Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/21/2017, 09:38 AM   #1
emilese
Registered Member

Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer Cup

This is my first time using an Aquamaxx WS-1 skimmer. I'm currently breaking it in by running it in a RODI / Vinegar bath for 24 hours.

The pump is mounted so that it sits a little above the bottom of the skimmer. As a result the top of acrylic wall that the pump is mounted to, is not flush with the top of the skimmer. So, the rubber ring that controls the height of the collection cup is not level and water is spilling over the side of the skimmer.

I know the main reason the skimmer is overflowing is because it is still breaking in but, is the skimmer supposed to fit this way? Here's a picture to help explain what I'm trying to describe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skimmer Overflow.jpg (69.3 KB, 46 views)
emilese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 03:27 PM   #2
smatter
Registered Member

Contact Marine Depot and tell them you received a defective unit. Oh wait , you are in Taiwan, that might be a problem.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 06:48 PM   #3
emilese
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatter View Post
Contact Marine Depot and tell them you received a defective unit. Oh wait , you are in Taiwan, that might be a problem.
Yeah, and I bought it off ebay as Marine Depot's shipping costs to Taiwan is crazy expensive.

So that acrylic divider that the pump is mounted to should be flush with the top of the skimmer right? Even if it was flush, would the rubber ring seal it so that it's not overflowing from the side?

I'm worried that once the skimmer is broken in, if something causes the skimmer to go crazy in the future, I'll have a big mess. The skimmer just barely fits in the back chamber of my AIO so any overflow will drip out.

Unread 12/22/2017, 02:12 PM   #4
smatter
Registered Member

Yes it should be flush. The O ring doesn't form a seal. When I first set mine up it foamed like crazy for a day or two before it calmed down. Foam did spray out and make a bit of a mess. After break in it hasn't foamed up like it did at first again and has been running like a Swiss watch.

Unread 12/31/2017, 07:26 AM   #5
emilese
Registered Member

Skimmer still overflowing

I completed the vinegar bath and RODI rinse and put the skimmer back on the DT system. It was STILL overflowing!

So, I figured that it is still not broken in. To further try to break it in without it creating a huge mess, I thought I'd break it in with dirty water from my QT tank. I did a water change on my QT tank which is currently housing a multicolor angel and skunk cleaner shrimp. I took the dirty water and put it in a bucket with the skimmer. I let it run for a few days. It removed some waste from the water but, did not really produce skimmate and it did not overflow.

At this point, I thought it was broken in so I put it back into the DT system (in the 2nd chamber of the AIO back filter) and it is STILL overflowing!!

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Why is it working fine with the QT tank but overflowing with the DT? Could it be that I have a lot of dry rock in the DT that is causing it to go crazy? In aquascaping the DT, I used some glue and Aquaforest StoneMix to secure the rock. Could that be the issue?

If so, how long will it take for the glue and/or AF StoneMix to stop the skimmer from going crazy? Or, do I need to chill and once the DT finishes cycling, the skimmer should be fine?

Last edited by emilese; 12/31/2017 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Corrected some grammar
Unread 01/01/2018, 09:50 AM   #6
emilese
Registered Member

Anyone have a thought or suggestion?

Unread 01/01/2018, 10:03 AM   #7
LQT
Registered Member

Have you recently used epoxy to glue together rocks or frags in your tank? If so, the overflowing skimmer is normal. Give it ample time to settle down.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 12:50 AM   #8
emilese
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
Have you recently used epoxy to glue together rocks or frags in your tank? If so, the overflowing skimmer is normal. Give it ample time to settle down.
I used a very small amount to attach two rocks and I used a small amount of Aquaforest Stone Mix in some aquascaping.

This was a few weeks ago. If the epoxy or Stone Mix is the cause, how long will it take before it doesn't cause the skimmer to go crazy.

Yesterday, I tried raising with water height to 9.5 inches (I previously was 8 inches) and that seemed to help some but, it still is overflowing.

Unread 01/03/2018, 08:28 AM   #9
LQT
Registered Member

Give it more time... epoxy does I funny things to skimmers and the only remedy is time.

Unread 01/03/2018, 08:48 AM   #10
emilese
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
Give it more time... epoxy does I funny things to skimmers and the only remedy is time.
Thanks for the advice. I guess as with all things in this hobby, I just need to be patient.

Unread 01/04/2018, 08:29 AM   #11
emilese
Registered Member

Do I need to let it run? I can't let it run and spill out of the aquarium. Sorry for these questions. This wouldn't be much of an issue if I had a sump but not with this AIO setup.

I was thinking to let it sit and run it every few days to see if it is still overflowing.

Unread 01/04/2018, 08:52 AM   #12
LQT
Registered Member

Let it run with the collection cup off

Unread 01/04/2018, 09:09 AM   #13
emilese
Registered Member

It overflows worse with the skimmer cup off.

Unread 01/04/2018, 05:51 PM   #14
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

is something blocking the venturi? I would take it all apart and put it back together. Something isn't right.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 06:10 PM   #15
NVTE
Registered Member

What is your water level that your skimmer sit on ? Have you try to raise the skimmer up little?
Check your air intake for residue (less air draw) or break which might cause it to draw water instead of air.

Starting new 190 Gallon
NVTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2018, 12:30 AM   #16
emilese
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
is something blocking the venturi? I would take it all apart and put it back together. Something isn't right.
No, nothing's blocking the venturi.

Unread 01/05/2018, 12:33 AM   #17
emilese
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTE View Post
What is your water level that your skimmer sit on ? Have you try to raise the skimmer up little?
Check your air intake for residue (less air draw) or break which might cause it to draw water instead of air.
It's sitting in about 9.5 inches of water. I thought the water height could be an issue so I raised it from 8" to the current 9.5". Nonetheless, it's a little better but not much.

And, there's no problem with the air intake.

Unread 01/05/2018, 12:52 PM   #18
NVTE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilese View Post
It's sitting in about 9.5 inches of water. I thought the water height could be an issue so I raised it from 8" to the current 9.5". Nonetheless, it's a little better but not much.

And, there's no problem with the air intake.
I think differently. you might try shallow water. Try go back to 8" or less.

Starting new 190 Gallon
NVTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2018, 01:08 PM   #19
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

have you taken apart the skimmer and put it back together just to make sure it's assembled properly?

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2018, 05:04 PM   #20
reeftivo
Skim junkie

i agree with Mike

take it apart and reassemble. somethings wacky. it should have settled down by now.

epoxy's or mortars will mess with the surface tension of the bubbles and skimmers will act like there's soap in the water, but they settle down. Days are not normal. take it offline, disassemble and put back together then fire it up. raise the skimmer so less of the body is in the water but it will still pull from the tank. The epoxy would be cured by now so if it is still acting up then aggressively run carbon if you can. When i have to use a lot of epoxy i'll anticipate a PO'd skimmer and unplug it, refresh my carbon and keep a few gallons of fresh mixed salt water handy. after a few hours I'll plug the skimmer back in and if it's still overflowing i'll just let the skimmer pull water and keep emptying the cup until it settles down (ATO off of course). then i just replace what was skimmed out and plug the ATO back in.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 09:09 AM   #21
emilese
Registered Member

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice!
Quick update: I tried a couple things that were mentioned here in the thread and I think I may have a solution. I added a bag of carbon and I raised the skimmer height. When I did a test run, the skimmer did not overflow! Yesss!

Since I didn't know what the sweet spot for the height should be, I held the skimmer while doing the test. Now that I found the right height, I'll head to the store tomorrow and get the materials needed to put together a new skimmer stand.

I'll post and update when I'm done and it's running.

Thanks again everyone!

Unread 01/08/2018, 11:15 AM   #22
reeftivo
Skim junkie

cool

keep us updated

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 06:03 AM   #23
emilese
Registered Member

Smile It worked!

I put together a new skimmer stand set to the right height and now the skimmer is not overflowing anymore!

Running carbon for a few days and adjusting the height did the trick!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Unread 01/13/2018, 06:05 AM   #24
emilese
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilese View Post
I put together a new skimmer stand set to the right height and now the skimmer is not overflowing anymore!

Running carbon for a few days and adjusting the height did the trick!

Thanks everyone for your help!
I now have to get it tuned in to give me some good skimmate and how to resolve the micro bubbles coming from the skimmer.

Unread 01/14/2018, 10:22 PM   #25
smatter
Registered Member

Good news. I have been happy with mine.