Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/01/2018, 06:27 PM   #1
jcsquared
Registered Member

New Build Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL advice needed on equipment

Hi I am getting back into the hobby after taking 2.5 years off after we moved. I have decided on a Red Sea reefer 750 XxL. It is going to be a fowlr I need help with return pump, protein skimmer, UV sterilizer, heater. I am going to go with a apex system. And and all suggestions/opinions are welcome, thank you in advance Jay.

jcsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2018, 08:32 PM   #2
jcsquared
Registered Member

Quietness of the return pump and protein skimmer are also very important to me

Old 01/01/2018, 08:49 PM   #3
Wet Sleeve
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsquared View Post
Quietness of the return pump and protein skimmer are also very important to me
if you want quiet then DC return like the Vectra L or M series are great, i run a L series on my 135, even on its highest setting, unless i didn't see water flow i would not know its operating.

Skimmers, I've used bubble magus for a long time and they've been reliable and quiet and produce well.

Wet Sleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2018, 09:40 PM   #4
saf1
Registered Member

If you want a quiet skimmer do not purchase anything with a venturi.

Pumps consider DC such as the Vectra or Neptune Core that is release this month. There are a couple other brands out there such as Jebao that are also DC, less expensive, and quiet. I have one of the Jebao's for my return and I can't hear it at all. I've ordered Neptunes Cor which should arrive this week or next.

Since you mentioned Apex I would strongly consider the Cor 15. Price is right and it will integrate nice with your system and not use a powerbar plug.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2018, 09:56 PM   #5
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Nyos 160 skimmer should be a good fit, maybe to small, but they are pretty quiet. Very popular on the Red Sea tanks.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2018, 10:28 AM   #6
mako61
Registered Member

I have a RedSea 525xl. I changed to a Jabao DCS-12000 return pump a while back. ( my more expensive pump DC supply died ) Im very happy with the the Jabeo. Very quiet if not silent. For the price of a more expensive pump you can get 2 of them. I recommend some sort of backup for the return, it can be a lesser pump. I have 2 about the same now.

Originally I wanted a pump that I could control. After setting up my system I dont think there is any need to change the return pump speed once its setup. I use my apex just to turn it off and on an outlet.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2018, 11:09 AM   #7
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

As far as UV, I'd go with Aqua UV. Solid units. Make sure you size it properly or it may not be effective.
For heaters, I've been a big fan of Eheim Jagers for many years. They're long but work very well.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2018, 06:39 PM   #8
jcsquared
Registered Member

Thank you for all the responses as of now here is what I am thinking I am going with please good or bad reviews of equipment encouraged.

Protein skimmer between 3 as of now, icecap K2-200, vertex 200 omega skimmer , and reef octopus Regal 200 INT

Return Pump I am leaning towards Reef Octopus VarioS-8

Neptune Apex W/ Temp, PH, orp New system

150 lbs of live rock

100 lbs. of live sand

neptune leak detector kit

2- Hydra 26 HD with light mount kit not sure if I can go way cheaper as I am not doing a reef I want good lighting will 2 be enough on a 6 foot tank just to illuminate?

2 biotek marine bio series media reactor 4'X22' one for GFO one for Carbon?

Old 01/03/2018, 09:00 AM   #9
jcsquared
Registered Member

Also What are your thoughts on adding a UV Sterilizer? was looking at a 57 Watt Aqua UV?

Old 01/03/2018, 02:17 PM   #10
mako61
Registered Member

Reef Octopus VarioS-8 is the pump I have sitting in my closet. The AC-DC died and they sent me out a new one no issues. Its not a bad pump and support was great. I had the Jebao over nighted and saw no reason to switch back. I would recommend getting 2 Jebaos DCS-12000s for <= price and having a spare.

I have the pentair smart UV no complaints. Its basically a tube with unions. Im still on my first bulb so not sure how hard it will be to change. Options vary on UVs but I like them. My water is very clear and my ORP came up a bit when I put it online.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
Old 01/03/2018, 02:38 PM   #11
mako61
Registered Member

just FYI -

Im very happy with my RedSea 525XL. Its a great tank. I have a neptune also, very nice gear. Cant imagine not having that.

The one thing I did is went with a different ATO. The ATO tank on the RedSea is kinda in the way and I wanted a bigger tank ( external). I used a Tunze Osmolator. You can check out a vid of my setup on the homepage button. I spent some time and made a manifold to run my UV, reactors, etc off a single return pump. It hurt my flow a bit but its still ok. I prob have a few too many turns.

After I had most everything together I ran the system with fresh water for a day to check for leaks. I completely drained that water just to be careful.

Old 01/03/2018, 04:19 PM   #12
jcsquared
Registered Member

Mako thank you very much for the info. I am excited to get the tank up and running. It is scheduled to arrive the week of the 22nd. I was planning on doing a manifold as well. Did you use ball valves or gate valves? I was planning on using gate valves. I was going to go with a apex ATO. And was also thinking external RO resvoir as I cannot imagine 7.5 gallons lasting more than 3-4 days at best. What size top off tank are you using? How often do you refill it?

Old 01/04/2018, 10:51 AM   #13
mako61
Registered Member

I went with gate valves and lots of unions .... I used the colored PVC from bulk reef supply just for style :-) The biggest issue I had was connecting to the return on the RedSea. I ended up having to use the barb it came with. I wanted to do a direct connect and not have a barb to slow flow. Its a weird metric connection I never got to work.

Also I recommend changing the return outlet into your tank to this adapter. RedSea uses metric stuff here again.

https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/sh...34in-loc-line/

then a Y line lock - i just use 1-2 line loc pieces after that. They also have a nice random flow thing ( i dont use ) You have to be careful not to push this too deep into tank as it can cause a syphon into sump when return pump stops.

for a ATO tank I had to have something that was wife approved so I spent a little extra and got a

https://advancedacrylics.com/collect...off-new-design

I think its 13gal I cant remember. Lasts about a week. Very happy looks and works great. Be careful to not let the ato pump line get into the sump and create a back syphon. I use a little 1/2 pvc then stick the ato pump line into that to break syphon.

Old 01/04/2018, 08:24 PM   #14
jcsquared
Registered Member

Mako thank you very much forth info I have already ordered the Y line lock great info. I like the Top off resvoir and I think I am going to order one also. anything else you are helping me out tremendously.

Old 01/05/2018, 11:01 AM   #15
mako61
Registered Member

A few things :

if you use sand rinse it really well before you add to tank. I didnt do this correctly clouded my tank for a while.

I use redsea felt filter socks. It you do get a few sets. its easier to rotate them. I have 8 or so sets. ( got them over time not cheap) When they are all dirty I use the washing machine with pure bleach and this to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that wont hurt your tank. its basically powdered hydrogen peroxide. same stuff as oxiclean.

I run 2 heaters instead of one bigger one. Use the apex to make sure your tank doesnt over heat. I let the heaters control the temp and use apex to shut them off if too high heat. ( one outlet ) Some people do it the other way around. A common way to kill your tank is a heater stuck on.

Have a plan if your return pump fails. I had a smaller pump i used to move around water for changes. I used it till I fixed my return. I now just have 2 return pumps. I dont think there is any need to control return pump speed other than on/off. I got a controllable pump, cable, hooked it to apex, setup program ... and then never changed the speed. IMHO waste of time money. For feeding I just turn off powerheads not sure thats even needed in truth.

I am def not a pro these are just my options/observations . Lastly be patient nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

Old 01/05/2018, 11:20 AM   #16
mako61
Registered Member

Also:

If you dont have an RODI water system you should def consider one. With a tank that size you will be using a lot of water. There is a guy from buckeye hydro thats post here, they have pretty nice/reasonable systems.