Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/30/2017, 06:19 AM   #1
urb77
Registered Member

How to keep ph at 8.3. 8.4 ?

I have sps/ ph 8 alk=9 , mg =400 ,ca = 400
Way can I do to increase to 8.4
I tried c.hydroxid . C.oxid . C.c.
But after few hours it's drop to 8 .

urb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 06:34 AM   #2
hegeh
Registered Member

I will be more worry about your Mg. Ph fluctuate day and night.

Answering the question, google co2 scrubber.. cheap and efficient.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hegeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 06:42 AM   #3
nanojg
Registered Member

Why do you want to?

nanojg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 07:09 AM   #4
Timfish
Registered Member

I would not be chasing numbers. There should be fluctuations and the biology in your tank is messing with stuff so as long as it's in an acceptable range I'd leave it alone. FWIW one of the most pristine and diverse reefs in the world sits at 7.9.

Unread 12/30/2017, 12:06 PM   #5
josephxsxn
Registered Member

Having proper gas exchange in your tank is a large key to keeping the PH 8+. There is also nothing wrong with a PH of 8, I would consider that penty safe and be non-worried.

Take a liter of your water and airbubble it indoors for an hour with a small airstone, check the PH after. Then repeat this test with a new liter of water from your tank but with air from outside (put it all outside, or run the airpump out your window.) If both go up you dont have good gas exchange in your tank itself, if only the sample that used outdoor air goes up your home is likely tightly built and the co2 levels are elevated compared to inside causing this gas imbalance. And if its all the same gas exchange is pretty good, at this point more things that consume co2 will help drive your PH up, like running a huge ball of macroalgae under your tank with an aggressive light.

2 large air stones in my sump with the pump out the window solved all my PH issues.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/5/chemistry
Scroll down to "pH vs. Alkalinity in Reef Tanks" and check out Figure #2.

##Also I see you said your mag is 400.. you mean 1400 right?

Last edited by josephxsxn; 12/30/2017 at 12:08 PM. Reason: mag question
josephxsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 04:18 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

pH at 8 actually is very good for a tank in a house. The extra carbon dioxide in the air tends to push the pH of tanks down. A lot of Tanks of the Month have run at 7.8, so the pH in your system should be fine.

Calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide (Kalk) work by consuming carbon dioxide from the water to form carbonate and bicarbonate. Aeration will bring the pH back down fairly quickly in most systems, as you've seen. Personally, I would just ignore the pH, but you could consider trying a carbon dioxide scrubber on the input to the skimmer, if you'd like to do some experimentation. That approach helps in some cases, but not all.

Last edited by bertoni; 01/07/2018 at 01:11 AM. Reason: typo
bertoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 11:08 AM   #7
urb77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephxsxn View Post
Having proper gas exchange in your tank is a large key to keeping the PH 8+. There is also nothing wrong with a PH of 8, I would consider that penty safe and be non-worried.

Take a liter of your water and airbubble it indoors for an hour with a small airstone, check the PH after. Then repeat this test with a new liter of water from your tank but with air from outside (put it all outside, or run the airpump out your window.) If both go up you dont have good gas exchange in your tank itself, if only the sample that used outdoor air goes up your home is likely tightly built and the co2 levels are elevated compared to inside causing this gas imbalance. And if its all the same gas exchange is pretty good, at this point more things that consume co2 will help drive your PH up, like running a huge ball of macroalgae under your tank with an aggressive light.

2 large air stones in my sump with the pump out the window solved all my PH issues.

Thanks Joseph.

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk

Unread 01/06/2018, 11:09 AM   #8
urb77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
I would not be chasing numbers. There should be fluctuations and the biology in your tank is messing with stuff so as long as it's in an acceptable range I'd leave it alone. FWIW one of the most pristine and diverse reefs in the world sits at 7.9.
Thanks

Unread 01/06/2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Sk8r
RC Mod

set mg at 1350, alk at 8.3, cal at 420 by hand-dosing these elements separately, one at a time, in that order, by directions, day by day until each is achieved. I use Kent products, myself. This locks the relationship at those readings until the mg runs down past 1200. If your alk is ok, don't worry about the ph unless you have special reason..

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 01:02 PM   #10
urb77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephxsxn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by urb77 View Post
I have sps/ ph 8 alk=9 , mg =400 ,ca = 400
Way can I do to increase to 8.4
I tried c.hydroxid . C.oxid . C.c.
But after few hours it's drop to 8 .
Yes , 1400

Unread 01/07/2018, 12:25 AM   #11
rfgonzo
Registered Member

Not sure why you need to go higher but if you must, you could point PH's towards surface to help gas exchange. If you run a skimmer you could run the airline to the skimmer from outside. This will help raise PH. However I think your fine at 8.

75 gal Brazilian Dragon Mor
rfgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 01:11 AM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Personally, I would just ignore the pH, but you could consider trying a carbon dioxide scrubber on the input to the skimmer, if you'd like to do some experimentation. That approach helps in some cases, but not all.
Argh! I fixed my typo. A scrubber might help, although I'd likely just leave the pH as is.