Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2018, 09:15 PM   #1
ajoe
Registered Member

Bulk Head necessary for DIY Dosing Container

Evening all. I noticed a number of DIY Dosing containers did not utilize bulk heads in the lids. Any thoughts on skipping those or are they truly necessary. Not an expense/effort issue but just wanted to feel out why some skip these entirely.

cheers
ajoe

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:24 PM   #2
Gorgok
Registered Member

An air tight seal on a dosing container with a peristaltic pump would mean you are drawing a vacuum into it, which is probably not good long term (and may not work anyway). A connection at the top then doesn't need to seal anything as you probably are letting air in anyway, and at the top it can hardly leak liquids...

A fitting at the top looks prettier, and may be handy for maintenance (if its a push fitting especially), but that is up to you.

I use BRS jugs with the 'mixing cap' with a hole drilled into it for my dosing containers. The seal is 'splash proof' at best but leaks enough air so there is never a vacuum in them.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 06:06 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

poke/drill 2 holes and done.. one for the tubing.. one to let air in..
Thats all you "need"

Unread 02/09/2018, 10:09 AM   #4
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

you mean like this? I did it to attach the rigid tube inside the container that goes very close to the bottom, and the flexible hose will not come off or get disconnected. I used to just attach the flexible hose directly to the rigid tube that goes into a hole on top of the container. Sometimes it gets moved by accident, but for the most part, it worked fine.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 11:42 AM   #5
ajoe
Registered Member

Thank you all. Good points all around. I had planned on drilling a small hole next to the bulk head to avoid the vacuum issue as stated and is what many seam to do as well. The use of a ridged tube inside the container is likely the direction I will go with along with the bulk head. Appreciate you all. thanks

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 03:21 PM   #6
laverda
Registered Member

You can drill a smaller hole an stick the ridge tube through it and glue in place. The disadvantage is it will be harder to replace the tube if you brake it.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dosing container