tried going darkfield again on this cool flagellated critter and would have been good if it was bigger. I tried pushing my darkfield stop to 60x and just couldn't. With darkfield the NA value of the condenser has to be higher then the NA value of the lens. The NA value of my condensor is 1.25 BUT what they don't tell you is that is for OIL. For dry it's .9 and my 60x is .9. So, I could just get images but not very good ones. To be able to use an objective of the same NA value or higher you there are objectives with built in iris basically that will allow you to adjust that NA value down.
https://youtu.be/lsgHapb2DuQ?list=PL...F3UxzpNcFAKfeU

https://youtu.be/lTcLAxbg3v8?list=PL...F3UxzpNcFAKfeU

Unread 08/09/2017, 09:12 PM   #445
jason2459
Registered Member

Then while following along I ran into probably one of the most active/busy specks of detritus I found the entire time. I was just blown away

https://youtu.be/16yNBGxdvd0?list=PL...F3UxzpNcFAKfeU

https://youtu.be/HJFrSGqkwpc?list=PL...F3UxzpNcFAKfeU

Unread 08/09/2017, 09:14 PM   #446
jason2459
Registered Member

Finally caught one of the very active dinos in one spot for more then a split second but that didn't last long.

https://youtu.be/IQ2_fUMkDi8?list=PL...F3UxzpNcFAKfeU

Unread 08/10/2017, 08:23 AM   #447
bertoni
RC Mod

Interesting videos. What was the magnification on the detritus with "active specks"?

I've never been much tempted to consume skimmate.

Unread 08/10/2017, 09:00 AM   #448
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Interesting videos. What was the magnification on the detritus with "active specks"?

I've never been much tempted to consume skimmate.
Video 9 and 10 would have been mainly with the 100x objective and with the camera sensor/resolution would be approximately 1500x.

Unread 08/10/2017, 09:08 AM   #449
jason2459
Registered Member

I need to pull back out the calibration slide and get at least a reference of size with each objective with the new scope setup.

Unread 08/11/2017, 08:56 PM   #450
bertoni
RC Mod

Wow, that's up there for magnification!