Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/01/2018, 09:45 AM   #1
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

Need help with H Mag

I have had this mag for 41/2 years, in the last 7 months or so it has gotten a lot smaller. I was over 12 when I got it and now its around 4.The color is stil goodl but tentacles are really short.It is still reacts to feeding.I feed it twice a week.Any help would be appreciated.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Pericyte
Registered Member

Do you have clowns with it? If so, what kind? My true percs seem to do a number on whatever anemone they’re in (the anemone slowly shrinks). If that’s the case, maybe removing the clowns for a while would help, or add more anemones to take some of the heat?

If that is not the case, the only other things I can think of are flow, water conditions or lighting.

Pericyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2018, 01:26 PM   #3
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

I have a pair of occys, they have moved to the Rbtas in the tank about 6 months ago. I do 50 gallon water changes every 3 weeks. Lighting is leds and mhs.The mag is under the 250 watt mh.

Last edited by SNAKEMANVET; 01/01/2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01/02/2018, 12:57 AM   #4
Kinetic
Registered Member

Does it stay 4" all the time now?

My mag inflates and deflates throughout the day, depending on the light, water movement, and most of all how crazy my clownfish are acting up. I always assumed it was normal.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 170
Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2018, 12:33 PM   #5
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

This one doesn’t deflate and inflate, it has slowly gotten smaller.

Old 01/07/2018, 10:23 PM   #6
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

Snakeman, I think you need to post more info about your tank before people can properly advice you what to do. Tank size, tank parameters, dosing anything or added any new equipments? Also take pictures and post, is the mouth open all the time, loose its stickyness? Im not an expert on mag but from all the post these are some of the things they ask for before they can help.

aznflyfisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2018, 05:25 AM   #7
OrionN
Anemones

Anemone getting smaller is similar to human getting thinner. It caloric intake (and produced) is not enough to maintain himself. I would concentrate on getting him more calories. What kind of light is he under and what kind of nutrients in the water?
Pictures would be good.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones (none yet) reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: Labouti & Lubbock Fairry, Yellowfin Flasher, Dragonet: Green Mandarin Hitchhiker Blennies (2)
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2018, 03:00 PM   #8
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

It’s under a 250 watt metal halide, approx 8” underwater surface and light is about 10” above the water surface.I change out 50 gallons every three weeks on a 180.The mouth is always shut except when eating. It’s still very sticky just keeps getting smaller.I have some rbtas in the tank as well, to keep the clowns away from the mag.

Old 01/08/2018, 04:33 PM   #9
OrionN
Anemones

As long as the anemone does not have an open mouth where the clowns are digging into it, I would not worry about the clowns.
I would feed it more, larger amount and every other days.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones (none yet) reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: Labouti & Lubbock Fairry, Yellowfin Flasher, Dragonet: Green Mandarin Hitchhiker Blennies (2)
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2018, 06:02 PM   #10
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

I feed mysis shrimp twice a week, so I need something else

Last edited by SNAKEMANVET; 01/08/2018 at 07:04 PM.