Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/31/2017, 05:41 PM   #1
Maggie321
Registered Member

Little help with sump layout please.

It's my first time in saltwater. I have a 200 gallon tank that I want to use as my DT. I have a 55 gallon tank I want to turn into my refugium/sump. I got a 1982 gph return pump and the reef octopus regal 250-int. Maybe overkill? I don't know if I have enough room for the refugium? Should I do the skimmer in the same chamber as the drain into socks? Or should the sump and return pump be in the same chamber? Should I get a larger tank for the sump and refugium to be in? I thought I had a pretty good idea until the monster octopus showed up. Holy moly! Advice and suggestions are appreciated! (I hope the pic loads)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Maggie321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2017, 05:46 PM   #2
postaldave
Registered Member

before deciding on the refugium area its worth your time to find out why and for what purpose you want a fuge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h39V...1qiwGmCJvR_5qs

postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2017, 06:46 PM   #3
Maggie321
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postaldave View Post
before deciding on the refugium area its worth your time to find out why and for what purpose you want a fuge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h39V...1qiwGmCJvR_5qs
That was awesome! It really helped me to understand alot better. I want to eventually grow soft and hard corals, and have fish. I want to grow copepods for the fish to snack on but it of course won't be the only source of food. I don't want to do huge water changes frequently, instead doing smaller wc less frequently. I want the fuge to clean the water and the protein skimmer to pick up the slack. I am OK with running it all the time or for a few hours a day. So I am kind of asking, what will make the fuge do the work? If I put it in with the socks before the fuge, it will be pulling the stuff out the algae and pods want to eat and use. If I put it after the fuge with the return pump, is it going to work effectively?

Old 03/31/2017, 06:49 PM   #4
Lsufan
Registered Member

I would decide if u definitely want a refugium & if u definitely want to use socks. If u are going to use socks I would recommend to make a section specifically for the socks so that they are very easy to change. If they are hard to change out then chances are they won't get changed every couple days like they should & end up doing more harm then good to the system.

As far as a fuge u will need to decide what u want out of the refugium. If u just want it to grow some chaeto & harvest pods then u may be able to squeeze everything into the 55 sump. If u want a fuge to grow a bunch of different type of algae & make a big difference on your nutrients then it may be hard to fit everything into the 55 sump. U may want to have a seperate tank for a refugium.

If u decide u don't want to use socks then u should have room in the 55 for a decent size fuge.

Lsufan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2017, 07:09 PM   #5
Maggie321
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postaldave View Post
That video was super informative! I want to grow a few pods and have some algae. I want corals and fish. In time of course. I am OK with moving slow on increasing the quantity of live things.

Old 03/31/2017, 07:12 PM   #6
Maggie321
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
I would decide if u definitely want a refugium & if u definitely want to use socks. If u are going to use socks I would recommend to make a section specifically for the socks so that they are very easy to change. If they are hard to change out then chances are they won't get changed every couple days like they should & end up doing more harm then good to the system.

As far as a fuge u will need to decide what u want out of the refugium. If u just want it to grow some chaeto & harvest pods then u may be able to squeeze everything into the 55 sump. If u want a fuge to grow a bunch of different type of algae & make a big difference on your nutrients then it may be hard to fit everything into the 55 sump. U may want to have a seperate tank for a refugium.

If u decide u don't want to use socks then u should have room in the 55 for a decent size fuge.
I didn't know you could NOT use socks. The thought never entered my mind! That changes everything! Thank you. That gives me much more room to work with.

Old 03/31/2017, 07:13 PM   #7
Maggie321
Registered Member

How do you set the water level?

Old 03/31/2017, 07:54 PM   #8
Lsufan
Registered Member

U will need to find out what depth your skimmer has to be . The skimmer will have a recommended water level, so u will want your skimmer section to be that deep. U can go a little deeper if u want to but u will have to raise the skimmer up on a stand so it sits at the right water level. U have to be careful not to have to raise the skimmer to much to where it is up so high it is hard to remove the cup because it's so close to the top of the stand.

I'll post a picture of one of my sumps so u can see the bubble trap but the first baffle on your bubble trap will set the water level in the skimmer section. My sump only has a sock section, skimmer section & return section. I have a seperate tank for a fuge. To have a fuge u would basically just add one more baffle to the sump. If u decide to not use socks then u would just have the bubble trap after the skimmer then one more baffle inbetween the return & fuge.

If u decide to put a fuge in the sump I like to put the return pump in the middle section & the fuge on the end. Then feed the fuge from the return pump & let it overflow back to the return section of the sump. It's a little harder to set up this way but it lets u be able to have more water in the fuge because u can run it deeper then the rest of the sump. It also lets u take the fuge offline for cleaning & not have to turn the whole system off.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03/31/2017, 09:15 PM   #9
Maggie321
Registered Member

I don't understand the last part. 3 sections? The water comes in section 1 and that has the refugium, the middle section has the return pump and the last section has the protein skimmer? How does the water get to the skimmer

Old 03/31/2017, 10:01 PM   #10
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
U will need to find out what depth your skimmer has to be . The skimmer will have a recommended water level, so u will want your skimmer section to be that deep. U can go a little deeper if u want to but u will have to raise the skimmer up on a stand so it sits at the right water level. U have to be careful not to have to raise the skimmer to much to where it is up so high it is hard to remove the cup because it's so close to the top of the stand.

I'll post a picture of one of my sumps so u can see the bubble trap but the first baffle on your bubble trap will set the water level in the skimmer section. My sump only has a sock section, skimmer section & return section. I have a seperate tank for a fuge. To have a fuge u would basically just add one more baffle to the sump. If u decide to not use socks then u would just have the bubble trap after the skimmer then one more baffle inbetween the return & fuge.

If u decide to put a fuge in the sump I like to put the return pump in the middle section & the fuge on the end. Then feed the fuge from the return pump & let it overflow back to the return section of the sump. It's a little harder to set up this way but it lets u be able to have more water in the fuge because u can run it deeper then the rest of the sump. It also lets u take the fuge offline for cleaning & not have to turn the whole system off.

[IMG][/IMG]
did you bend glass for the sock holder?

d0ughb0y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2017, 11:20 PM   #11
Lsufan
Registered Member

If u aren't going to do socks then u won't do the first section that is in the pic with the holes for socks.

The water will enter the skimmer section, then u will have a bubble trap which is the 3 baffles close together in the pic. It will go over the bubble trap to the next section which will be eighther the return or fuge depending how u want the sump configured. Then u will have one more baffle seperating the return & fuge. U only need the bubble trap after the skimmer section. U don't need one between the return & fuge because there shouldn't be any bubbles, so just a single baffle to seperate the return & fuge.

No matter what the water will enter the skimmer section. U can eighther go skimmer>fuge>return or skimmer>return >fuge. If u put the fuge in the middle then the water would just flow through the sump. If u put the return in the middle & the fuge on the end then the water will enter the skimmer section, flow to the return section & u would feed the fuge from your return line & let the fuge flow back to the return section. I like it this way because u can have more water volume in the fuge because it can be deeper then the rest of the sump. It also lets u turn off the fuge without turning off the whole system. U can also control the flow through the fuge seperately then the flow through the sump. It is harder to set up with the return in the middle because u will have more plumbing to do.

It's easier to setup if u put the fuge in the middle & the return on the end because the water will enter the skimmer section, flow to the fuge then flow to the return. So u won't have to feed the fuge from the return pump. The downside to this setup is the fuge can't be deeper then the skimmer section so u will have less volume of water in the fuge, U have to turn the whole system off to clean the fuge & u can't control the flow through the fuge independently from the flow the the sump.

I would do a search on sump configuration & do some research so u know which way u want to go. If u want the fuge or return in the middle section. Once u figure out which way u want to go then u can figure out the layout of the baffles. I find it easier to go to the browser & type in what u want to search & put reefcentral behind it instead of trying to search straight from reefcentral. I'm always on my phone so I go to the safari & type in what u want to search,something like ( sump configuration- reefcentral)
I find doing it like that gives u more options then using the search function directly on reefcentral.

Old 03/31/2017, 11:23 PM   #12
Lsufan
Registered Member

No doughboy, the piece with the holes is actually acrylic. Everything else is glass. I have the acrylic sitting on top of the baffle on one side & on top of a strip of glass on the other side. That way all the weight is sitting on top of the glass & it doesn't have to rely on the silicone to hold the weight

Old 04/01/2017, 10:55 AM   #13
Maggie321
Registered Member

How does this look? Sorry but quick sketch on my phone... you get the idea though

Old 04/01/2017, 07:43 PM   #14
Lsufan
Registered Member

That looks good, u got the idea. Just make sure to check how deep your skimmer is suppose to be so u know how tall to make your baffles.

Old 11/09/2017, 11:42 AM   #15
arewedoneyet
Registered Member

Any updates ?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

arewedoneyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2017, 12:40 AM   #16
zachrabbit15
Registered Member

do you have just one overflow on your 200? If you have two I would have the first run into the skimmer chamber with a filter sock. The second I would empty into the fuge chamber with a spay bar kind setup.

zachrabbit15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2017, 04:08 AM   #17
SFish
Registered Member

I would not use a spray bar in the sump or on a salt water tank. It's going to get salt spray everywhere and on a drain it's going to plug. It also serves no purpose. You can agitate the water other better ways for oxygen exchange.