Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 02:43 PM   #1051
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3rick478 View Post
Trigger and Filefish are loving the new delivery service!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
If only my filefish would gorge himself on the aiptasia....

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 03:07 PM   #1052
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
If only my filefish would gorge himself on the aiptasia....
That sucks, I just visited one of my LFS and they had a bunch of quarter sized aiptasia eating Filefish or at least they claimed they were. Hopefully yours wakes up and starts doing his job.

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 08:11 AM   #1053
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3rick478 View Post
That sucks, I just visited one of my LFS and they had a bunch of quarter sized aiptasia eating Filefish or at least they claimed they were. Hopefully yours wakes up and starts doing his job.

Ive had him for a couple months now. He does nothing in the tank and is worthless. On the plus side he leaves my corals alone...

Unread 02/23/2018, 02:17 PM   #1054
soulpatch
Registered Member

GAH I have 25 Berghia and 6 egg clutches arriving tomorrow. I'll give a few to a buddy of mine but the rest I am hoping to get into my tank ASAP. I REALLY need to catch the wrasse tonight...

Unread 02/23/2018, 10:06 PM   #1055
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Wow Just read this entire thread in one evening. Quality build. I admire your perseverance. Especially when it comes to the fish loses.

As for your Aiptasia problem, I know you have a plan using Berghia. I wish you luck!

As for Pep Shrimp I can tell you in my 20+ years in this hobby I have found Pep Shrimps to be a total waste of time and money when it comes to aiptasia eradication. I have 2 in my 40b and they have done nothing to get rid of aiptasia. They are worthless aesthetically since you will never seem them out except maybe while feeding.

I know your pain when it comes to Copperbands. I have tried a couple in my 135 over the past 20 years with no luck. My Purple Tang is the king of the system and nothing is added to the tank unless he approves it.

I don't have a issue with aiptasia in my 135 but I did have a issue with them in m 40b. With no help from the Pep Shrimp. I did a lot of research on what fish to use for Aiptasia eradication besides a Copperband and found that the Chaetodon kleinii was a great choice. They have a much better survival record and will decimate Aiptasia. I purchased one from LA and QT it. I knew my battle was won even before adding the fish to my 40b since my QT had a few Aiptasia in it and the Kleinii had decimated those with in hours of adding it to the QT tank. Plus it was eager to eat ANYTHING I feed it. With in 2 weeks of adding it to my 40b it had decimated ALL aiptasia in the 40b. Once done I placed it back into my QT. As for manually removing aiptasia I have found a mixture of Cold Pressed Lemon Juice and Hydrogen Peroxide willkill them. Usually with one hit. There is no side effects on the system using this if you use a syringe to zap them. Stab'em and squirt.

The Kleinii is now waiting in the QT on the arrival of my new 72x30x24 tank. The plan is once I switch out my 135 with the new tank I will add the Kleinii a couple weeks before the fish that were in the 135. Hopefully the Purple tang will be thrown for a loop and will allow the Kleinii in the new tank.

Note: Once the Kleinii finished with the aiptasia it started to nip on some Poly's and Gorgonia in the 40b. I think it was because of the small tentacles since it ignored LPS. I can't say what it would do with SPS. I dont keep SPS.

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 10:13 PM   #1056
soulpatch
Registered Member

Yeah problem with that butterfly is that they go after acans, zoas, and such. They apparently leave most sps alone but I would murder fish for hitting my acans.

I might need to get a barbless hook and fish out my w rasse tomorrow. He refuses to go into the traps

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 02/24/2018, 07:38 AM   #1057
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah problem with that butterfly is that they go after acans, zoas, and such. They apparently leave most sps alone but I would murder fish for hitting my acans.

I might need to get a barbless hook and fish out my w rasse tomorrow. He refuses to go into the traps

I would be protective of your collection of acans as well.😍

Good luck on the wrasse!

Do what I do, put what you think is the tightest cover on the tank you can and the next day you will still find it carpet surfed overnight. Sorry no legit recommendations removing the wrasse then what you have already tried.

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 09:24 AM   #1058
soulpatch
Registered Member

So I have not fed the tank since Friday in hopes to get the wrasse hungrier to go into a trap. I recieved my Berghia on Saturday and they are currently in a 10 gal tank with some rocks of Aiptasia. I am actually thinking of leaving up a tank like this to breed them as I can easily see the egg clutches and such.

HOPEFULLY the wrasse gets caught ASAP and I can get him moved from the tank to get the berghia in there. I did put some egg clutches into the DT and sump already but really need the berghia in there to begin to make a dent.

I did make a few more sales this past weekend. I sold the colony of my pink milli and garf bonsai keeping a decent sized frag of each to grow back out. A friend set up a new 300 gallon tank and he walked away with massive pieces to get started in there for only a couple hundred. He also grabbed some other frags on his way out the door as well so he has some life from the start.

I also sold my one large lobo as he was attacking corals if they were within 6 inches or so and he hit an acan so he had to go. Picked up a tubbs stelleta monti to back fill some.

And above ALL else I am FINALLY getting the pinks out of my disney and some nice coloration on a few other acros with one having been a bland mystery acro purchase that has colored up nicely.

Unread 02/27/2018, 10:57 AM   #1059
FLSharkvictim
Registered Member

Quote:
OK where to begin. I got my feet wet with my own salt tank last year getting a biocube. That thread is here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2476475

Suffice to say I quickly outgrew my biocube and started looking online for a larger tank. I finally decided on the 150 gallon SC Aquarium with an all wood stand. Within a week or so the tank and stand were delivered:

Here it is unboxed in my man cave:

And of course the requisite daughter in the tank pic:

The stand was great but I wanted to redo the interior. Having it sealed and painted white was important so I could see better and not worry as much about spills. So I taped off the "trim", sanded off the poly inside, sealed the corners and seams, and finally primed then painted white with appliance paint which formed a hard shell. LED lighting was added to light up the internals and allow me to see everything and neoprene on the floor for sound dampening:

I put in the sump (needed to remove the one support to get it in) and began to plan out my plumbing. I decided to go herbie and use the third hole in the overflow for my return. I know I want reactors, frag tank, and potentially other equipment to run off of the pump so I planned for a manifold as well. So thus far my sump and equipment are:

Trigger ruby elite 30 sump
fluval SP6 pump
life reef svs 24 skimmer
2 heaters
rw4 to be moved to the refugium area of sump
Pac Sun kore 5th doser
Building an obsession dosing containers with float sensor
Building an obsession ATO container with float sensor
Tunze ATO
Apex
Cabinet temp control fans
-------------------------------------------------------

Love to see some work from Building Obsessions, since I am getting ready to have them make me a sump!

Current Tank Info: SCA Rimless 150 Mixed Reef
FLSharkvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 11:02 AM   #1060
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSharkvictim View Post
-------------------------------------------------------

Love to see some work from Building Obsessions, since I am getting ready to have them make me a sump!
Always impressed with Ben. He has done a lot of things for me and the guys in my local club

Unread 02/27/2018, 11:27 AM   #1061
JonezNReef
Registered Member

I am having a bit of a Aptasia problem myself. I will be watching to see how this works for you before I try it out. But for now I have a CB in QT that I hope will help after its quarantine is over.

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 12:26 PM   #1062
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonezNReef View Post
I am having a bit of a Aptasia problem myself. I will be watching to see how this works for you before I try it out. But for now I have a CB in QT that I hope will help after its quarantine is over.
Good luck. Me and cbb don't get along apparently.

Unread 02/28/2018, 01:26 PM   #1063
soulpatch
Registered Member

Mel the wrasse continues to play hard to get. I assume our back and forth banter is some form of demented flirting for the fish. I wish he would begin to listen to me as I open my soul to him begging him to go into my trap. I think he is onto me at this point...

I am hoping by not feeding the tank save for what is in the trap that the other fish will begin to get angry and single him out for me. LOL

As for the berghia they are doing work on the aiptasia I put into my 10 gal tank and have already laid 5 egg spirals. I have moved 2 into my main DT to start production in there. I have been thinking more and so long as I have aiptasia I might try breeding the buggers and selling locally. Online they go for a minimum of $10 a pop so could be quite a cash crop if I can get it going...Even if I 1/2 that cost to go for $5 a pop I could turn a nifty profit...

Unread 03/05/2018, 08:29 AM   #1064
soulpatch
Registered Member

This wrasse is going to be the bane of my existence. I will be stopping this evening at the sporting goods store to pick up some tiny barbless hooks to attempt to fish him out. I did not want to hurt the guy but at this point the traps are not working.

Wrasse - 367
Soulpatch - 0

Unread 03/05/2018, 10:05 AM   #1065
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

Quote:
This wrasse is going to be the bane of my existence. I will be stopping this evening at the sporting goods store to pick up some tiny barbless hooks to attempt to fish him out. I did not want to hurt the guy but at this point the traps are not working.

Wrasse - 367
Soulpatch - 0
Lol, sorry he still evades you. I have been reading along. Smart little bugger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 425 XL Deluxe, Nano Max, 55g Observation, 20g QT
SereneAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 08:41 AM   #1066
soulpatch
Registered Member

so close last night. I had him in the trap and he was shooting for the hole to get back out and I put a net on the end to keep him in. Got the trap to just shy of the surface when my hand slipped ever so slightly and he got out.

Fishing hook never made it past my trigger. I had to shoo him away and he followed it as there was food. So not sure how to go that route unless I catch him too.

Unread 03/20/2018, 08:18 AM   #1067
soulpatch
Registered Member

I guess I havent updated in a week or so. The wrasse won out in the end and I started to lose a few of the Nudi in the holding tank so I had to risk them going into the tank. I wont know for some time if they are successful or not. In the mean time I kalk pasted some aiptasia on the other side of the tank from where I put them.

Last night while cleaning the glass I noticed some GHA around a coral. Odd. So I grabbed my look down and tweezers to grab it and noticed more below between rocks. My fuge normally handles all of my issues so I take a look down there and I am packed full much sooner then normal with macro. So I had a massive trim session to pull out handfuls down there. Hopefully that jump starts my export again. Likely go a couple days of no to light feeding of the tank too getting the tangs and foxface to perhaps do their job for once...

While in the tank I also noticed my one jabeo on the back wall was not running. I took it out and dipped in vinegar but no luck. It is dead. So time for new back wall pumps. I am currently torn if I go with something like a gyre or if I get some more coral box pumps and sync them all together throughout the tank. I'll replace my other jabeo on the back wall as well during this time so I can have a spare pump for emergencies or to throw into a mixing bucket.

I am likely going to take a trek to NJ for some fish from TSM corals as they QT all their livestock for well over a month before sale and treat in their holding tanks. I've met the owners and seen their facilities so am impressed enough to spend a bit more and grab some new fish. At the moment I believe I would be looking to grab a copperband (yes trying again), a form of blenny, perhaps a goby/shrimp pair, and likely some bagai cardinals. Need a CUC refresh as well....

Unread 03/20/2018, 11:36 AM   #1068
ReefWreak
Registered Member

That's a really neat looking site, and awesome that they QT seriously. Tough to find quality like that. Most import, load into tanks, and sell.

Sucks that the jeabo stopped working already. So much for considering them for my next pumps. Someone locally is breaking down a 300, and I saw some Tunzes in a pic, so maybe I can get those for cheap.

Where did you get your clean up crew from, or where would you recommend I order from?

Sorry it was tough catching the wrasse. I have no idea how people expect to catch fishes... I imagine it being next to impossible in a stocked reef. I'm hoping to maybe be able to cement most of my rocks into 3 big sections, so that they're easily removable together, and then just drain the tank down into brute cans below.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 11:45 AM   #1069
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Sucks that the jeabo stopped working already. So much for considering them for my next pumps. Someone locally is breaking down a 300, and I saw some Tunzes in a pic, so maybe I can get those for cheap.
NO NO. The Coral Box are doing outstanding still. This was a 2 year old Jabeo that I was not the best at cleaning being that it is on back wall and a pain to get magnet in place.

Quote:
Where did you get your clean up crew from, or where would you recommend I order from?
I usually order from live aquaria honestly. It is super easy to spend $75 to get them with free shipping. I do reef cleaners as well some but his shipping can be prohibitive

Quote:
Sorry it was tough catching the wrasse. I have no idea how people expect to catch fishes... I imagine it being next to impossible in a stocked reef. I'm hoping to maybe be able to cement most of my rocks into 3 big sections, so that they're easily removable together, and then just drain the tank down into brute cans below.
My concern is always damaging my coral to remove the rockwork. And once the SPS grow out it is very difficult to even grip the rock to get it out.

I will admit with my current rock issues I have thought about replacing all of my rock and sand to be honest. I look at TBS all the time and think about ordering in his package and moving corals to the new rock and selling whatever I cant remove from rock easily. It is always in back of my mind but I am looking at a grand to do it and a solid weekend plus to make the switch.

I'll give the berghia some more time to see if they make a dent before I start to plan next steps. plus I need to spend almost 200 to replace my back wall powerheads this month...

On the coral front I am having great growth and am looking to make a trip in May after I get back from Disney World to DC Aquatics as they have some items like JF Jolt which I really want in my tank...

Unread 03/20/2018, 11:51 AM   #1070
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Got it, Coralbox are still good, these are jeabo. I incorrectly assumed them to be the same.

I'll check out liveaquaria and reef cleaners, since it'll probably be a prohibitively large order, the shipping might not matter as much.

The problem with TBS is that you might get rock with aiptasia or mojanos on it already... It'll be nice reef rock, but nothing is guaranteed. Also there's gorilla crabs, mantis shrimp, pistol shrimp... Some of it cool, but some of it less than optimal.

I'm glad the coral are still growing well though. Good thing you're not closer to Manhattan/NYC. There are some folks growing crazy corals here, all from the original sources, and they come up pretty frequently on manhattanreefs for sale. I may just set aside a few hundred dollars and buy an insanely expensive frag pack of 5-10 frags, and let those grow out, once I confirm that the tank is stable, of course.

Who is DC aquatics?

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 12:03 PM   #1071
soulpatch
Registered Member

The jabeo in question are at least 2 years old at this point if not older....

aiptasia does not grow in the gulf. A very slight chance of mojano I guess but at least not aiptasia. I can deal with most of the other pests. I have been hrough his package before with others locally and it is pretty basic.

I like the assortment from live aquaria more so then reef cleaners.

I am planning to head down to Washington DC to DCA and taking over 500 down with me for a few frags. I have one guy locally who sells VERY high end corals he grows out. You can see on gregscorals.com for some of his stock.

Unread 03/21/2018, 04:30 AM   #1072
homer1475
Registered Member

And I'm still scared to buy SPS. Looking at that site(gregscorals) 150$ for a 3/4 to 1" frag?

Heck I bawk at 50$ for a frag of acan. lol But then again I have had 4 80$ fish die in the last week and don't think twice about it.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 05:47 AM   #1073
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
And I'm still scared to buy SPS. Looking at that site(gregscorals) 150$ for a 3/4 to 1" frag?

Heck I bawk at 50$ for a frag of acan. lol But then again I have had 4 80$ fish die in the last week and don't think twice about it.
150 is cheap.... the next frag I buy is likely gonna be a few hundred

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Unread 03/21/2018, 05:49 AM   #1074
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
150 is cheap.... the next frag I buy is likely gonna be a few hundred

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I think I might be in the wrong hobby. Or I'll just stick to LPS.

Or the entire loss of coral and fish has jaded my ability to judge whats doable for me in this hobby?

Unread 03/21/2018, 05:52 AM   #1075
homer1475
Registered Member

it could also be the fact I see no SPS at any LFS in my neck of the woods so I really have no idea what normal prices are.