Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/07/2017, 04:05 PM   #1
Marouette21
Registered Member

Fluval evo 13,5 on the way

Hello,

After many weeks to read, buy mats, prepare it, my Fluval Evo 13,5 is finally on its Day1

I prepare my salt water with Instant ocean Reef crystal. Temp is 79 F, salinity with my refractometer is 1,025 and pH is 8,2.

For now, I have around 12 lbs of Marco rock.

With the base tank kit, I add a Koralia 240 mph and the skimmer (not connect for now, I will wait after the cycling). In the filter, I have the sponge with carbon and floss to remove particules in the water. When my cycling will be done, I will use a structure to put purigen and chemi-pure elite. Not sure what I will put on the third step,probably some floss with carbon maybe (or only floss)

Tommorow, I will go to the LFS to buy 2 or 3 lbs of live rock and I will add 10 lbs of live sand.

If you have any comments to help me, let me know It's my first tank

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jour 1-1.jpg (43.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Jour 1-2.jpg (52.8 KB, 45 views)
Marouette21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2017, 06:17 AM   #2
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

Looks like a great start! Same tank but mine remains empty for now. My advise, first this web site, become a student first and second, use reliable water test kits. Oh, and enjoy being the master of a very small and fragile piece of this world. Good luck and following.

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Marouette21
Registered Member

Day 2

Day 2.

I add live sand (10 lbs) and live rock (2 lbs). LFS recommand me to buy a mix of zooplanton to help to start the cycle. It's the bottle you can see in the tank. I will remove it in 2 days.

Then, I will just have to wait! My idea is to have a couple of little clowns and a yellow watchman goby with pistol shrime but I still not sure about it. For coral, I will look for some easy soft corals (zoah and mushroom).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jour 2-1.jpg (37.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Jour 2-2.jpg (40.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 10/09/2017, 04:57 PM   #4
OhDumb
Registered Member

Nice start! I like your rock work.

I cycled my Fluval 13.5 with Turbo 900 and highly recommend it (tested 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 10 Nitrates first week). I just added a second Koralia 240 as one wasn't cutting it and started getting Cyano in places.

I use a sock of carbon and a Chemipure Elite in the 2nd chamber. When the Chemipure is up for replacement I'm thinking switching to a sock of GFO. I run floss at the top of the same chamber. In the first chamber I have the Fluval SAE Skimmer as it came with deal from my LFS. I have it dialed in and really like it. Worth it? Not sure. But, do like it on my system. Chamber three I just have the return pump and slim heater that fits next to it.

I love the tank. It is my first nano and it is certainly a different ball game from larger tanks. It's fun!

OhDumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2017, 04:57 PM   #5
OhDumb
Registered Member

I can never get pics to attach.

Old 10/09/2017, 04:58 PM   #6
OhDumb
Registered Member

Sorry for the spam but here is a direct link.

https://imgur.com/KSGiGv0

Old 10/10/2017, 09:18 AM   #7
Marouette21
Registered Member

It's beautiful. What living do you have in your tank? My idea is to go with 2 clowns and 1 little goby but I worry that can be too much. What is your cleaning population?

Old 10/11/2017, 07:55 AM   #8
Marouette21
Registered Member

Lights

Good morning,

I have the idea to probably update the light in a couple of monthes to have one I could program. Because my schédule at work, I will need to open this one realy early at the morning and close is really early too so It,s not open more that 12 hours. It's kinda sad because the tank will have light mainly when I work... I would like to be able to program it. What would be your suggestions of lights for this tank?

Thanks

Old 10/11/2017, 10:07 AM   #9
OhDumb
Registered Member

Fish in my tank are a pair of ORA Ocellaris clowns and a Purple Firefish. I have a skunk Cleaner shrimp, three blue legged hermits, three Nassrius snails in the sandbed, and three Banded Trochus snails. Your fish selection will be great.

For lighting, I'm currently just running the stock lights but upgrading them is my next investment priority. I've done a lot of reading and we are in a nice spot with such a small/shallow tank. The options I've researched and will be deciding between are the following...

Kessil A80 + Controller + Goose Neck mount: $250
AI Prime + Goose Neck mount: $250
Current USA Marine Pro 18" : $150

I prefer the Kessil light over the others (looks amazing at LFS), but like the full package customization of the AI Prime. I'm seriously considering the Current Marine for price as par values will be fine for a tanks our size and the display is 18.6" so basically full coverage with the smallest unit. All these lights are fully programmable and you can can ramp up and set on/off around your own schedule so you can enjoy all your hard work when at home.

Old 10/12/2017, 06:17 PM   #10
Marouette21
Registered Member

Day 6

Temp and salinity still stable but I wait for amoniac to show up. Someone on Facebook suggest me to add raw shrim to help start cycle. I will probably do it tommorow if I still see nothing

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jour 6-3.jpg (54.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 10/16/2017, 07:05 AM   #11
Marouette21
Registered Member

Still not detect any amoniac, nitrite or nitrate 2 days after add a raw shrime. It's normal? I begin to see little algae on my live rocks. Do that mean anything?

Thanks

Old 10/16/2017, 03:10 PM   #12
LA_Mixed_Reef
Registered Member

It is normal just let it be it will clear up in a few. Maybe brush off the rocks so it can be collected but for the most part it is bacteria colonies doing their thing.

LA_Mixed_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2017, 07:16 AM   #13
Marouette21
Registered Member

So frustrating

All my parameters are perfect. I was ready to buy my first fish this week end but I have big trouble with my skimmer (Fluval PS2) Last week, the pomp just break. So I returned to my LFS and they gave me a new one. 48h later, the new pomp begun to make big noises... I removed the skimmer, attempt to look what wrong... and now the pomp still work but the screw don't turn.... I'm so mad. Return to the LFS. They will make test.

So I wait... and I watch my beautiful tank with life rock but no fishes... Patient, need to be patient... lol

LFS say they dont have any other skimmer that can fit in my tank. Any of you know an other skimmer who could fit in the first chamber of the Fluval evo 13,5?

Thanks!

Old 11/11/2017, 01:40 PM   #14
The Modest Reef
Registered Member

I hate, hate, hate the way they designed the rear chamber in the EVO. The first upgrades for this tank has to be the In Tank media basket for camber 1 at least. I went ahead and got both and now the water flows through the sump as it should

The Modest Reef is offline   Reply With Quote