Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08/29/2017, 07:37 PM   #4426
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingjewels View Post
The picture s where you first have it stirred up seems to look like it, however the one showing it slumped on the bottom says something else to me.

When I did this with mine the Dino seemed to remain in suspension; some would drop to the floor but not that much.

My new set up had a mix of orange sand like Dino / diatoms, but also had the odd membrane of cyano in places..

I tried a product called clean M by continuum and bacter M together and within a day or two it was significantly cleaner..

A week or so and the tank was spotless..

Like I've said the 1st Dino I had was very resilient and wouldn't go, the 2nd time i managed to clear it up, you may have a mix of stuff their form what I gather from the photos.. £30 it is worth a try..

Hey thank you for your advice I'm going to try those 2 products ,, I found the clean M stuff,, the other however I can't seem to find, did you mean this stuff ? Continuum bacter gen-m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vdubin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2017, 07:58 PM   #4427
karimwassef
Registered Member

So I've been thinking about the reasons dinos kill algae scrubbers and then make it hard for them to get started again...

In nature, algae is able to win... so it is a capable competitor.

I think that we need to create an environment where algae has a supreme advantage over dinos & all other life...

This is for those situations where the tank is effectively dead or almost dead - so kill or cure

What if we turn off all light except on the scrubber. The algae scrubber's flow is basically air-exposed with tremendous flow. In that situation, the dinos should have a very hard time attaching since the water depth is effectively a few mms. Dinos can't survive in air.

So, the algae would have the complete upper hand with nutrients, light, air exposure and high flow. The dinos being heterotrophic would consumed dying material but can't use photosynthesis... at some point, the algae will have enough nutrients to get started...

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2017, 12:11 AM   #4428
bertoni
RC Mod

That might work, although it would stress any corals with photosynthetic symbionts. I'm not sure that you could keep the tanks lights out long enough to make much of a difference, as compared to just shutting off the lights altogether, the way many people do.

Old 09/24/2017, 01:11 AM   #4429
karimwassef
Registered Member

This would be the alternative to giving up and tearing the tank down

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Old 09/24/2017, 01:39 PM   #4430
Livingjewels
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdubin00 View Post
Hey thank you for your advice I'm going to try those 2 products ,, I found the clean M stuff,, the other however I can't seem to find, did you mean this stuff ? Continuum bacter gen-m

Yes thatís the product I used, the other is a similar bottle, just says bacter M on instead..

Let me know how you get on,

Livingjewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2017, 01:40 PM   #4431
Livingjewels
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdubin00 View Post

Yes thatís the product I used, the other is a similar bottle, just says bacter clean M on instead..

Let me know how you get on,

Livingjewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2017, 05:00 PM   #4432
karimwassef
Registered Member

If anyone is considering a tear down would consider the scrubber-only, please share your feedback.

Old 09/24/2017, 11:27 PM   #4433
bertoni
RC Mod

Well, if the alternative is tearing the tank down, I'd give the scrubber-only approach a shot.

Old 09/25/2017, 01:01 PM   #4434
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Well guys I chose to use Dino x , cause that's what my LFS had, I gave that a shot along with a 5 day 4 night black out period, and things seem to be gone ! Only a lil bit of white stringy things on the rocks ! So far so good, I probs just jinxed it tho =\

Vdubin00 is offline   Reply With Quote