Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/09/2017, 08:41 PM   #1
Aveet
Registered Member

First Reef Questions

First off, I'd like to great everyone as I'm a new member to Reef Central.

I've been researching around as I'm attempting turning in an old 38 gallon tank into a 'nano' reef tank. I'm still in initial planning stages and haven't committed to anything yet. I've kept various FW tanks so I'm very familiar with the basic ins and outs of aquaculture and the nitrogen cycle.
I have a few questions / request for suggestions from experienced reefers.
1) Would it be viable to use a canister filter and HOB filter (live plants inside) in conjunction instead of a sump/overflow setup?
2) I like the wavemaker idea as I want to have natural looking movement on the coral but I don't want to spend a ton as I'm still learning the reef stuff. Would a more 'vanilla' powerhead setup be best?

Any other tips or suggestions are completely welcomed. Also any stocking ideas could be of use. I have been looking at Live Aquaria at inverts and fishes for stocking ideas.

Thanks

Aveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2017, 09:31 PM   #2
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Hello & welcome. Canister filter with live plants inside? You could use a canister filter no live plants, use a hob refugium & have live plants in it

JUNBUG361 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Aveet
Registered Member

That's exactly what I meant, sorry if I typed it weirdly. I'm curious if the HOB w/ live plants would be useful or not. I was hoping to have it act as a small refug more or less.
The canister would be used as a water sifter/chemical if I needed it.

Old 11/09/2017, 09:44 PM   #4
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Hob fiIter with chaeto & light could be useful(imo)

JUNBUG361 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2017, 05:56 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

IMO skip the hob filter/fuge..

Keep it simple and rely on having sufficient rock (1.5lbs/gallon or more) and water changes (~10% per week) to take care of everything..

as for powerheads you do NOT need fancy/expensive wavemakers to be successful either.. Any old powerhead will do the trick.. Just shoot for having 2 or so whos flow rate equals about 30x tank size in gallons per hour..

Old 11/10/2017, 03:02 PM   #6
Jeramirez85
Registered Member

Either a hob refugium will do the trick. Also agree on weekly water changes and plenty of live rock for biological filtration

Jeramirez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2017, 03:32 PM   #7
crawlerman
Registered Member

Jebao makes a decent powerhead that's reasonable. I would by the Hydor PH, I've had three and all three were eventually put electrical current in the water. If given the choice between a hang on back refugium, canister filter and skimmer, I'd get the skimmer.

Check craigslist, sometimes you can get a complete setup for half of what setting up a system will cost.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2017, 11:37 AM   #8
Aveet
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I plan on having plenty of rock in the tank to host all the bacteria. I'm not planning on using the HOB for actual filtering in the tank. My idea now is to have it act as a housing for smaller organisms such as copepods or others of the like. Do these types of organisms have any chance in a slight current like the HOB filter, the filter flow rate is variable btw.