Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 03/07/2018, 09:33 AM   #1
Ucantwin
Registered Member
 
Ucantwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orlando
Posts: 567
carbon dosing with chemiclean

I want to start carbon dosing to lower my no3. I always held off on doing it because I have some cyano and didn't want the cyano to take over. I started using chemiclean today to get rid of the cyano.

Am I able to start carbon dosing at the same time I started the chemiclean? My thoughts are I want to grow different bacteria as chemiclean dies off to hopefully not get cyano again from carbon dosing.

Thoughts on this?


Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2018, 09:51 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 16,951
yes you can carbon dose while using chemiclean..

carbon dosing does not cause cyano..
Some people that have dosed vodka have claimed that it has made their tank more likely to get cyano or that they have had cyano issues after using vodka and have never had them before but there is no proof that I've ever seen that an increase in carbon via dosing causes cyano..

There is no direct correlation that I have ever seen.. LOTS of rumors though... But thats what this hobby is all about ..spreading rumors


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2018, 10:04 AM   #3
Ucantwin
Registered Member
 
Ucantwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orlando
Posts: 567
Carbon dosing does increase the number of bacteria and cyano is a bacteria is why I figured it would grow my cyano. Thanks for the reply!


Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2018, 10:25 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 16,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Carbon dosing does increase the number of bacteria and cyano is a bacteria is why I figured it would grow my cyano. Thanks for the reply!
Thats just an assumption you are making.. unless you have facts to back that up

Cyano is there for a reason.. Its actually the reason we are all on this world..
Its a VERY beneficial bacteria..
I do not think an abundance of carbon is the cause of cyano though..


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2018, 11:20 AM   #5
RobZilla04
Registered Member
 
RobZilla04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 1,838
I would not Carbon dose during Chemiclean treatment due to the fact that the skimmer is turned off during that time. Although dosing small amounts probably wont hurt anything.


__________________
90g Mixed Reef
RobZilla04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2018, 11:46 AM   #6
ktownhero
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
yes you can carbon dose while using chemiclean..

carbon dosing does not cause cyano..
Some people that have dosed vodka have claimed that it has made their tank more likely to get cyano or that they have had cyano issues after using vodka and have never had them before but there is no proof that I've ever seen that an increase in carbon via dosing causes cyano..

There is no direct correlation that I have ever seen.. LOTS of rumors though... But thats what this hobby is all about ..spreading rumors
The only time I have ever had cyano in my tank was during a period where I experimented with carbon dosing using NOPOX. Never again. Tank has been beautiful and cyano-free after that battle.


ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2018, 11:49 AM   #7
Ucantwin
Registered Member
 
Ucantwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orlando
Posts: 567
Thanks robzilla, I didn’t even think about the skimmer not taking the bacteria out. Good call on that one!


Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2018, 04:30 PM   #8
RobZilla04
Registered Member
 
RobZilla04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 1,838
^yw


__________________
90g Mixed Reef
RobZilla04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2018, 04:56 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 16,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
The only time I have ever had cyano in my tank was during a period where I experimented with carbon dosing using NOPOX. Never again. Tank has been beautiful and cyano-free after that battle.
And I've had cyano in a tank that I never carbon dosed in along with thousands of others I'm sure.. :shrug:


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2018, 06:48 PM   #10
BeachBumm
Registered Bumm
 
BeachBumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
And I've had cyano in a tank that I never carbon dosed in along with thousands of others I'm sure.. :shrug:
I just have to say this and I am just kidding but , did you do it with just duct tape "Mcgyvr" ?


BeachBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2018, 07:57 AM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 16,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumm View Post
I just have to say this and I am just kidding but , did you do it with just duct tape "Mcgyvr" ?
It also required a popsicle stick and the foil wrapper from a stick of gum..


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.