Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Tom39
Registered Member

Orange Shoulder Tang - What is it doing?

So my orange shoulder Tang is acting odd. It keeps coming to the surface and gulping air and pushing it out through it's gills. Is this a indication of some sort of ailment?
There are no visible signs of infection. No dots or specs or flakes of any kind on his skin. He eats well, swims around the tank like normal, doesn't scratch on anything and shows no signs that anything is wrong. All of the other fish show none of these symptoms.
I tried to upload a short video with Tapatalk but the download failed. The best I could do was the picture, showing the bubbles that he's sucking in and pushing out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 150g Marineland Cube
Tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 11:53 AM   #2
Eliemination
Registered Member

Maybe there is not enough oxygen in your tank? Fish would usually do this when oxygen levels are low. may I see what your tank looks like and also your setup?

Eliemination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 12:51 PM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Point the return line at the surface of the water and a pwoerhead or two. Looks like lack of O2 to me

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 03:17 PM   #4
rvareef
In Memoriam

How old/big is the tank? is the OS the biggest fish in the tank? Are you running a sandbed? Did you move anything around in the tank or add anything new? My orange shoulder likes to burrow in the sand near the rocks, and will move corals on the sanbed stirring it up, so maybe ammonia spike?

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 04:39 PM   #5
nsfishguy
Registered Member

My orange shoulder has been doing this for several years as well. I think it entertains them. My other fish are fine and there are no other issues. I wouldn't worry about it to much unless you see some other problems.

nsfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 05:06 PM   #6
Tom39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliemination View Post
Maybe there is not enough oxygen in your tank? Fish would usually do this when oxygen levels are low. may I see what your tank looks like and also your setup?
The tank us fairly new, right at about 6 months.
150g cube, 40g sump and an external skimmer.

Unread 11/19/2017, 05:12 PM   #7
Tom39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Point the return line at the surface of the water and a pwoerhead or two. Looks like lack of O2 to me
Return is pointed and discharges right at the surface. It looked to me that it provides lots of agitation but maybe it is not enough.
Pic is a view looking up at the water surface.
Unfortunately I am unable to direct a powerhead at the surface as I am running MP40's and they are unidirectional.

Last edited by Tom39; 11/19/2017 at 05:27 PM.
Unread 11/19/2017, 05:20 PM   #8
Tom39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvareef View Post
How old/big is the tank? is the OS the biggest fish in the tank? Are you running a sandbed? Did you move anything around in the tank or add anything new? My orange shoulder likes to burrow in the sand near the rocks, and will move corals on the sanbed stirring it up, so maybe ammonia spike?
The tank is quite new at about 6 months. It cycled for 5 months and the fish have been in it for 1 month.
I would not say that the OS is the largest fish as there is a Yellow tang in there that is about the same size.
I am running a sandbed but I haven't moved anything in the tank, I haven't added anything and I have not seen my OS burrow. That would be cool to see if he did though. You should post a video of that, I would love to see that.
The 1st thing that I checked was ammonia and both test kits show nothing. I have a bit of nitrates but that is it.

Unread 11/19/2017, 05:23 PM   #9
Tom39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsfishguy View Post
My orange shoulder has been doing this for several years as well. I think it entertains them. My other fish are fine and there are no other issues. I wouldn't worry about it to much unless you see some other problems.
I am hoping that this is the case.

Unread 11/20/2017, 06:35 AM   #10
Moort82
Registered Member

I've heard people suggest when other tangs did this that they were eating the protein film you sometimes find on the surface.

Moort82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 12:43 PM   #11
scooter31707
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moort82 View Post
I've heard people suggest when other tangs did this that they were eating the protein film you sometimes find on the surface.
I think this may be the case. All 5 of my tangs do this every now and then (not often). I don't notice any other fish doing this. So I eliminated lack of oxygen.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 03:23 PM   #12
Tom39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moort82 View Post
That makes a lot of sense.

Unread 11/21/2017, 10:50 AM   #13
McPuff
Registered Member

My lieutenant tang does this as does the foxface. I used to have rabbit fish that did this in addition to other tangs. I think it's just something to do, possibly there is some type of benefit to them. The behavior was always in the same location. Would say there is nothing wrong with your O2 and that it is just a silly quirk of these fishes.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 03:08 PM   #14
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom39 View Post
Return is pointed and discharges right at the surface. It looked to me that it provides lots of agitation but maybe it is not enough.
Pic is a view looking up at the water surface.
Unfortunately I am unable to direct a powerhead at the surface as I am running MP40's and they are unidirectional.

You could try moving the MP40 higher up in the tank to provide more agitation. The fish appears to be very healthy so I'm not sure I would worry too much about it. I had a Orange shoulder years ago in my 220g but it never did that.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 07:49 PM   #15
borg
Registered Member

The OS is a very busy tang in my experience always moving around pecking at anything it can find to shovel down the mouth perhaps its part of the character for this one , thats a nice clean setup you have their looks great but there isnt much of any algae i could see after 6 months you should have all types perhaps the photoperoid is the issue ?

Current Tank Info: 300g DT 5ft (4ft Sump 150g) , ATI Hybrid 8x54w 2xLED Cluster x2, Vortech MP40W x2& 2x Sicce Voyager 2 x Jaebo rw8 , Aqua Excel Skimmer , Sicce Syncra Pro Return
borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 09:01 PM   #16
Tom39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg View Post
The OS is a very busy tang in my experience always moving around pecking at anything it can find to shovel down the mouth perhaps its part of the character for this one , thats a nice clean setup you have their looks great but there isnt much of any algae i could see after 6 months you should have all types perhaps the photoperoid is the issue ?
You are right about no algae in the tank and it being a result of a lacking photo-period. There actually isn't a speck of algae anywhere in the tank. This is a direct result of while I was cycling the tank, I seen no valid reason for having any lights on, so without light there was really no opportunity for algae to grow.

After cycling and I put the fish in, I again seen no reason for lights and had not turned them on.

I actually just turned the lights on a few days ago but by the end of the week I will also be installing my algae turf scrubber. My plan is that the algae turf scrubber should out-compete the reef lights and my hope is that I will never have algae in my DT.

Because of no algae growth in the DT and nothing for the fish to pick at, I have been feeding nori 2x a day and I also feed the fish a variety of foods such as LRS Herbivore Frenzy, mysis and brine shrimp.