Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Reef Breeders LEDs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09/14/2017, 04:20 PM   #1
dickeybrazil
Registered Member

What size lights?

I have a 100g 48w x 20l x 24h

What size/ how many Photon V2 lights?

dickeybrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2017, 06:40 AM   #2
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I'd go with the 48". If cost is a big issue and having the extreme ends of the tank a tiny bit dimmer, you could get away with a 32" and keep zoas and softies at the ends.

Old 11/07/2017, 09:05 AM   #3
biecacka
Registered Member

Sorry to hijack, but I didn't think we needed a new thread for the same topic.

Ron/Logan/others I have a cube tank 48/48/24. It's acrylic, the importance of that fact is it has 6in eurobrace on all 4 sides. So the opening on the top is roughly 36/36. 95% of my rock and coral (SPS) are in the 36/36 area. So even though the tank is 48/48 I only need focused light on 36/36. I actually run a single 400wt radium on the tank with good coverage. But as corals grow, I anticipate being more light to cover the 36/36 area, or raise the light higher. My question is could I get away with 2 v24 or should I get the v32?

Corey

biecacka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Hi Corey,

If you only want to cover 36" x 36", and you don't have any issues with dark spots outside of that area, then 2 of the 24s will work well. If you want to cover the entire tank with some level of light, then 2 48-V2s would be ideal.

Reef Breeders LLC
Reef_Breeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2017, 05:10 AM   #5
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Hey Cory, I assume you are replacing the 400w MH with the 2 led fixtures, and the leds are not an addition, right?

I agree with Logan and then some. If cost is an issue, then the 24" will work. Personally, I think the 32" would be ideal given your 36"x36" area that needs to get good light. If money isn't an issue and you want excellent light, the 48" will help get light out beyond the 36" rockscape and would be the best solution.

To Logan, I rigged my V2 on a tank with euro braces that are smaller than Corey's. But it's kind of a jury rigged set up. Since I didn't see any way to lock the legs onto the euro brace, I set the legs a couple inches shorter than the tank and the 'stretched' some 'spring' in the legs to reach the edges of the tank. I'm not happy with the set up, but it's been on the tank for a year and I've moved it more than a few times and it's never given any indication that it wants to fall off. So my question is, is there a better way to use the parts supplied to work on a euro braced tank? Especially with 6" euro braces like Corey has?

Thanks

BTW, do you have extra LumenBar adjustable brackets for sale yet? I'd be happy to buy 6 if you have them.

Old 11/08/2017, 03:59 PM   #6
biecacka
Registered Member

I don't need the 48. The back of the tank is an overflow so it needs no light. I would guess the 32's would suffice at the most. Possibly the 24's, but I would prefer the 32's. More power and leds for when things grow out.

Yes Ron, I'm thinking of swapping out my 400 radium.

Corey

biecacka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Hey Cory, I assume you are replacing the 400w MH with the 2 led fixtures, and the leds are not an addition, right?

I agree with Logan and then some. If cost is an issue, then the 24" will work. Personally, I think the 32" would be ideal given your 36"x36" area that needs to get good light. If money isn't an issue and you want excellent light, the 48" will help get light out beyond the 36" rockscape and would be the best solution.

To Logan, I rigged my V2 on a tank with euro braces that are smaller than Corey's. But it's kind of a jury rigged set up. Since I didn't see any way to lock the legs onto the euro brace, I set the legs a couple inches shorter than the tank and the 'stretched' some 'spring' in the legs to reach the edges of the tank. I'm not happy with the set up, but it's been on the tank for a year and I've moved it more than a few times and it's never given any indication that it wants to fall off. So my question is, is there a better way to use the parts supplied to work on a euro braced tank? Especially with 6" euro braces like Corey has?

Thanks

BTW, do you have extra LumenBar adjustable brackets for sale yet? I'd be happy to buy 6 if you have them.
Hey Ron,

They don't need that spring- they should be able to rest on the eurobrace and remain fairly stable.

If you really want clean mounting- there is a T-track system that a user posted on another forum. It is very easy to set these up with T-tracks, and the parts are all available online. I can email you a parts list if you would like

Reef Breeders LLC
Reef_Breeders is offline   Reply With Quote