Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2017, 07:48 AM   #1
droog
Registered Member

Coral dip safe for new aneneome?

Hi,

I'm planning to add a couple of anenome's to my system. It is safe or recommended to dip them before adding to the aquarium? I could not find the answer to this in the FAQ.

I have Coral revive (the TLF product) that say's its safe for anenomes or Coral Rx that doesn't say anything specific that I could find.

All things being equal I prefer to dip, but I can hold off if its considered very stressful for nems. Will be one RBTA and one carpet nem in a 130g DT.

-droog

droog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Kinetic
Registered Member

I've heard people dipping their anemones without any problems, whereas others warn against it. What are you looking to kill?

One thing is, the anemones can inhale the water that you're dipping with, and later expel that into your display tank. Just a FYI, you could get some of it into a tank, and if you don't have enough dilution, it could be harmful to more sensitive inverts that you want to keep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droog View Post
Hi,

I'm planning to add a couple of anenome's to my system. It is safe or recommended to dip them before adding to the aquarium? I could not find the answer to this in the FAQ.

I have Coral revive (the TLF product) that say's its safe for anenomes or Coral Rx that doesn't say anything specific that I could find.

All things being equal I prefer to dip, but I can hold off if its considered very stressful for nems. Will be one RBTA and one carpet nem in a 130g DT.

-droog

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 02:35 PM   #3
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

It may be better especially with the carpet to treat with cipro before putting in your tank.

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 07:46 PM   #4
droog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
I've heard people dipping their anemones without any problems, whereas others warn against it. What are you looking to kill?
Basically I'm looking to prevent the import of aptasia and pest macro algae.

The only LFS's I have access to in Shanghai tend to have fairly dirty water, and some pest macro algae.

-droog

Unread 10/16/2017, 07:47 PM   #5
droog
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll pick up some Ciprio. Looks like it will be handy to have that to hand anyway.

-droog

Unread 10/16/2017, 07:59 PM   #6
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droog View Post
Basically I'm looking to prevent the import of aptasia and pest macro algae.

The only LFS's I have access to in Shanghai tend to have fairly dirty water, and some pest macro algae.

-droog
Yeah, I hear you. I'm not sure if coral dips will kill aiptasia or pest algae... Usually, the dips I know of will kill things like AEFW, maybe redbugs, and other invertebrates. They won't touch algae / macro. I might be wrong?

When I get corals, I always take them off the frag plugs no matter how encrusted they are. I dip the corals that way with iodine too. I'll use a QT tank for a day to make sure nothing else is weird, then a quick rinse in some discarded display tank water, and into the display it goes.

For anemones it's different, as they can hold water inside of them that can hold anything, including bits of bubble algae spores for example.

If you want to be really safe, you could do a treatment tank with cipro just in case, changing water daily and hoping that any bad water kept in the anemone would be changed out after a couple days.

Unread 10/17/2017, 03:42 PM   #7
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Coral dips are not for anemones. Anemones themselves do not carry pests. Unless they are attached on a rock and you put the rock together into your tank, that might introduce pests into your tank.

Coral dips will irritate and stress anemones because they have the same nerve system like those pests. Corals don't have those nerves that's why we can use coral dips to get rid if the pests but still have the corals ( I read about this somewhere).

Being transported from tank to tanks is already stressful to anemones. The dips will cause more stress on them so I would not suggest to treat them with coral dip and personally I never do.

Coral dips can't get rid of apitasia and algae...Apitasia is much hardier anemone than Btas...If Apitasia is killed, btas would be long gone...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 05:05 PM   #8
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post
Coral dips are not for anemones. Anemones themselves do not carry pests. Unless they are attached on a rock and you put the rock together into your tank, that might introduce pests into your tank.

Coral dips will irritate and stress anemones because they have the same nerve system like those pests. Corals don't have those nerves that's why we can use coral dips to get rid if the pests but still have the corals ( I read about this somewhere).

Being transported from tank to tanks is already stressful to anemones. The dips will cause more stress on them so I would not suggest to treat them with coral dip and personally I never do.

Coral dips can't get rid of apitasia and algae...Apitasia is much hardier anemone than Btas...If Apitasia is killed, btas would be long gone...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Couldn't they carry pests? Some things like algae spores could be in the water they're holding onto in their bodies.

Unread 10/17/2017, 06:52 PM   #9
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Couldn't they carry pests? Some things like algae spores could be in the water they're holding onto in their bodies.

I never had that problem with anemones carrying pests. I only had problem with rocks from lfs (such as rocks that corals are on). Probably because I never purchased anemones attached to a rock though. Or I just had luck on mine lol.

Like some other people mentioned, if you dip the anemone (if they survives the treatment), they will bring the chemicals to your main tank. I would suggest to avoid that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 09:02 PM   #10
droog
Registered Member

Cool, thanks guys. Gotta love this forum!

-droog

Unread 10/17/2017, 10:51 PM   #11
Louis Z
Registered Member

You might move the anemone thru several tanks previously set up and filled with SW. Move it each night to a new tank so as to leave the parasites behind. Move the light and disinfect and rinse the power head to the new tank. I worry about that also. I keep a lot of extra tanks with inverts , fish or coral in Qt for at least 2 months. There I can see if they have problems . I treat fish with dips and prazipro. The coral I use coral rx and if needed bayer dip. On sensitive inverts I just move thru a series of tanks hoping to leave behind parasites and the eggs or dormant stages. Better to do this than introduce a parasite to your DT . There is always something unwanted swimming in my LFS tanks .

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 11:49 AM   #12
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Z View Post
You might move the anemone thru several tanks previously set up and filled with SW. Move it each night to a new tank so as to leave the parasites behind. Move the light and disinfect and rinse the power head to the new tank. I worry about that also. I keep a lot of extra tanks with inverts , fish or coral in Qt for at least 2 months. There I can see if they have problems . I treat fish with dips and prazipro. The coral I use coral rx and if needed bayer dip. On sensitive inverts I just move thru a series of tanks hoping to leave behind parasites and the eggs or dormant stages. Better to do this than introduce a parasite to your DT . There is always something unwanted swimming in my LFS tanks .
While I think this may be a bit extreme, it's definitely a good idea if you want to put in the time and effort. I think swapping between two tanks should be fine, assuming one tank is cleaned, sanitized and allowed to dry while the other is in use.

My suggestion with all new nems is to QT them in a separate tank for a few weeks -- a couple weeks to a month -- so you can simply observe the nem and treat with Cipro if needed. I don't recommend using coral dips because we really don't know what's in them. The proprietary ingredients could have negative short- and long-term effects. Insecticides like Bayer typically affect either the exoskeleton or nervous system, both of which a nem doesn't have (technically they do have a nervous system but many refer to it as primitive) so it should be fine, but I err on the side of caution and don't use it (for anything other than coral).

Unread 10/23/2017, 09:20 AM   #13
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techhnyne View Post
Im looking to pick up a bta but its footed into a rock and i reallybwant to make sure the rock is clean before i put in my tank. I figured ill take the bta in the rock so that it stays put when i put him in my tank
The likelihood of the BTA moving is still extremely high even if it's firmly attached to the rock. Lighting and flow are equal factors when it comes to the BTA's "happiness" and if either aren't to its liking, it'll move regardless of if it likes the spot on the rock it's currently on.

Unread 10/23/2017, 10:07 AM   #14
Shia
Registered Member

Anemones have a pretty powerful sting, I rarely see aiptasia growing right next to them at the lfs. Your best bet would be if you can get the anemone off of any rock they are connected to then you do not need to dip anything. Nothing grows on the soft tissue of the nem, and the water inside of them can be purged by doing a very slow acclimation with your own tank water in a container.

Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 12:28 AM   #15
bcb577
Registered Member

Ah just acclimate it and put it in lo

bcb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2017, 10:04 AM   #16
Crimson
Registered Member

Bayer contains Cyfluthrin, which is extremely toxic to fish and inverts.

"Like most pyrethroids, it is highly toxic to fish, invertebrates, and insects"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyfluthrin

"Cyfluthrin is highly acutely toxic to bees and fish.
(Just one part per billion can kill some fish species.)
Sublethal effects occur at even lower doses; less than
one part per trillion caused adverse effects on juvenile
minnows. Ecosystem-level tests have shown that
cyfluthrin affects many organisms in pond ecosystems,
including algae, zooplankton, nematodes, insects, and
fish."

https://www.fluoridealert.org/wp-con...facts.1994.htm

Current Tank Info: 36x18x12 AIO Peninsula, T5's 2x Kessil a160we
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote